Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2005, 15:20   #1
BANNED

New City what to do?

Of late i have been notcing my new Citys tyres tend to lock up alot and also the car starts to slide too much. Once was almost going into a BEST bus due to lots of dust on the road as construction work was going on road. Also the tyres tend to lay rubber on the road alot on normal turning and screech when turned hard. They have done around 10K and this seems to happen. What should i do. Should i change them? If i would change i think i would go in for 195/60/R14. Are they the right ones to go for. I would be going for 14 inchers only and not 15 inchers so kindly advice tyres in 14 inch rim size. Now the only thing being that i dont know which brand to go for. I am confused in the following.
1) Goodyear Eagle F1 - Rs. 3200
2) Goodyear GSD2 - Rs. 4800
3) Michlin Pilot Precedes (is the extra price worth it) - Rs. 5200
4) Read some thing about some Yokohamas as well but dont have any clue about them.
Also i have been getting FE of about 10 KMPL. Should i try to reset the battery or something.
I need your help experts
Old 24th April 2005, 16:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

Why are Eagle F1s and GS D2s listed separately? I thought those were called Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D1/2/3. Michelin commands higher price, softer compound tyres, good grip in the dry, lairy in the wet. Probably compromise on tyre life too, due to more wear.
Old 24th April 2005, 16:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

why is the potenza GIII not considered???????are these tires more superior???????
Old 24th April 2005, 18:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yup check out the GIIIs too. Gone are the days when Bridgestones were considered harsh and less grippy. These tyres are a class apart.

Potenza G3 reviews on team-bhp.
1. G3s on Indica - by TSK1979

2. G3s on City Vtec - by me

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 24th April 2005 at 19:23.
Old 24th April 2005, 20:44   #5
BHPian

well i would suggest to go down on the profile a little bit, coz... such a high profile with 195 width may spoil the handling of ur car. And secondly i will STRONGLY INSIST THAT YOU GO IN FOR THE GOODYEAR EAGLE GSD 3s!!!! I MEAN VERY STRONGLY FOR THE GSD3s!!! The precedes are not too good, although they are more expensive.

And yeah dunt even think about these japanese and korean tires, they are worth nothing!
Old 25th April 2005, 13:36   #6
BANNED

Hey thanks alot bhpians..
Well I was told by the tyre dealer that Eagle F1 and GS d2 are different. Anywayz didnot like the grip of the Potenzas too much. Just look plain in tread patter. Well i am ready to consider gIIIs or any other tire for that matter but my requirements are good grip on speeds excess of 100kmph and most important criteria is braking. THe car should not slide or lock up at hard braking. Shan i just read the review and it seems the gIIIs seem to slide alot which i dont want at all. Also reason being Indica being heavy where as the New city is still heavier. Also presently the GPS 2 begin to screech at speeds of 60kmph while turning ofcourse. I guess 195.60.14 are the right choice. Now i want a good tyre which wont lock up easily. Jigarmuni me not planing to consider any other tyres except the Bridgestones(On shans and SS advice) and the Good year. Not even considering the Michelins as they are way too costly and those price i can get alloys as well.. though they already there. Dont know which ones to go for. GS D2, Goodyear Eagle F1, or the GIIIs?? Help
Old 25th April 2005, 16:27   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONTOYA
Dont know which ones to go for. GS D2, Goodyear Eagle F1, or the GIIIs?? Help

MONTOYA i have GSD2s on my Vtec, i have driven quite a few cars with GSD3s..... so i would suggest u not to go for the GSD2s.... otherwise.....u can visit this site www.tirerack.com It will clear all your doubts...!!
Old 25th April 2005, 16:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Of late i have been notcing my new Citys tyres tend to lock up alot and also the car starts to slide too much. Once was almost going into a BEST bus due to lots of dust on the road as construction work was going on road. Also the tyres tend to lay rubber on the road alot on normal turning and screech when turned hard. They have done around 10K and this seems to happen.
But people, is this kinda behaviour expected from 10K old tyres on the City? Or is Montoya living upto his nick?
Old 25th April 2005, 19:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MONTOYA i have GSD2s on my Vtec, i have driven quite a few cars with GSD3s..... so i would suggest u not to go for the GSD2s
But JM, the GSD3s don't come in 14". They start from 15".

I'd say GSD2 or Potenza GIII. Choose one.

Shan2nu
Old 25th April 2005, 20:20   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigarmuni
And yeah dunt even think about these japanese and korean tires, they are worth nothing!
I was about to buy the G3s from my new Baleno and Iceman recommended the Yokohamas over the G3. So I ended up getting the Yokohamas. Why do you think Japanese tyres are bad?

The 195/60R14 Yokohamas are giving me excellent ride quality. I am quite happy with their road grip too.
Old 25th April 2005, 20:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Of late i have been notcing my new Citys tyres tend to lock up alot and also the car starts to slide too much. Once was almost going into a BEST bus due to lots of dust on the road as construction work was going on road. Also the tyres tend to lay rubber on the road alot on normal turning and screech when turned hard. They have done around 10K and this seems to happen. What should i do. Should i change them? If i would change i think i would go in for 195/60/R14. Are they the right ones to go for. I

Also i have been getting FE of about 10 KMPL. Should i try to reset the battery or something.
I need your help experts

hey montoya,
the NHC is definitely not the car for your kind of driving.

dont seem to understand the rubber laying on normal turns.can u please explain.

why do u want to reset the battery.how do u expect a better FE when u rip the car that way.

drive safe
Old 25th April 2005, 21:43   #12
BANNED

Hey Jigarmuni as i am going for 14 inchers and Shan has mentioned that GSD3s are not available in 14inchers

Hey Amitoj exactly my point that Honda making a car like a City and putting such thin rubber is sad. These tyres are just not meant for this car as this car is really heavier at approx 1100 Kgs(with driver)

Well i do live up to my nick but no sharp cornering as such and very few wheelspins less then 5 but still this behavior from the tyres..

Shan what about the Eagle F1s. Do they make as much noise as they are claimed to do? Rain grip is excelent in them i guess. But my main criteria is braking and Road grip at excess of 120kmph..

Samurai as your car is till virgin we cant say too much about the tyres. When i bought the New City i also felt the same but recently problems have started occuring after the 7000Kms mark..

Well SS i know NHC not a car for my type of driving expecaially after having a 1.5Exi with 100 bhp on tap( i sitll love the OHC) but then there are times in life when you have to let the head rule rather then the heart. Exactly i dont get the point as well how rubber is layin. The tyre seem to get hot or something after driving about 40km at speeds like 130( not constant) and when i park the car i see track line with rubber. Well i dont have any idea about the battery part just heard some one told me about it so was just confirming. I guess i am wrong about that. Well i really dont rip the car the way my nick is making you bhpians assume. Its just that in normal driving conditions with some times you have to pull in Mumbai traffic as once you get stuck behind you get stuck for bad long time.
Cheers.
JPM
Old 25th April 2005, 21:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shan what about the Eagle F1s. Do they make as much noise as they are claimed to do? Rain grip is excelent in them i guess. But my main criteria is braking and Road grip at excess of 120kmph..
I don't have Eagle F1s so i cant comment on them. If you wanna know anything about the GIIIs, i can give you a detailed report on that. Hehe

Shan2nu
Old 25th April 2005, 21:58   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Samurai as your car is till virgin we cant say too much about the tyres. When i bought the New City i also felt the same but recently problems have started occuring after the 7000Kms mark..
Well, Iceman's Baleno too has Yokohamas... Why else do you think I went for it...
Old 25th April 2005, 22:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, Iceman's Baleno too has Yokohamas... Why else do you think I went for it...
He doesn't have stock suspenssion. Hehe

Shan2nu
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks