Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2012, 19:34   #481
BHPian

Re: Yokohama A-Drive Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Wait for the tyre to finish running about 1000 kms or so. The first 1000 kms or so is not the best to test the performance of a tyre. What you say might be true but wait for the tyre to settle and then decide!
Is this many kms required for all tyres or only for a drives ?
Old 27th January 2012, 16:47   #482
Distinguished - BHPian

All tyres. Some tyres dont show much improvement but some tyres show a huge improvement. In many cases it all has to do with the driver getting used to the feel of the new tyres.
Old 28th January 2012, 01:17   #483
Senior - BHPian

Calculation is wrong and compares 165/80R13 to 155/70R13 tyres as opposed to the one in question i.e. 185/70R13.

Note that 185/70R13 is a near perfect upsize with only a couple of mm difference in GC and not 20 mm as you suggest.
Old 7th February 2012, 16:32   #484
BHPian

U got Yoko A-Drives for Rs.4250 per tyre for my Ritz Lxi last weekend. Had the choice of MRF ZLO's and Yoko A-Drives. Given the difference of Rs.300 per tyre and the Asymmetric pattern of the MRF's, went in for the Yoko's.

Tyres are silent and Grip well (better than the stock JK's). I find the gaps between the threads to be a tad big and bigger stones getting caught in between them.
Old 24th February 2012, 12:00   #485
k36
BHPian

Couple of weeks ago I upgraded my Swift VXi's JKs (165/80) to Yoko (185/70) on the stock steel rims.
For a couple of days it felt very soft and sort of funny to drive on those. Getting used to and enjoying now.
After 43K kms on the JKs I had forgotten the feel of a non-spinning fast start which I am now taking advantage of now at signals.

Last edited by k36 : 24th February 2012 at 12:02.
Old 24th February 2012, 12:41   #486
BHPian

My Ritz currently has JK 165/85 and has run 20k. Planning to go for Yoko A drive soon on the steel rims itself. Any advice on how long before i should change tyres? Also price of yoko in Bangalore?
Old 24th February 2012, 19:44   #487
BHPian

^^
those JKs will last a good 45000km.
(I have experienced the JKs on my previous swift and my current Ritz).

But the question is, are you happy with the ride quality?
If not, then 'A-drives' are for you now!
Old 6th March 2012, 09:50   #488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
I find the gaps between the threads to be a tad big and bigger stones getting caught in between them.
This is a very valid observation. The only gripe that I have on my Yoko A Drives on my Swift are that a large number of stones get caught in the gaps in the treads. I spend about five minutes every other day to check the tires for extricating stones lodged in the tread.

Otherwise, the tires are fantastic. Very low noise, great grip and handling, and comfortable to boot. Switch to 195s have however (and as expected) made the ride quality comparatively much harsher than the OEM 165 MRFs. This is of course a trade off for the better grip and handling.

Yet to test the car at high speeds, but at 60-80 kph, the ride quality is pretty much what I had wanted. Overall, quite satisfied.
Old 6th March 2012, 14:14   #489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
This is a very valid observation. The only gripe that I have on my Yoko A Drives on my Swift are that a large number of stones get caught in the gaps in the treads...
What is the pressure you are maintaining? I am maintaining 33psi on all 4 tyres and the drive seems to be bumpy. I think i should lower the pressure. Lower or higher pressure will lead to uneven tire wear, which is also a concern.
Old 6th March 2012, 14:45   #490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
What is the pressure you are maintaining? I am maintaining 33psi on all 4 tyres and the drive seems to be bumpy. I think i should lower the pressure. Lower or higher pressure will lead to uneven tire wear, which is also a concern.
The manufacturer recommended pressure for the stock tires was 29 psi. On the Yokos I maintain 30 psi all round. Ride is pliant enough, though the wider track and lower profile does result in a comparatively rougher ride over potholes/bad roads.

33 psi is way too high in my opinion. Keep it at 30-31 psi max, there is bound to be a loss of the bumpiness you refer to.
Old 7th March 2012, 21:17   #491

After much consideration and going through a lot of information went in for the A Drives for my Fiesta diesel. Got 4 of them them at 4250 a piece.

The change was immediately noticeable over the previous S322s. A Drives are silent and a lot more more comfortable on rough roads. Also got complimentary nitrogen filling. Although I do not think that makes much of a difference over normal air.
Old 10th March 2012, 16:54   #492
BHPian

Today i became poorer by Rs. 20k because my Punto needed a set of shoes for quite sometime now. After going through many forums here and listening to opinions of countless number of people, I had finally narrowed down to the Yokohama A drives. Now my stock tyres are 195/60 R15 Goodyear GT3. Although i wont complain about the grip and durability , these were very very noisy. And having driven around 42k kms in these stock tyres, i knew they had outlived their lives.

I wanted to upgrade to 205/60 R15 (average dealer quote is Rs.5.5 a piece), but this size is not readily available in Goa. I waited for almost two months without any luck.

Today morning i noticed that the front left tyre was slowly loosing air. "Thats it, i need new tyres today". Filled some air in the punctured tyre, and then straight to the dealer. The owner of Impact car accessories, Panaji, Goa, initially did not believe me when i told him the stock tyre size. "Punto comes in 15" wheels??, arre baba, go and check re." One of his guys went around my car and was back. "Original Fiat magwheels-15"" he said.

He brought out his laptop and looked at me, "you want to upgrade to 205 right?". Then he called up a couple of places and got back to me "Well, 205/60R15 A-drives are not available anywhere, dont know when the stock will come. I can arrange the same size v550 which will cost u 6.5 a piece by monday. Right now i have 195/60R15 which will cost you Rs.4950 a piece. This includes free balancing, alignment and nitrogen filling. Weights are chargeable. Also due to a special offer from Yokohama, you will get a free Victorinox swiss army knife free

Here it isYokohama A-Drive Reviews-image0251.jpg

With my tyres fast loosing air, i needed to decide. 20k for the set, no upgrades, hmmm. OK i said.

After about a hour and a half, everything was done. On my way back home i noticed that the ride was significantly better. One more thing i noticed that the pattern or design on the side wall (lines making up squares) makes the tyre look a bit different. Dont know if its good or bad, but its different. Let me do some driving, then will post a review.
Old 16th March 2012, 17:07   #493
Senior - BHPian

Today, replaced two tires on my lancer with A-Drives. Did it from New Bharath Pit Stop in Kochi for Rs. 3800 each+alignment & balancing.

Driving back to Bangalore on Sunday and depending on the feedback, will consider the same for rear wheels (may be in another 3months)

Is there any other suggestions for rear wheel?
Old 10th April 2012, 19:41   #494
BHPian

Bought Yoko A-Drives 175/65-R14 for 4k a piece.

Too early to say but so far I am impressed by the way it handles bumps, the handling and the quietness of these tyres.

Of course, my previous tyres were JK Vectras which are not much of a comparison.
Old 11th April 2012, 13:22   #495
BHPian

Hi friends,
MY vista qjd is on stock BS 322 tyres ( 52000+ kms).Still bit of tread is remaining but are now puncture prone.So have to change these.I am planning to sale the car in the near future so I am considering VFM tyres.I have zeroed on JK Vectra 175/65/14 ( Rs 3600 per tyre).But dealer said you can also consider 175/70/14 of the same make ( Rs 3000 per tyre).Cool Rs 2400 diff for the 4 tyres.How will you explain the difference in the price?
I have calculated that there will be speedometer error of +3% than the stock tyres.Is it in acceptable limits ?
comment on the JK Vectra tyres. Perheps coming with VW polo as stock tyres.

@ Superut, I put up my query in other thread also( Indica vista -what is the right size).No answer yet.After reading last post of yours you seems to be the right person for the query to answer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks