Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2009, 09:16   #1
BANNED

Is it necessary to change the tube when changing tyres ?

I've heard tyre dealers forcing the customer to buy the tube also during tyre purchases.

So is it necessary to change the tube also when purchasing replacing old tyres even if there are no punctures and the tube seems to be quite OK by visual inspection ?

Recently, when I bought new tyres for my bike, I didn't replace the 35,000 KMS old tube. Is there any problem from the safety point of view ?
Old 14th February 2009, 09:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Mithun its always safer to get the tubes changed regularly, and yes it makes sense to change the tube when changing tyre. i make sure i change my bikes tube once a year. this practice has helped has made sure that last 6 yers i dint have even 1 pucture(touch wood) since i do some long rides i try to be little safe.

I think 35k is quiet a lot and you should change that tube.
Old 14th February 2009, 09:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

How much did you save? Wont the elastic for you inner weaken after long usage but still hold on Why wait for a disaster. Got the drift?
Old 14th February 2009, 09:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

Sir, it is a good practise to change the tube when you change the tyre. Older tubes are more susceptible to slow punctures.

Also, the cost of the tube in comparison to the tyre is not too high to justify delaying the purchase at the cost of safety!
Old 14th February 2009, 14:53   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I don't know about bikes, but no car deserves to be running on tube-type tyres anymore. Tubeless is the way to go.
Old 14th February 2009, 15:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Mithun its always safer to get the tubes changed regularly, and yes it makes sense to change the tube when changing tyre. i make sure i change my bikes tube once a year. this practice has helped has made sure that last 6 yers i dint have even 1 pucture(touch wood) since i do some long rides i try to be little safe.

I think 35k is quiet a lot and you should change that tube.
Once a year on a routine basis?? Now that really sounds like an overkill!! One big reason I woudn't do this is because I wouldn't want clumsy tyre wallas messing with my bike and creating scratches, alignment problems, etc., every year!

That said, It would really be prudent to change your tybe when you are changing the tyre. Your using the tube... esp after 35k usage does not sound like a good idea at all!
Old 14th February 2009, 15:46   #7
BHPian

Good quality branded butyl tubes will not 'age' or become hard over the life of your tires. But still it's a good practice to change tubes alongwith your tires. Apart from this,you're always better off having the same brand of tube as your tire. The reason being,suppose your tube has a manufacturing defect and the tire has been damaged as a result of the same (read run flat) if it's the same brand of tube that came alongwith your tire,the company will replace both tire and tube.But in case you use say for example a bridgestone tube in a goodyear tire,bridgestone will replace your tube for sure if it has a genuine manufacturing defect,but there is no way you can claim a replacement from goodyear for your tire.
WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2009, 16:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Once a year on a routine basis?? Now that really sounds like an overkill!! One big reason I woudn't do this is because I wouldn't want clumsy tyre wallas messing with my bike and creating scratches, alignment problems, etc., every year!

That said, It would really be prudent to change your tybe when you are changing the tyre. Your using the tube... esp after 35k usage does not sound like a good idea at all!
Raccoon, in my case i know a tyre wala who is really good and i do get it fixed only with him.

Am not sure if its a over kill or not until now have not ended up with a flat tyre in the middle of no where i guess thats good enough for me.
Old 14th February 2009, 18:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Well, if you are ment to get a puncture with a nail or something... you will have a puncture... your new tube will not help much either way!
Old 14th February 2009, 18:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Nothing is Perfect isnt it, am just trying to be cautious and its worked for me till now
Old 15th February 2009, 15:04   #11
BANNED

Thanks for everyone's advice.

I'll change the tubes soon although my local tyre guy is dead against the wastage of money !
Old 15th February 2009, 16:09   #12
BANNED

The last time I bought tyres (Jan 2007, for the Indica), the tyres came with a tube in them. Since my old tubes were in good shape, I have kept the old tubes in the boot, to be used as spare in an emergency.

Most Viewed