Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2012, 11:16   #496
BHPian

Re: Yokohama A-Drive Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvikasagrawal View Post
Hi friends,
MY vista qjd is on stock BS 322 tyres ( 52000+ kms).Still bit of tread is remaining but are now puncture prone.So have to change these.I am planning to sale the car in the near future so I am considering VFM tyres.I have zeroed on JK Vectra 175/65/14 ( Rs 3600 per tyre).But dealer said you can also consider 175/70/14 of the same make ( Rs 3000 per tyre).Cool Rs 2400 diff for the 4 tyres.How will you explain the difference in the price?
I have calculated that there will be speedometer error of +3% than the stock tyres.Is it in acceptable limits ?
comment on the JK Vectra tyres. Perheps coming with VW polo as stock tyres.

@ Superut, I put up my query in other thread also( Indica vista -what is the right size).No answer yet.After reading last post of yours you seems to be the right person for the query to answer.
Well I am no expert and have limited knowledge. However, I also noticed the difference in tyre prices when I was looking for the correct upsize on my Beat. But since 175/65/14 was the correct upsize for the Beat I stuck to it. 175/70/14 would effect ride quality etc probably, which is why it won't be recommended. 3% seems high, after my upsize my error is 1.8% but I think anything less than 3% is fine.

JK Vectras aren't really the best of tyres. Would advice you to go for Yoko A-Drives as they are proven to be much better. They would cost you around 4k per tyre. But since you are selling your car soon, you could save the cash.

Last edited by superutp : 16th April 2012 at 11:18.
Old 16th April 2012, 15:23   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvikasagrawal
Hi friends,
MY vista qjd is on stock BS 322 tyres ( 52000+ kms).Still bit of tread is remaining but are now puncture prone.So have to change these.I am planning to sale the car in the near future so I am considering VFM tyres.I have zeroed on JK Vectra 175/65/14 ( Rs 3600 per tyre)...
Vikas, if you are planning to sell the car soon, you can look for used tires. There are many used tyres in the market which have been used for less kms. If plans change otherwise, the A drives can definately be considered.
Old 16th April 2012, 16:59   #498
BHPian

Yesterday I bought Yoko A-Drives for my Dzire VDI in Reliance Autozone. Upgraded from stock JK vectras to 185-70R14. costed Rs 4350 each.

Got free Nitrogen filling Rotation and Balancing, A swiss Army knife also as compliment. They took back my old tyres for Rs 200 each.

As my bill was > 10k, they gave an offer to pick a reverse parking sensor at 50% off or front wind shield sun film at some offer price. I opted for reverse parking sensor and got it fit on my friends Lancer.

I haven't driven much after the tyre change, so will update the ride quality after my Chennai trip this weekend.

Last edited by BulZire : 16th April 2012 at 17:08.
Old 16th April 2012, 17:14   #499
BHPian

Upgraded the tires on my Ritz VDI to 185/70/R14 on stock rims the next day I took delivery. After exchanging my stock tires (Apollo Amazers) I paid Rs. 10500 for 5.
The job was done at Bridgestone Select store just opposite to Indian Oil petrol pump in BTM watertank and got balancing alignment as freebies, no Swiss knife as I did it around 2 months back.
Have already covered 5000 kms since then and I am pretty pleased with my decision. 90% of my running is in highway I the tires give me a lot of confidence, in some sudden braking situation I have never experienced any tire skid. They are also pretty silent at 120kmph. I would definitely recommend it to people who will be doing frequent highway runs.
Old 5th May 2012, 16:46   #500
Senior - BHPian

Upgraded my 5 year old stock JK tornado(Swift VXI) to Yoko A drives today(185/70 R14). After 45K and few punctures and noisy ride, decided to switch to A drives even though the tires looked OK for say another 5K or so

More details are here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2767839

The swiss knife offer, it seems has ended.. but I still pushed him to see if he can arrange one for me... hope i can get something extra
Old 21st August 2012, 13:40   #501
BHPian

I upgraded my stock Baleno VXi's Bridgestone 165/80 R13 to Yokohama A Drives 185/70 R13s. Set of four cost me 17,000/- at 4,250/- per tyre from Metro Tyres, Pune. I wonder if that is a fair price. The dealer offered me three choices of type of tubeless tyre valves free, 150/- per valve and 250/- per valve. I went for the 250/- valve which cost an additional 1000/- for a set of four.
Is this some kind of a dealer trick or does valve quality vary so much ?
Also, is there a way to find out if the tyres I got are actually brand new and not traded in?
Old 21st August 2012, 14:36   #502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_boom View Post
I upgraded my stock Baleno VXi's Bridgestone 165/80 R13 to Yokohama A Drives 185/70 R13s. Set of four cost me 17,000/- at 4,250/- per tyre from Metro Tyres, Pune. I wonder if that is a fair price. The dealer offered me three choices of type of tubeless tyre valves free, 150/- per valve and 250/- per valve. I went for the 250/- valve which cost an additional 1000/- for a set of four.
Is this some kind of a dealer trick or does valve quality vary so much ?
Also, is there a way to find out if the tyres I got are actually brand new and not traded in?
Why did he change the valves ?

AFAIK, baleno came with Bridgestone tubeless S248 tires.

You can check the manufacturing week on your tire.
Old 21st August 2012, 14:46   #503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Set of four cost me 17,000/- at 4,250/- per tyre from Metro Tyres, Pune. I wonder if that is a fair price.
Price looks okay.

Quote:
I went for the 250/- valve which cost an additional 1000/- for a set of four. Is this some kind of a dealer trick or does valve quality vary so much?
I have never paid for valves & I don't care much as long as they are mounted correctly.

Quote:
Check DOT code on tyres. If it reads nn12, then it is manufactured in 2012; first two digits (nn) would indicate week of the year.
Old 22nd August 2012, 19:03   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Why did he change the valves ?

AFAIK, baleno came with Bridgestone tubeless S248 tires.

You can check the manufacturing week on your tire.
That was the post-November 2005 model KP. It also had climate control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Price looks okay.

I have never paid for valves & I don't care much as long as they are mounted correctly.

Check DOT code on tyres. If it reads nn12, then it is manufactured in 2012; first two digits (nn) would indicate week of the year.
Thanks Sukiwa. I paid for the valves cos a few of my friends ran into tyre valve issues recently. Anyway, two of the tyres had stickers on them but two didnt. Will check the date code today to confirm.
Old 22nd August 2012, 20:55   #505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That was the post-November 2005 model KP. It also had climate control.
Oh yes! It used to come with GPS2 and S322s.

Mine is a 2006 model.

Quote:
Thanks Sukiwa. I paid for the valves cos a few of my friends ran into tyre valve issues recently. Anyway, two of the tyres had stickers on them but two didnt. Will check the date code today to confirm.
Usually, the dealers don't charge extra for valves when you are getting a set of 4 tubeless tires.

Stickers or no stickers is not a big issue, check the date code.
Old 24th August 2012, 00:42   #506
BHPian

I am using Yokohama A Drive 155/70/R13 on my santro from past 4mts, did 5000 kms.

First thing I noticed is comfort , it's far superior to stock Bridgestone tyres.

These are soft compound tyres so don't expect a very long life. They may be good for 30K to 35K. Breaking is good , ride quality is very good. Suddenly there is lot of noticeable difference in ride and comfort. Cannot comment on fuel efficiency as I had never checked for it.

I think they are best buy in today's market of tyres.
Old 28th August 2012, 13:56   #507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbones View Post
These are soft compound tyres so don't expect a very long life. They may be good for 30K to 35K.
A-Drives on my Santro have covered 35K Kms in last 3.5 years & still have around 5mm of tread depth left; hope they would last another 10K Kms at least. Other members have also reported similar or more usage in long term.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 19:50   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
A-Drives on my Santro have covered 35K Kms in last 3.5 years & still have around 5mm of tread depth left; hope they would last another 10K Kms at least. Other members have also reported similar or more usage in long term.
sukiwa, 35K is acceptable life for the tyres in 3.5 yrs.
Check for the hardness of your tyres, if they are hard then its time to change because tyre life(good performance)is around 3-4 yrs . After 3-4yrs even if the tyre has clocked only 1000K its performance decreases, so its always advisible to change tyres every 4 yrs if running is low, even with enough thread seen, its time to change tyres.
Old 29th August 2012, 01:37   #509
Senior - BHPian

^^^Yokos are soft compound. I don't think they will harden appreciably that early. Not actually observed it either.
Raccoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 10:55   #510
Senior - BHPian

How long does the Yoko A-drive last? I have 23k clicks and the tires have almost worn out. I think they are good to go for another 10k clicks. Maybe I can push it up to 13k clicks at the most. What is the expected life of these A-drives?
sachinj12 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed