Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2009, 15:06   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Why should I?
You only passed a blanket statement that customers who bought Michelin tyres are facing this problem!
Now, please back your claims with some facts and figures.

Oh, Bangalore roads are heaven now!

And those who complained about tyre bulge issues were from Mandya, Tumkur, Davangere, Chitradurga etc ??
I am surprised at such remarks.

My views were from what I have heard in the market so I had asked you to reach out if you needed further clarification. I presume you know that Team-Bhp or such forums are just a small percentage of total automobile users.

Yes people do travel out of Bangalore and YES bangalore roads are much better than most roads outside bangalore.
Old 10th February 2009, 15:12   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
My views were from what I have heard in the market so I had asked you to reach out if you needed further clarification.
So you want me to prove what you have heard in the market?

If you are claiming that all tyres from XYZ brand is having a problem, why don't you present some facts and figures to substantiate your claim?

Last edited by finneyp : 10th February 2009 at 15:30.
Old 10th February 2009, 15:33   #48
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Technically,in most cases what causes a cut on the inside of a tyre is the edge of the wheel rim hitting the inner surface on impact / going over a kerb. Now most people disagree with this logic (understandably though) saying if there's a cut on the inside it's a manufacturing defect,since there is no visible injury outside. It's quite akin to getting a hairline fracture where you do not have an external injury but can see a swelling. What that 'cut' does is to damage the nylon cord / casing of the tyre resulting in a bulge as the rubber is no longer held together by the nylon cords. I hope this explains it a bit.
How does the rim of the wheel come in contact with the inner surface of the tyre?

I understand about the 'bulge'! If there is a mark on the outside and a bulge, the reasoning would be again 'external causes' and it is the same if there is a cut on the inside. So effectively a 'bulge' effectively is the owner's problem.

I am not too sure whether your comparison to a hairline fracture is appropriate.

Anyway, I am resigned to the fact that getting fancy tyres and expecting them to be long lasting is not possible in our country. Bad roads either damage the tyre or spoil the alignment and then spoil the tyres.

But tyre companies are safe. It is more like fit and forget / sell and forget!
Old 10th February 2009, 16:49   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

@trrk --- The rim of the wheel comes in contact when the tyre hits a pothole at high speed. The tyre gets compressed and the edge of the rim hits the inside of the tyre causing a small cut.

The comparison to a hairline fracture(or any fracture actually) is because generally there is no damage on the outside. But on the inside, the bone is broken/cracked(in case of a tryre, it is the cords getting cut/damaged). The only sign is a swelling(in case of a tyre, it's a bulge).
Old 10th February 2009, 16:56   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,How does the rim of the wheel come in contact with the inner surface of the tyre ?

It is more like fit and forget / sell and forget!
I've put up a picture with a rather crude attempt to show what part hits the inside when u go over a kerb or hit a pothole. As for the sell and forget part, I guess no customer is satisfied with the reasoning of a tyre service engineer and vice versa. But nevertheless, companies do replace tyres when there is a genuine manufacturing defect.

Anant, I do not know about the warranty part of hankook,but they're decent tyres (come as OE on the Captiva) I do know that nankang is being offered with a 3 year unconditional (read as upto 50% of tread wear,that means the tyre will be replaced even if it is run flat/has the much hated 'bulge'/has mounting damage/has been damaged in any form as long as there is 50% of the tread remaining. This again is done on a pro-rata basis meaning you still have to cough up dough for the life of the tire consumed)

Dieselfan, I agree with finnyep, how can you run down a particular brand based on hearsay ?? If there is genuinely a technical issue you should've followed it up with facts rather than asking him to 'go to JC road'

Proxima go right ahead and fit the XM1's they are good tyres and will serve you well as long as you too show your tyres some respect and treat them with care And before you start assuming thigs,no I do not sell michelin's so there is no personal gain or anything here. I'm just telling you to avoid hearsay. Dieselfan for all his rants against the company has only 'heard' things
Attached Thumbnails
Warranty on new tyres-bhp.jpg  

WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2009, 17:11   #51
Senior - BHPian

22000 km+ of hard driving on Michelin PP2s and still going on. Have been on good roads, bad roads, no roads, off the roads, racetracks, horrible stones and what not. No bulges, no cracks, no nothing. Have had two punctures and both had nails embedded into the tyre. There's still quite a lot of life left in them.

Oh yes coming to the warranty, I got warranty cards .
Old 10th February 2009, 17:25   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
22000 km+ of hard driving on Michelin PP2s and still going on. Have been on good roads, bad roads, no roads, off the roads, racetracks, horrible stones and what not. No bulges, no cracks, no nothing. Have had two punctures and both had nails embedded into the tyre. There's still quite a lot of life left in them.

Oh yes coming to the warranty, I got warranty cards .
Dont say that!! The life of those tyres is over. They are crap now. Change them asap!!

BTW, you take good care of those tyres. Trust me on that. You dont abuse them enough for them to develop bulges. Of course, I think luck also has a part to play. Plus, you have a slightly higher profile than usual. 205/60-15 if I remember correctly.

You got warranty cards because that was my first sale of my life!
Old 10th February 2009, 17:34   #53
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
I've put up a picture with a rather crude attempt to show what part hits the inside when u go over a kerb or hit a pothole.
Thanks.

Being in the retail business, I think I should have been more understanding!
Old 11th February 2009, 23:22   #54
VEA
BHPian

Add to all these problems, you will only find michelins available in certain sizes. I was trying to get 235/60/16 couple months back in cochin. Only michelin was available in the 4 shops i asked. I could have got something else had i waited for two days for the dealers to bring the tyres in. But I couldnt wait because i wont be free when the tyre comes. Had to buy michelin eventhough i have had problems (a bulge, i cant say if it was a defect or damage) with michelin before. but this time i insisted i dont need a warranty card, because i found it worthless!
Old 30th November 2015, 10:47   #55
BHPian

Re: Warranty on new tyres

I got my tyres upgraded in September 2015 since my older Michelins were 3 1/2 years and 65000 kms old.
The new shoes were Bridgestone B250 (can't recall the exact number). Now its been 3000 kms and nearly 3 months and the front tyre has a crack at the wall owing to a pothole that I passed through at a speed of 20 kph. When I took it to the closest puncture shop it was proven that the wall of tyre (where I think the rubber is the thickest has a nasty crack.
I had this problem with stock Apollo tyres where there was a big gash and I had to get a new tyre. In this case the tyre is cracked on the wall.
Now I have the following questions
1) Any possibility of repairs or mending the crack ?
2) If no chance of repairs , then any chance I can claim or get a new tire with warranty. I am not sure if this will work since the warranty might not cover this damage and the fine print will ensure I do not get this.
3) Are Bridgestone's really this bad ? Never had this experience with my earlier Michelins. I had punctures but never this cracking of the tyre wall.
Old 30th November 2015, 11:55   #56
Senior - BHPian

Re: Warranty on new tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
I got my tyres upgraded in September 2015 since my older Michelins were 3 1/2 years and 65000 kms old.
The new shoes were Bridgestone B250 (can't recall the exact number). Now its been 3000 kms and nearly 3 months and the front tyre has a crack at the wall owing to a pothole that I passed through at a speed of 20 kph. When I took it to the closest puncture shop it was proven that the wall of tyre (where I think the rubber is the thickest has a nasty crack.
I had this problem with stock Apollo tyres where there was a big gash and I had to get a new tyre. In this case the tyre is cracked on the wall.
Now I have the following questions
1) Any possibility of repairs or mending the crack ?
2) If no chance of repairs , then any chance I can claim or get a new tire with warranty. I am not sure if this will work since the warranty might not cover this damage and the fine print will ensure I do not get this.
3) Are Bridgestone's really this bad ? Never had this experience with my earlier Michelins. I had punctures but never this cracking of the tyre wall.
Hi ambivalent_98,
You mentioned about the crack in the wall. Do you mean the sidewall of the tyre? Sidewall is the portion on the side that does not touch the plain level road. The tyre designation etc. are marked on the sidewall.

There is a separate thread (not very big thread, you can read it quickly) about sidewall punctures. You will find good pictures and proper explanation there.

In a nutshell: sidewall punctures are serious; these shall not be fixed. The tyre shall be discarded. At the most, one can put a tube inside the tubeless tyre and use at as a spare. But not for long distance; just for a few kilometers till you get the puncture-walla.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed