Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2009, 17:19   #1
BHPian

Upgraded - New Alloys and Tires on my i10!

Team BHPians - I have upgraded my i10 1.2 Kappa with a new set of Alloys and Tires. I had already done 7000+kms on my stock tires and badly felt the need for a new set of footwear. My beauty was wobbling and wailing on the stocks and also had a puncture recently.

I have given below the details of the upgrade. Request the gurus to let me know if the upgrade is OK. Based on the information available on team-BHP, I chose the below.

Alloys - League SM. Rs 14,000 for a set of five. 13" 5.5J

Tires - Michelin XM1+ (Made in Thailand). 175/70/R13. Rs 3200x5 = Rs. 16,000

Fitting and Balance = Rs. 600

Total = Rs. 30,600

Stock Rims and Tire buy back = Rs 5,500 (As I had already done 7000+ kms on the stock tires)

Total Paid = Rs. 25,100

I got it done from Autoshop, Koramangala Bengaluru and could not bargain anymore. Apart from the bills for the tires, i did not get any warranty slip as such. Do we get a separate warranty card for the Tires or will the bill just suffice? I have just about driven 10 kms on the new footwear and could make out a small difference in terms of handling. Am running 32psi on all the new tires and felt the ride to be a bit bumpy.

Am no expert in this and hence any tips and suggestions from the gurus will be appreciated. There is also a plan for a long drive the coming weekend. Photos for your reference as well .
Attached Thumbnails
Upgraded - New Alloys and Tires on my i10!-picture-001.jpg  

Upgraded - New Alloys and Tires on my i10!-picture-006.jpg  

Upgraded - New Alloys and Tires on my i10!-picture-008.jpg  

Upgraded - New Alloys and Tires on my i10!-picture-011.jpg  

Upgraded - New Alloys and Tires on my i10!-picture-009.jpg  

NFS2024 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2009, 20:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

NFS,
Great looking alloys. Really suits the color of the car. Why dint you try 185 profile tyres ?

And even I got just a bill saying 195/60/15. No name no card.
Old 20th January 2009, 21:22   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

The bill is usually enough to claim warranty provided the shop is an authorised dealer for Michelin.

The alloys look good. Congrats!

PS: Didnt you get a bill for the alloys?

Didnt you get alignment done? Since it's already done 7000 kms, it's time to get the alignment done too right?
Old 21st January 2009, 00:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

You should insist on a Michelin warranty card for the tyres.
Old 21st January 2009, 21:25   #5
BHPian

@Fountainheader - thanks. I chose 175 based on the info available on the forum.

@Nikhilb2008 - thanks. Yea alignment is one of the things I have on mind. But the guys who fixed the wheel said it may not be needed. But what i have noticed is that the drive is not at all comfortable. The car wobbles and wails and the ride is bumpy as well. I also noticed that the tire noise was more when compared to the stocks. What can be the reason for this? Has this got to do with alignment or is it because of the tire pressure or something else?

I was expecting a better ride and comfort, but it has turned out to be otherwise. Can somebody please point out the reasons and also where i can get the alignment done in Bangalore

@iraghava - I will check again on the warranty card with Autoshop.
Old 22nd January 2009, 00:18   #6

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post

I was expecting a better ride and comfort, but it has turned out to be otherwise. Can somebody please point out the reasons
Actually when you upsize you do the opposite.Youe stock tire 155/80R13 had more sidewall height to absorb and cushion the bumps.After the upsize,your sidewall height has decreased by 1.5mm.
Though its a very small diffence and should not make too much of a difference.Maybeyou had set your expectations too high.What this size offers you is better grip and handling and similar ride comfort.
Hmm...xm1's are generally very quiet tires especially compared to the stock ones.
Old 22nd January 2009, 12:12   #7
BHPian

@hellspawn - am not sure if the issue is with alignment or something else. I did not get any alignment done along with the upgrade.

The reason i say this is the ride has become more bumpier and i can feel the steering shudders more when I hit a pothole or a speedbreaker and gear know vibrates more. Otherwise the car feels more planted and the steering is a bit harder at slow speeds which i have noticed.
Old 23rd January 2009, 19:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats! Good choice about Michellin and nice alloy upgrade.

About ride to be more bumpy the erasons might be:

1. i10 and Santro share almost similar suspension setup but I noticed ride comfort is better in i10 than Santro and it should be because of better suspension setup and 80 profile tyre comapred to 70 profile tyre of Santro. Because you have 70 profile tyre ride quality will come down compared with stock.

2. XM1+ is very good tyre because I can see huge differance with my Alto when i changed tyres but my primary requiment was better ride comfort so I sticked to stock size and ride quality improved by huge margin when I changed tyres to XM1+. So even after choosing XM1+ If ride quality not improved (although 70 profile tyre compard to stock 80 ..) check your Alloys If they match i10 in terms of ET (offset) and PCD.

3. Make sure they have fit your tyres "OUTSIDE" letter on tyre facing outside and not inside, xm1+ are assymetric.

4. Check the alignment in trusted shop.

5. Alloy has 8 holes so its called Multi PCD alloy I remember, so chances like its not suitable fully for i10, but its just my guess as I don't know exact specification of that alloy.

6. Check 3 different tyre pressure, same as what you used to keep before, 1 extra and 1 less. I keep 1 less in City use than recomanded tyre pressure for better ride comfort unless car is with full load (3 people + luggage).

Make good homework on different reasons for the issue you are facing and take right call

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 23rd January 2009 at 19:38.
Old 11th February 2009, 16:56   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Congrats! Good choice about Michellin and nice alloy upgrade.

About ride to be more bumpy the erasons might be:

1. i10 and Santro share almost similar suspension setup but I noticed ride comfort is better in i10 than Santro and it should be because of better suspension setup and 80 profile tyre comapred to 70 profile tyre of Santro. Because you have 70 profile tyre ride quality will come down compared with stock.

2. XM1+ is very good tyre because I can see huge differance with my Alto when i changed tyres but my primary requiment was better ride comfort so I sticked to stock size and ride quality improved by huge margin when I changed tyres to XM1+. So even after choosing XM1+ If ride quality not improved (although 70 profile tyre compard to stock 80 ..) check your Alloys If they match i10 in terms of ET (offset) and PCD.

3. Make sure they have fit your tyres "OUTSIDE" letter on tyre facing outside and not inside, xm1+ are assymetric.

4. Check the alignment in trusted shop.

5. Alloy has 8 holes so its called Multi PCD alloy I remember, so chances like its not suitable fully for i10, but its just my guess as I don't know exact specification of that alloy.

6. Check 3 different tyre pressure, same as what you used to keep before, 1 extra and 1 less. I keep 1 less in City use than recomanded tyre pressure for better ride comfort unless car is with full load (3 people + luggage).

Make good homework on different reasons for the issue you are facing and take right call

Ravi.
@ravibhat thanks, my perception (if i can call that) has changed after driving the car on the new tires for sometime. Please see below

1. I feel the handling and cornering has improved greatly after having done nearly 1000+ kms on the new tires

2. Agree with you on this. The handling and cornering has improved tremendously. But can let me know how to check the offset and PCD. I remember seeing the PCD to be 100 or 110 for the alloys when i got it fitted

3. The fitting is correct, have checked it

4. I need to get the alignment done

5. This am not sure, gurus pls help me on this

6. Right now am using 32 all round and the ride is a bit bumpy, but am sure with 30 the ride will become that much softer/smoother

Recently i did a 700+ kms out of town trip and believe me the handling/cornering was pretty good with low noise levels as well. Am liking what the XM1+ has to offer and would definitely recommend it to anyone wanting to upgrade their tires.
NFS2024 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2009, 18:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Multi PCD alloys can be fit on more than one vehicle with different PCD. Thats what I understood.

About ET (Offset) you can check PCD and ET both on alloys.

As long as alloy is mounted well your allow is right one!

Good that you feel better now XM1+ is very good tyre, my Alto is super smooth with it.

Ravi.
Old 28th January 2010, 18:42   #11
BHPian

Almost booked / should I ?

I am planning to book a white i10 ! (magna).
I was also thinking about Alloy upgrades and thinking about finding the combination and price and I found your thread @NFS!!

Well,
I see that your configuration is returning stable and satisfactory results.
I am positive about getting alloys,
Just wanted to know
#1. Can I get it swapped from the dealer at buy time?/ (so as to get the best deal!/buy back price?)
#2. If not #1, then, when is the right time to change from stock wheel+tyres to alloys+MX+ ( I am getting Bridgestones as stock)

Thank you for your information+illustration!

Care.

Ace.
Old 28th January 2010, 22:13   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Usually your car dealer will not be a Michelin dealer and because of that, he will charge oyu very high. It's better you go to a tyre shop outside and get it done.

It's best to get the tyres changed in the first 50-100 kms itself. You will get the best possible value for it.

On i10's stock wheels, you CANNOT fit 175/70 R13 tyres. You need wider rims. Either steel rims(hard to find) or alloys.
Old 28th January 2010, 22:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

NFS2024 - Nice alloys and a good choice of tire!
I had also upgraded my tires+rims on the day I took delivery
Upgraded to 185/60R14 Yoko ES100 mounted on 14" 6J plati wheels - 5300+ kms and I am super satisfied.

@driverace - best to get tires+wheels swapped out at some good aftermarket shop soon after you get your car delivered. Are you considering 13" or 14" ?
Old 29th January 2010, 22:39   #14
BHPian

thats tempting now!

@blackasta
Now, thats tempting me to go in for 14 inchers!
Well, Can we draw a technical-line that would help me decide between the 13 or 14 dia wheels? ( other than personal choice..)
Another question:
going to 14" from stock > did you do any alteration to the stock suspension / ride height?
Assuming No change in suspension translates to a half inch rise in ride height! that should affect the car dynamics, right?
I am still thinking 13" would be as close as I can be to stock settings.. (just a thought)
Please enlighten.

@Nikhilb2008

When I upgrade, I am surely going for the pair up : i.e. Tyre+wheel,
but thank you for that information as well!
I wasnt sure about that..
Old 30th January 2010, 00:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

I did no changes to suspension, but the car surely feels more manageable on turns/high speeds.
If you wanna go for 14" , 185/60R14 is the best thing from 155/80R13.
Technical line.......I do not think there is any except for the bling factor, nearest circumference matching and a small amount of extra road grip than 175/70R13.
And 175/70R13 gives you -.52% difference in circumference from stock, whereas 185/60R14 gives you -0.1% difference (perhaps another reason to go for 185/60R14?)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks