Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2010, 18:46   #346
BHPian

my a drive experience after 25000kms of use

i have 205/60/r15 a drives on my w124 e250d. i have put on 25k on them in the last 8 months. mixed city and highway use (i do a weekly high speed run to pune) they hardly have any wear on them. will go for another 35k easily. nice tyres. fairly grippy. but not as good as the michelin vivacy set i had on earlier. the michelins lasted 40k (soft compound) but were grippy as hell. awesome tyres.

are they good tyres: yes
hard compound, a good balance of grip and life. but noisier than the michelins

will i buy them again: no
i will go back to michelins. they i good tyres and very pocket friendly. but i like to attack the curves (the run from the 1st foodmall to the lonavala exit is my favorite) and the michelins do very very well here
Old 28th September 2010, 19:23   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Does A Drives or C Drives come in the Polo's weird size of 185/60 R15?
I think not. Couple of people including Sahil were complaining about this on the Vento thread. Apparently nobody except JK and Apollo makes this size and changing to any other size would void the warranty
Old 29th September 2010, 03:41   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Thanks Muru, yes comfort is a big requirement but cost not so.

So, C.Drive is for better handling, which again is not high on agenda.

Any idea on how much would A.Drive 195/60/15 cost.
Please see this tire positioning map and also review the ratings given on individual parameters. will help you decide http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2022454
Old 29th September 2010, 14:48   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I think not. Couple of people including Sahil were complaining about this on the Vento thread. Apparently nobody except JK and Apollo makes this size and changing to any other size would void the warranty
Really weird size. The Polo everywhere around the world comes in other, more common tyre sizes.
I read online somewhere yesterday that XM1+ will be released in 185/60 R15 size. Not sure how true that is!
What is the option for Polo/Vento users otherwise? 195/60 R15? 195/65 OR 195/55?
Old 29th September 2010, 20:39   #350
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
Please see this tire positioning map and also review the ratings given on individual parameters. will help you decide.
Thanks, I already went in for Bridgestone Turanza ER60. Not very happy though, full story on ER60 thread.
Old 20th October 2010, 18:49   #351
BHPian

I recently bought new set A drives (185/70- 13 R) for my Ford Ikon Flair. Earlier it was running on MRF ZVTS.

I got set of 4 for 14000/- + wheel balancing & alignment + nitrogen filling. Is that a good deal. Fellow Pune BHPians might help here.

First observations :
1. Reduce noise
2. Better handling and comfort (Does nitrogen play part here)

I have not driven it on high ways yet.But difference in handling and cornering is noticeable.

Hope its lasts to my expectations.
Old 21st October 2010, 12:28   #352
BHPian

My A-drives (185/70 R14) are 11k kms old now. Great VFM tyres. Looks like it will last another 30K kms easily. Running on nitrogen and checks every 2 months. Pressure reduction is not more than 1psi.
Old 1st November 2010, 11:22   #353
BHPian

tyre for baleno

Stock tyre for baleno is 165/80/13. Currently i have bridgestone potenza III in size 185/70/13 of which two are quite gone with uneven wear and front two have some tread left. My question is

1. I am facing ground clearance issues and the car scrapes bottom at speed breakers or sometimes when I speed over potholes. As 185/70 is having 5 mm lesser diameter i would prefer 165/80/13 size. My driving style is not very aggressive normally except when I am alone and road is clear and without traffic. Is Yokohama A drive available in this size and what is its cost?

2. Is yokohama A-drive available in 175/75/13? I did not find these sizes commonly available at dealers. My last option would be to switch to 185/65/14 and in that case can Swift's rim be safely replaced in to baleno? How about 185/70/14 is it OK to use this size on swift rim in baleno or would it be risky to use it, the reason I want this size is to increase ground clearance as its diameter is 614mm vs 594 mm for 165/80/13.
Old 1st November 2010, 18:55   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
Stock tyre for baleno is 165/80/13. Currently i have bridgestone potenza III in size 185/70/13 of which two are quite gone with uneven wear and front two have some tread left. My question is

1. I am facing ground clearance issues and the car scrapes bottom at speed breakers or sometimes when I speed over potholes. As 185/70 is having 5 mm lesser diameter i would prefer 165/80/13 size. My driving style is not very aggressive normally except when I am alone and road is clear and without traffic. Is Yokohama A drive available in this size and what is its cost?

2. Is yokohama A-drive available in 175/75/13? I did not find these sizes commonly available at dealers. My last option would be to switch to 185/65/14 and in that case can Swift's rim be safely replaced in to baleno? How about 185/70/14 is it OK to use this size on swift rim in baleno or would it be risky to use it, the reason I want this size is to increase ground clearance as its diameter is 614mm vs 594 mm for 165/80/13.
I own a Baleno too. (Tire Size 185/65R14)
A. 5mm less diameter means 2.5 mm less ground clearance. Will that be enough for you to sacrifice the additional grip that 185/70 offers
B. I guess that Swift steel rims (14") should fit your car well. Maybe you switch to that size and get 185/65R14 tires. I am skeptical that 185/70R14 tires will foul with the rear wheel well at full load / touch the front wheel well inside wall at full lock.

Easiest to find is to go to the nearby Maruti shop, request the guy to give your Baleno a test ride with Swift tires and then decide.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 1st November 2010 at 18:56.
Old 1st November 2010, 20:18   #355
Senior - BHPian

I am running on A-drives, 185/70 R14 on my Dzire. Yesterday I noticed that the front right tire had lost much more air than the others, it was almost half flat (The vehicle was parked for 10 days without use. There was around 2 psi drop in the other tires, which is normal). Went to a puncture shop and checked for a puncture. There was no puncture detected. The chap at the shop asked me to fill air and check it again, if there is abnormal drop, he would remove the tire and check.

What could have gone wrong? I am suspecting a faulty valve or a bent rim as I have driven over a few big pot holes. Is there any chance that there might be a sidewall issue? I have clocked 7k on the tires.

Urgent help needed .
Old 1st November 2010, 23:12   #356
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
I am running on A-drives, 185/70 R14 on my Dzire. Yesterday I noticed that the front right tire had lost much more air than the others, it was almost half flat (The vehicle was parked for 10 days without use. There was around 2 psi drop in the other tires, which is normal). Went to a puncture shop and checked for a puncture. There was no puncture detected. The chap at the shop asked me to fill air and check it again, if there is abnormal drop, he would remove the tire and check.

What could have gone wrong? I am suspecting a faulty valve or a bent rim as I have driven over a few big pot holes. Is there any chance that there might be a sidewall issue? I have clocked 7k on the tires.

Urgent help needed .
Dont worry

Many times the puncture is very small and will be detected the second time round when the technician looks harder.

Apart from this, it could be a faulty valve. The valve pin could also be problematic. If it's the valve pin, dont worry. It's a 30 sec job. And usually it's free. If it's the leaking valve/tubeless neck, it's still simple. Take out the tyre, remove the tyre from the rim, cut the neck from inside, put in a new neck and fit the tyre again. You're good to go.

If it's a bent rim, not much you can do except beat the rim into shape if it's a steel wheel. If it's an alloy wheel, then it's a problem.
Old 1st November 2010, 23:27   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Dont worry

Many times the puncture is very small and will be detected the second time round when the technician looks harder.

Apart from this, it could be a faulty valve. The valve pin could also be problematic. If it's the valve pin, dont worry. It's a 30 sec job. And usually it's free. If it's the leaking valve/tubeless neck, it's still simple. Take out the tyre, remove the tyre from the rim, cut the neck from inside, put in a new neck and fit the tyre again. You're good to go.

If it's a bent rim, not much you can do except beat the rim into shape if it's a steel wheel. If it's an alloy wheel, then it's a problem.
Thank you for the quick reply Nikhil. I was about to shoot of a PM to you,but saw this reply here.

I too am suspecting a faulty valve,though the problem could lie in the neck too. I am cock sure my tires haven't seen any bad roads lately (the last time I drove on bad roads were in July at KA-MH borders). Its run only in city traffic. I suspected a bent rim as I have driven on a few large pot holes @ 40-50 kmph (I know I am being paranoid here.)

I am praying its an issue with the valve/neck and not a sidewall issue.God forbid, if its an side wall issue, what chances do I have of getting it replaced?

And its not an alloy, steel rim, so can beat it to shape
Old 1st November 2010, 23:35   #358
Senior - BHPian

^^
Chill dude!
Its not a sidewall issue IMO.
Check the air pressure after couple of days from the same place.
Old 2nd November 2010, 10:35   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
I own a Baleno too. (Tire Size 185/65R14)
A. 5mm less diameter means 2.5 mm less ground clearance. Will that be enough for you to sacrifice the additional grip that 185/70 offers
B. I guess that Swift steel rims (14") should fit your car well. Maybe you switch to that size and get 185/65R14 tires. I am skeptical that 185/70R14 tires will foul with the rear wheel well at full load / touch the front wheel well inside wall at full lock.

Easiest to find is to go to the nearby Maruti shop, request the guy to give your Baleno a test ride with Swift tires and then decide.
Does your car scrape bottom with 185 65 R 14? How is the ride comfort? Another question is of stepney, can 13 inch rim be used in emergency as I don't see much difference in diameter? i have 165/80/13 on spare tyre or if all 5 wheels must be replaced.
Old 5th November 2010, 03:53   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
Does your car scrape bottom with 185 65 R 14? How is the ride comfort? Another question is of stepney, can 13 inch rim be used in emergency as I don't see much difference in diameter? i have 165/80/13 on spare tyre or if all 5 wheels must be replaced.

The car clearance is less and one has to be careful not taking large bumps head on. That said, I have done nearly 70 k on all kinds of roads and never found this to be a limiting issue. . Maybe you want to check out suspension spacers if you want to increase ground clearance. (Handling will change too so do a bit of research before you go down that path)

Ride comfort is really decent. I think a 13 inch rim can be used in emergency definitely but only for low speed driving.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks