Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2009, 22:58   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
would indicate someone actually grinding rubber off the tyre.
You mean someone actually did that with malicious intent? Or an act of vandalism? That's scary! The car stays parked at various places, and there's no way I can pin it down to any individual or area. And here I was worrying about misalignment and broken bearings.
Old 4th February 2009, 23:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

Could be a rat gnawing or a pup trying to chew something solid.
Old 5th February 2009, 00:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

My take on the situation is that there are two problems which caused this:

1. Flat spot (highlighted in the red circle) - The tyre got one flat spot either by a driving mistake or a manufacturing defect and that is cause for that bald piece of rubber.

2. Bad Alignment (highlighted in blue circle) - That single spot where the steel threads are poking out are a direct result of bad alignment. For further proof you can see that the top most band of the tyre tread is worn out more than the other bands of tread below it.

If I were you, I would replace this tyre asap since it already has the steel belts exposed & could result in a failure at any without any warning.

Good VFM Infinity tyre damaged-abcd0011.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Any particular reason for that Ishaan? Not good?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Irghava,

Any particular reason for your observation for your dislike of this brand?
Well I don't like fitting tyres of no brand name companies on my cars because one doesn't know what quality they are. Cost itself should not be the top priority while buying something as important as tyres in my book.

Last edited by iraghava : 5th February 2009 at 01:01.
Old 5th February 2009, 03:49   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
SS-traveller, we are trying to point out that there is no way a misalignment can create a single flatspot. Also, if you notice, some of the dirt marks to the right of the exposed metal run perpendicular to the direction of rotation, which would indicate someone actually grinding rubber off the tyre.
SS-T: This is what we all are trying to say; what you say and what the picture says do not sync.

Good VFM Infinity tyre damaged-untitled.jpg

Two different directional damages.

The only other way this can happen is by vandalism.
Old 5th February 2009, 03:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

HW - The scruff/impact in box B could have also been caused by a stone impact.
Old 5th February 2009, 04:05   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
HW - The scruff/impact in box B could have also been caused by a stone impact.
Possible, but if you notice the direction of the marks caused, it does not align with the only possible movement of the tire, that is forward.

The marks are at 90 degree angle to the straight line. And for the required speed to cause this damage by going over a stone cannot be attained at regular drive, unless a high speed turn was done at which time the tire hit a stone at this angle.
Old 5th February 2009, 10:10   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
replace this tyre asap since it already has the steel belts exposed & could result in a failure at any without any warning.

Cost itself should not be the top priority while buying something as important as tyres in my book.
Tyre replaced, and I didn't lose my money or my life in the process of trying out these tyres - two tyres (including this damaged one) were discarded and 2 new Bridgestones fitted immediately as I found this. The other 2 Infinity tyres are doing fine, have 50% tread left, and no damage anywhere. In fact, I've been more than happy with their performance. 32,000 km for Rs.1400, no punctures, great grip and ride, great handling... what more would I want from any tyre.

Quote:
SS-T: This is what we all are trying to say; what you say and what the picture says do not sync.
Two different directional damages.
The only other way this can happen is by vandalism.
AND THAT'S SCARY

Quote:
Possible, but if you notice the direction of the marks caused, it does not align with the only possible movement of the tire, that is forward.

The marks are at 90 degree angle to the straight line. And for the required speed to cause this damage by going over a stone cannot be attained at regular drive, unless a high speed turn was done at which time the tire hit a stone at this angle.
That's why I wanted member opinions, so posted the pics - my technical funda and what the tyre shows are not in sync too. This kind of damage - longitudinal as well as transverse scuffing - is common in case of broken bearings. But I had absolutely no broken bearings. I checked. I double checked. I opened up and checked the hub too. Could be a high-speed turn + stone - which messed up the alignment too. Remember, the car came back from a 5000-km run in Jan'09. Or it could be vandalism.
Old 5th February 2009, 13:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Well I don't like fitting tyres of no brand name companies on my cars because one doesn't know what quality they are. Cost itself should not be the top priority while buying something as important as tyres in my book.
True. I was just wondering if the tires were no good as someone mentioned that they are sold in USA as well and in decent numbers. Safety is the WORD. Cost shouldn't be looked at while considering safety.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks