Team-BHP - Are Bridgestone HT Tires sub standard?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Tyre & Alloy wheel Section (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/)
-   -   Are Bridgestone HT Tires sub standard? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/55925-bridgestone-ht-tires-sub-standard.html)

My Indica has done 108000kms, and has seen countless highways, mountain roads, no roads, high passes. All this has been accomplished in the Apollo Aceleres, a low budget tire. without frills.
I have never suffered blowouts, sidewall bulges etc.,

Now lets come to Bridgestone HTs.
First incident. The tire blew up. Yes at 90kmph on the highway, it lost pressure suddenly. Sidewall impact? Somebody shot a bullet? No. It just blew up.
And since I had to slowly come to the side, in the ensuing 500mts I drove after that, the sidewall got more cut. Something like when you drive after a puncture.
I have had many punctures in the Aceleres. In one case there was a 1/2" thick bolt which pierced the tire and went till the rim.
but still I did not loose air for a day.
Even with smaller punctures, tubless tires hold air for atleast some time.
But in this case, it happened within seconds.
One moment I am going fine, the next the tire is totally flat.

what to do? Get a new tire, since blowouts are not guaranteed.

Now comes the second incident. I go to the OTR, and the fun has just started, and I notice a bulge on the sidewall.
I take to a bridgestone dealer, he says that I probably hit a pothole etc., too hard, so no warranty benefit.

Well it looks I have to get another Tire soon.
So my question is that does Bridgestone make sub standard products which cannot bear the potholed highways of this country,
If so, they should stick to selling the west, and not pawn of such delicate tires here.

I think I will stick to JK/Apollo etc.,

Two of my tyres got cuts (I had posted pix here) which surprised me. Maybe its vandalism :( I dont think my driving style caused it.

OT: I think your Indica is running Amazers. Not Acceleres.

OTOH, I dont think BS HTs are bad tyres. They arent meant for hard offroading. They are HT tyres and not AT. How can you say they are bad if they develop a bulge due to hard offroading? It is like taking a Ferrari to an OTR and when it gets stuck or spoilt, you say it's a bad unreliable car!

About the blowout, I would say PURE BAD LUCK. And good luck too since you could retain control and there were no injuries. You should have still pressed a claim with the company as a blowout at high speed is ridiculous.Of course, you would have had a hard time proving your case but then the company too would have had a hard time proving that it was NOT a manufacturing defect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 (Post 1237462)
OT: I think your Indica is running Amazers. Not Acceleres.

Nope, unless the dealer sold me Amazers and changed the lettering on the side, my Indica runs 3 Accellers and one Ducaro
Quote:

OTOH, I dont think BS HTs are bad tyres. They arent meant for hard offroading. They are HT tyres and not AT. How can you say they are bad if they develop a bulge due to hard offroading? It is like taking a Ferrari to an OTR and when it gets stuck or spoilt, you say it's a bad unreliable car!
The bulge did not appear after offroading, but right at the beginning, before I hit the rocky path, Before this all I went into was loose sand. Moreover, the slight cut mark is near the main tread, however near the peak of the bulge, there are no cuts.
Forget offroading, I am talking about extremely bad roads. If Apollos do them, why not Bridgestones.
Quote:

About the blowout, I would say PURE BAD LUCK. And good luck too since you could retain control and there were no injuries. You should have still pressed a claim with the company as a blowout at high speed is ridiculous.Of course, you would have had a hard time proving your case but then the company too would have had a hard time proving that it was NOT a manufacturing defect.
I drove half a km after blowout as I slowly moved to left lane. What happens when you do that? You cut more sidewall.
So its my word against theirs, and they are not ready to believe. So I have bought better tires... JK Elanzo
I guess the second replacement will also be Elanzo

Are these tyres made in India?

Coz even i had a blow out in the S322's, the sidewall was slit horizontally.

But absolutely no issues with the G3s (which has seen worse driving conditions).

So its either a defective batch or a prob with tyres made here.

Shan2nu

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 1237489)
Nope, unless the dealer sold me Amazers and changed the lettering on the side, my Indica runs 3 Accellers and one Ducaro

Hehe. My bad then. Generally the Amazers are the ones which can take all the abuse you throw at it. The Acceleres are a little softer and more prone to damage. the Amazers are OE on the Indica, so I wrongly assumed that you were running Amazers :p

Quote:

The bulge did not appear after offroading, but right at the beginning, before I hit the rocky path, Before this all I went into was loose sand. Moreover, the slight cut mark is near the main tread, however near the peak of the bulge, there are no cuts.
Forget offroading, I am talking about extremely bad roads. If Apollos do them, why not Bridgestones.

Well, that is why Apollo is Apollo and BS is BS.
Quote:

I drove half a km after blowout as I slowly moved to left lane. What happens when you do that? You cut more sidewall.
So its my word against theirs, and they are not ready to believe. So I have bought better tires... JK Elanzo

This is terrible luck. I agree. On the other hand, the JKs are supposed to be much more rugged and long lasting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 1237459)
Two of my tyres got cuts (I had posted pix here) which surprised me. Maybe its vandalism :( I dont think my driving style caused it.

Vandalism on an SUV tyre? Unless one uses a powered drill, I think that would be very difficult. No ordinary knife will do any sizeable damage to a tyre like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shan2nu (Post 1237504)
Are these tyres made in India?

Yes, they are.

just curious, what about apollo hawkz? they've been on an advertising spree lately

Quote:

Heh heh

Quote:

So I have bought better tires... JK Elanzo

You find them more comfortable to drive in than the Bridgestone's ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by WasavaTyres (Post 1237727)
You find them more comfortable to drive in than the Bridgestone's ??

Safari has a pretty soft suspension. So a harder tire isn't going to make much of a difference to ride quality, however a harder tire will be more durable on bad roads. I can't keep buying tires every month.
I guess bridgestone should have stuck to countries where there are no potholes.

Going by what I read today on Team-BHP, Bridgestone Dueler H/T tubed (OEM for the 3.0 DiCOR) seem to be better than the tubeless versions (OEM for the 2.2 DiCOR).
Mine wore out early (58.6K km + 5-6K km expected life) compared to the JK Tornados on the Indica (64K km front / 74K km rear + spare).

My Bolero has been running on Bridgestone Dueler H/T's since 8 years and 160K kms now.
I have never faced any issues with them.
But then I may be wrong since Bolero does not make enough power to test these tyres to their limits.

I dont think all bridgestone tyres are universally bad. The S322's (tubed) that came on my indica have been abused a lot - bad terrain, getting their sides scuffed by the edges of concrete slabs ( the wheelcaps got broken), and still no issues

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrag (Post 1238144)
....Bridgestone Dueler H/T tubed ....
Mine wore out early (58.6K km + 5-6K km expected life) compared to the JK Tornados on the Indica (64K km front / 74K km rear + spare).

Arent those Bridgestones made of a softer component? So I feel you got them last for over 50K kms is good. I thought they lasted max for about 35-40K and not more on heavy vehicles like Safari/Scorp/Bolero.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay4587 (Post 1238332)
My Bolero has been running on Bridgestone Dueler H/T's since 8 years and 160K kms now.

So how many kms does a set last for? Do they last for more than 40K kms?

There are a couple of long term Bolero owners around, and I believe Boleros were mostly shipped with Bridgestone Dueler. Could you guys tell us how many kms these tyre last.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spinnerr (Post 1238359)
Arent those Bridgestones made of a softer component? So I feel you got them last for over 50K kms is good. I thought they lasted max for about 35-40K and not more on heavy vehicles like Safari/Scorp/Bolero.

So how many kms does a set last for? Do they last for more than 40K kms?

There are a couple of long term Bolero owners around, and I believe Boleros were mostly shipped with Bridgestone Dueler. Could you guys tell us how many kms these tyre last.

I would say 35-40K(this is when we replace them) would be more apt for them
they wear out quite fast on road,and our Bolero wasnt subjected to any kind of offroading.