Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2009, 21:26   #1
BHPian

Problem with Yokohama A-Drive's

Hi Friends,

I had recently purchased Yoko A-Drives (185-60R14) for my Viva CRDi, Some days ago I noticed a cut in one of the tyres and this caused balooning. Thus I had to purchase a new tyre.
Today again I noticed a cut in another tyre.

I am unable to understand the cause of it as I generally drive quite safely and take special care over potholes. Also it is difficult to believe that in 1 month I have managed to ruin 2 tyres whereas my earlier tyres lasted more than 3 years.

Has anybody else also experienced a similar problem?

Also please let me know how safe is using patched on the tyres as this time the cut is small and the dealer is advising me to use a patch.

Thanks
Old 18th February 2009, 11:24   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

That's extremely premature damage if you haven't gone over a divider or something. What does the dealer say? Didn't you push for free replacements?
Old 18th February 2009, 11:34   #3
Team-BHP Support

Where did you buy the tyres from ?
Old 18th February 2009, 11:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thats very strange. I have been using Yokohama A-drives (165/65 R13) for the last 6 months on my Indica, and have found them much much better than the previous OEM Goodyears. Not a single puncture, and the tyres have performed very well in terms of noise, grip and comfort.

I suggest taking the other 2 tyres to an independent dealership (especially one where you know the owner personally) and getting them verified. It may be possible that the dealer sold you damaged stock.

Avoid using patches on tubeless tyres at all costs. As opposed to a normal tyre (where the tube is inside the tyre and does not come in direct contact with the road), in a tubeless tyre the inside wall of the tread itself acts as air retainer. Using patches will damage the entire structural integrity of the tyre and may make it unsafe at high speeds.
Old 18th February 2009, 11:58   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Damn, I just put A-Drive's on my Altis few weeks back. Keeping my fingers crossed now!
Old 18th February 2009, 11:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Damn, I just put A-Drive's on my Altis few weeks back. Keeping my fingers crossed now!
One-off case I guess dude. I too have Yoko A-Drives on my Swift for the past one month. No issues whatsoever. Excellent VFM tyres compared to the pricey Michelins.

goel.honey,
What kind of roads do you drive on ?
Old 18th February 2009, 15:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

G.H - Some pictures of the damage on the tyres would help.
Old 18th February 2009, 15:17   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

What a timely thread. I too have a Viva CRDi and contemplating changing the stock tyres and A-Drives are on top of my list.

Now i am going to make doubly sure before i buy them. By the way, how much did you pay for your tyres?
Old 18th February 2009, 20:16   #9
BHPian

Isn't it possible that the fitting is not being done properly?

If the tyre steel bands (see pic) are broken while fitting the tyre on the rims, can't this end in a bulge and cuts?

Problem with Yokohama A-Drive's-tyre.jpg
Old 18th February 2009, 20:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

No Ankit, that steel belt (referred to as the Bead) doesn not lead to bulges but will cause air loss (at a very fast rate, thereby rendering the tyre useless) if the damaged portion is big enough.
Old 18th February 2009, 20:27   #11
BHPian

That's clears a doubt in my head for sure.

Honey, you could atleast try to claim free replacement rendering the tyre as 'faulty'.

Like Ishan siad, post a few pictures for the guru to assess!
Old 18th February 2009, 22:05   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Where did you buy the tyres from ?
Bought them from Karwal Tyre House in Karol Bagh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That's extremely premature damage if you haven't gone over a divider or something. What does the dealer say? Didn't you push for free replacements?
I'm pretty sure that the car hasnt gone over any divider. I would have accepted it if it had happened once. But the second time I was way too careful. Had just got a new tyre a week back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
One-off case I guess dude. I too have Yoko A-Drives on my Swift for the past one month. No issues whatsoever. Excellent VFM tyres compared to the pricey Michelins.

goel.honey,
What kind of roads do you drive on ?
I basically drive in Delhi NCR or Delhi-Jaipur and Delhi-Chandigarh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
G.H - Some pictures of the damage on the tyres would help.
Will surely do so tomorrow or day after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
What a timely thread. I too have a Viva CRDi and contemplating changing the stock tyres and A-Drives are on top of my list.

Now i am going to make doubly sure before i buy them. By the way, how much did you pay for your tyres?
I bought these for 3250 a piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Thats very strange. I have been using Yokohama A-drives (165/65 R13) for the last 6 months on my Indica, and have found them much much better than the previous OEM Goodyears. Not a single puncture, and the tyres have performed very well in terms of noise, grip and comfort.

I suggest taking the other 2 tyres to an independent dealership (especially one where you know the owner personally) and getting them verified. It may be possible that the dealer sold you damaged stock.

Avoid using patches on tubeless tyres at all costs. As opposed to a normal tyre (where the tube is inside the tyre and does not come in direct contact with the road), in a tubeless tyre the inside wall of the tread itself acts as air retainer. Using patches will damage the entire structural integrity of the tyre and may make it unsafe at high speeds.
Thanks, will keep it in mind for sure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks