Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2009, 14:41   #136
Senior - BHPian

I have been using Yokohoma A-Drive on my Toyota Corona with Plati Alloys and there is a considerable difference in the ride qulaity,stability at high speeds,Balance at turns etc.
Old 7th December 2009, 13:09   #137
BHPian

Replacing tyres on Indica Xeta

Hello - I own Indica Xeta that has run nearly 30K. The stock tyres are Goodyear 165/65 R13.
Recently (last 2-3 months), there have been several instances of flat tyres (ranging from a multiple punctures to normal single hole to a tube). Also, 2-3 times, my puncture-walla showed me that metal wires from inside wall of the tyres have cause the puncture. He duly applied a beaded patch to fix that problem.
But, I am concerned about the state of my tyres and seriously thinking of replacing them.
My questions are:
1. What set of tyres are best to replace. I am going to tubeless tyres. I heard that Yokohama A-drive are overall good choice considering comfort and cost.
2. Are there any considerations while moving from tyre-tube to tubeless ones? Especially tyre rims ?
3. Which are the best tyre shops / dealers in Kothrud / Deccan area?
4. What is the cost of each tyre ?
5. Any other thing that I should be aware of ?

Thanks. A quick response is highly appreciated. I need the car (with tyre upgraded) on 10th Dec.
Old 7th December 2009, 18:29   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
My questions are:
1. What set of tyres are best to replace. I am going to tubeless tyres. I heard that Yokohama A-drive are overall good choice considering comfort and cost.
2. Are there any considerations while moving from tyre-tube to tubeless ones? Especially tyre rims ?

Thanks. A quick response is highly appreciated. I need the car (with tyre upgraded) on 10th Dec.
Replies as below:

1. Tyre brands - Choose between Michelin, Yokohama or Continental
2. Ensure that steel rims are without any bend and don't have any rust.
3. kothrud - Darshan Tyres opposite Karishma (would suggest Michelin); Deccan - Lokmanya Tyres in lane next to Garware College that leads to 'S M joshi' bridge (would suggest Yoko/Continental)
4. Yokos would be around Rs. 2500 while Michelin would be Rs. 200 more.
5. Read this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/26252-read-first-choosing-right-set-tyres-your-car.html (READ FIRST: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car)

Don't start long trip just after tyre change. Drive the car on regular route for couple of days.

Last edited by sukiwa : 7th December 2009 at 18:31. Reason: additions
Old 7th December 2009, 20:17   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
Hello - I own Indica Xeta that has run nearly 30K. The stock tyres are Goodyear 165/65 R13.
Recently (last 2-3 months), there have been several instances of flat tyres (ranging from a multiple punctures to normal single hole to a tube). Also, 2-3 times, my puncture-walla showed me that metal wires from inside wall of the tyres have cause the puncture. He duly applied a beaded patch to fix that problem.
But, I am concerned about the state of my tyres and seriously thinking of replacing them.
My questions are:

1. While Michelin and Yoko are better, if you are on a budget, GoodYears are also an option. The price difference is considerable.
3. I would suggest Lokmanya, as mentioned by sukiwa.
5. Clean the inner part of the rim well, to ensure a good seal. Make sure good valves are used.
Old 8th December 2009, 14:16   #140
BHPian

a rocket speed review on the grip levels of A drive

My car tyre profiles - 185/60/R14 28 psi nitrogen

Stock tyres - GY NCT5
Track - Acute 'S' Curve
Drive speed on the Curves - 70-80 kmph
Observation : Screech, grip levels so dismal that the car skids, lack of confidence, passengers waiting to pounce on me who think its my driving skill that is screwed !

Upgrade - Yoko A Drives
Track - The same acute 'S' curve
Drive speed on the Curves - 70-80 kmph
Observation : The only sound I could hear was the engine rev, no screeches at all, Skid ? No way..I felt there was potential to increase speed looking at the excellent grip levels. Nobody in the car was even aware of the speed I was driving the car on the actute curves.

Bottomline : Confidence boosted !!!

Braking post A -drive installation : Improved, though I did manage to lock the wheels at one instance. But works wonders if the brakes are applied like the way ABS does..pump !
Old 9th December 2009, 21:55   #141
BHPian

What's price for 185/70/14 ? I am planning switch tyre for my swift VDi. I heard one of the tyre point MIchelin XM1 maximum 30k to 35k, But Yokohama come around 50K, Its true? and they said that both are same category. Please let me know
Old 9th December 2009, 22:19   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Yoko A drive will cost you around 3.4k per tyre. Michelin XM1+(note the PLUS sign.) will last 40k easily. Yoko A drives are also equal.
Old 9th December 2009, 22:24   #143
BHPian

Thanks for your updates. Performance wise both are equal?
Old 10th December 2009, 08:46   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Yeah.... almost. The XM1+ is a little more silent and comfortable though.
Old 13th December 2009, 00:53   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun.sidhes View Post
What's price for 185/70/14 ? I am planning switch tyre for my swift VDi. I heard one of the tyre point MIchelin XM1 maximum 30k to 35k, But Yokohama come around 50K, Its true? and they said that both are same category. Please let me know
I have Michelin Energy XM1 (not XM1+ that last a bit longer) and they have lasted 38k Kms already. This is with a mix of highways and a bit of broken tarmac with - generally high speed driving. I changed to these tires from Gyear Eagle NCT 5 and they were a big leap forward in terms of comfort and silence. Never wobbled on their own and required extremely low weights to balance in regular balancing visits.

While I also have have the Yoko C.Drives on the Innova (like them very much too), the Michelins definitely came with a better finish on the tire.

It looks that they will last another 10-15K for sure. The size I have is 185/65R14 on a Baleno.

All depends on how you drive..Aggressive driving and one would be happy to have the tires last 20k. Relaxed safe cruising and you can actually double the tire life.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 13th December 2009 at 00:58.
Old 13th December 2009, 01:12   #146
BHPian

What is the price of Yokohoma A drive 185/70/14 in Bangalore?
Old 14th December 2009, 14:37   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
1. While Michelin and Yoko are better, if you are on a budget, GoodYears are also an option. The price difference is considerable.
3. I would suggest Lokmanya, as mentioned by sukiwa.
5. Clean the inner part of the rim well, to ensure a good seal. Make sure good valves are used.
Thanks @Raccoon, @Sukiwa:
Took the plunge and went to Lokmanya as suggested. Was in two minds over the Michelin XM1 and Yoko A-drive. But, finally decided in favor of Yoko A-drive. All 4 tyres replaced @2450 each. Wheel Balanced, and tyre fitting, etc. Costed approx 10K. Got @150 for each old tyre.

My first impression - a gliding feeling ! It's a marked improvement in-terms of comfort, noise, and overall handling. Did a 500km trip over the weekend on NH4 and it's fantastic feeling.

Cheers!
Old 14th December 2009, 15:54   #148
Senior - BHPian

You got 150 bucks each for your old tyres?!!? I didn't get a single buck! Where your tyres in good "usable" condition or something?

Anyway, congrats on getting good shoes for your ride.

Last edited by Raccoon : 14th December 2009 at 15:56.
Old 14th December 2009, 17:57   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon009 View Post
What is the price of Yokohoma A drive 185/70/14 in Bangalore?
Prices are same all over the country. So, in Bangalore, it is around 3.1k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008
Yoko A drive will cost you around 3.4k per tyre. Michelin XM1+(note the PLUS sign.) will last 40k easily. Yoko A drives are also equal.
Small correction. Price is around 3.1k. Not 3.4k
Old 14th December 2009, 19:14   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Prices are same all over the country. So, in Bangalore, it is around 3.1k.

Small correction. Price is around 3.1k. Not 3.4k
Thanks great help. Planning to do an upgrade from stocks soon. Any shops that you recommend in Bangalore for the purpose

Most Viewed