Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2013, 08:06   #571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

Yes, A Drives would be a perfect replacement for you. Pretty silent, Strong sidewalls and lasts around 50K kms. Change the tyres as soon as possible. Ladakh trip would have weakened the tyres
From my experience with the A drives I had in my Getz , the tires were silent in the beginning . But after 10000kms , the noise increased compared to the other tires .
Old 5th October 2013, 16:23   #572
BANNED

Re: Yokohama A-Drive Reviews

guys,

i've had the 195/65/14 A drives in my swift now for 40000 kms. since last 6 months the front right tyre keeps getting punctured at the same spot. should i replace that tyre with a new A drive or should i change all 4 tyres ?

i'm thinking of shifting to michelin xm2. i want to go for 185/70/14 as i feel it will make the steering a bit lighter ?

i'm looking a for a silent and comfortable ride. which do you all suggest ?
Old 7th October 2013, 10:46   #573
BHPian

Same spot ? Have you tried changing your repairman ? If you're getting it done by the 'string' method, try and have it fixed with a mushroom patch.
Old 7th October 2013, 16:58   #574
BANNED

yes i went to a new repairman today. He told that spot has become too big with repeated punctures. He then removed the tyre from the rim and put in a 4 x 4 patch inside. He told me now it won't puncture anymore and that my 4 tyres have about 5000 kms life left in them.

thanks.
Old 11th October 2013, 17:15   #575
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

This has been my experience with the 184/65R14 A-drives as well. Absolute bliss for the first 25K kms.
Then the noise increased a bit. But much better than my earlier Eagle NCT 5.

After 37K, in the last three months and 3K kms, i have had 4 punctures. Though it will easily last another 5K kms, i am thinking of changing them. In a dilemma whether to go for A-drives again or switch to Accelere.
Old 11th October 2013, 19:00   #576
BHPian

Got new tyres today for my i20 - changed from Accelere to Yoko A-drives. Never knew tyres drive this good !!!
Only thing I'm worried about is durability on bad roads, but I think several people on this forum have done Leh on A-drives.

/fingers crossed
Old 21st April 2014, 20:01   #577
BHPian

I have purchased a pre-owned (~78K mileage) ford ikon 1.6 in March 2012. It came with almost new Yokohama A-drive tyres (175/65/R14)...

Now the odo is ~85K, i.e I have done ~8K in past 2 years...

Almost from the day one after the purchase, noise inside the car was like riding on a road roller ... Initally i didn't suspected tyres, since they were new...

Today when i was doing a TD with a mechanic, he told that this unbearable noise is definitely coming from tyres only, yokohama tyres are famous for there noise and suggested to change the tyres...

Now i am confused, whether the excessive tyre noise is because of,

1. Retread tyre sold to me as new
2. Yokohama tyres are noisy
3. Tyre rubber became harder because of less usage (Most of the days car is parked on tar road in front of my house)

Gurus can throw some light on this issue
Old 22nd April 2014, 07:17   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbalagru6 View Post
Today when i was doing a TD with a mechanic, he told that this unbearable noise is definitely coming from tyres only, yokohama tyres are famous for there noise and suggested to change the tyres...
. Fire the mechanic. Yoko A-Drives are one of the most silent tyres in the market. They don't make a noise at 140+ speeds on the highway, forget city speeds.

It could be possible that you've been sold retreaded/defective/counterfeit tyres. Alternatively, check the condition of the wheel bearings.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 09:42   #579
Distinguished - BHPian

Please check your tyre pressure. Chances are you are running your tyres over inflated. My Swift's 185/70 R14 A drives were reccomended to be driven at 29 psi. To be 'safe' I used to keep them at 33 psi but that makes it bumpy and noisy. Recently a mechanic I trust advised me to keep the tyre pressure at 28, even 27 in peak summer, and the noise is as good as gone.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 11:17   #580
BHPian

Quote:
1. Retread tyre sold to me as new

2. Yokohama tyres are noisy

3. Tyre rubber became harder because of less usage (Most of the days car is parked on tar road in front of my house)

I too strongly disagree with your point number 2. The A drives are really silent and comfortable tyres. Had done close to 30k kms on them in my previous car Getz. Regarding points 1 and 3 kindly check the date of manufacture of the tyre in the side wall. It comes as a four digit number wherein the first two digits indicate the week and the last two digits indicate the year of manufacture. Tyres which are old tend to become noisy.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 24th April 2014 at 05:52. Reason: Added quoted part in tags.
Old 22nd April 2014, 12:56   #581
BHPian

Thanks for the revert guys... Today i checked with the mechanic as well as one puncture shop guy and as per them these tyres looks original only..

Is there any way i can find that these tyres are retreaded/defective/counterfeit?!?!

Also i will set the tyre pressure to 28 psi and check the noise levels...
sbalagru6 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 16:33   #582
BHPian

Please let us know how old the tyres are. As the tyres age, the rubber hardens and the noise levels and bumpiness increases.
Old 22nd April 2014, 23:35   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
Please let us know how old the tyres are. As the tyres age, the rubber hardens and the noise levels and bumpiness increases.
I am not able to find the manufacturing year of the tyres ...

All i can see is tyres are manufactured in Philippines...
And some numbers like 4U9P-ELP0411...

Wheel bearings checked and found to be ok... Now reduced the tyre pressure to 29 psi, after that car is bottoming out on all the bangalore speed breakers .

Could not check the noise levels properly today after reduced tyre pressure, due to traffic conditions on the way from workshop to home.
Old 23rd April 2014, 17:01   #584
BHPian

Some more numbers present in all tyres,

E4 0228698, e4 0226784-S, D8252L-5....

Nothing makes sense to me with respect to tyre manufacturing year
Old 24th April 2014, 00:08   #585
Distinguished - BHPian

Can you post pictures of your tyre's sidewall? Take multiple pictures in such a way every inch of the sidewall is photographed. Post it here.

Also, it is possible that the manufacturing date is printed on the inside of the tyre (the part facing the suspension/brake discs).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks