Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2012, 18:43   #16
BHPian

Re: Uneven wear & tear of front tyres on my OHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijays15 View Post
Hi Everybody

The front tyres on my OHC wore out much faster than the rear tyres (pics pasted below). I have Michelin Pilot Preceda 195/60/R14 in my car and they have done between 10k-15k (not too sure but definitely within this range). The uneven wear & tear (i guess) started around 4 months back.

Issue (1) "What caused this uneven wear and tear (premature balding) and how do i prevent it in future?"

My mechanic felt that the front wheel bearings could be causing the problem. Subsequently, I had the entire suspension and brakes overhauled (overdue anyway) and now the tyres need to be replaced as well.

Issue (2) "Which tyre is best suited for my requirement"

My car is a 1997 type 1 OHC done about 80k. The current Michelin PP's are the 3rd set of tyres running on the car. The first set was Bridgestone, second set was Falken (the car is a hand-me-down and bro doesn't remember any details about the tyres). Budget per tyre is 5 grand. Priorities in order are reliability, performance/handling, comfort and life. I checked out Michelin Pilot Preceda and XM1+. I guess PP is suited towards handling and XM1+ is suited towards comfort. What other tyre brands/models would you recommend?

Note- The (worn out) tyres which were originally in the front are now in the rear and vice versa. The pics were taken after the rotation.

Please advise.

Thanks
Vijay

vijays15@hotmail.com
Hi Vijay,

Just want to check if your problems have since been solved after the wheel bearings change. I ask because I also recently faced the same problem, and the bearings have changed. I want to make sure that the problem has been nipped as I don't want it to aggravate and make me lose my tires.
Old 31st October 2012, 11:59   #17
BHPian

Even though i rotate the tyre and do wheel balancing/Allignment regularly on 5000 km I noticed the outer side of the front tyres wear little faster than the inner side . What could be the possible reason ?
Old 20th November 2012, 11:24   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_pm View Post
Even though i rotate the tyre and do wheel balancing/Allignment regularly on 5000 km I noticed the outer side of the front tyres wear little faster than the inner side . What could be the possible reason ?
Do you have tires with asymmetric threads? I believe those tires have softer rubber on the outer side, and harder rubber on the insides. The soft rubber on the outside helps in improving stability while cornering, but it also wears easily.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...tml#post497429

If this is not the case, then check out this page:
http://www.thepunditreport.com/2012/...tire-wear.html
and find out the type of tire wear you are seeing, am sure it will help you out

Last edited by di1in : 20th November 2012 at 11:40.
di1in is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed