Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2008, 15:50   #136
Senior - BHPian

Upsize for Getz?

Hi,
I have a Getz GL 1.3 and the tyres are stock size i.e. 175/70R13 (as sourced from the website).

What would be the correct upsize/same size?
Please recommend brands as well
Old 4th March 2008, 16:14   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Hi,
I have a Getz GL 1.3 and the tyres are stock size i.e. 175/70R13 (as sourced from the website).

Here is a site where you can get an idea on all the upsizes. Make sure the diameter differentoal is within 3%. The site gives a warning if it exceeds 3%. Try it out.

In terms of brand, personally I am a major Michelin fan. The Energy series is a good all rounder tyre. Quite comfortable and silent. Not sure about tyre life, though since I have driven just around 10000km on it. The tread still looks fresh.

Try this site

Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing

Brands - my personal preference is Michelin Energy series. Good all rounder tyre.

Last edited by Technocrat : 4th March 2008 at 16:23. Reason: Please use edit instead of making back to back posts
Old 4th March 2008, 21:43   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Hi,

I would recommend u to stick with the stock size and just get better tyres.

185/60-14 would be the correct 14" size.
Old 4th March 2008, 23:22   #139
BHPian

Hello people,
here are your answers -

@Ashutosh B - Have you decided

@bmdesai - Zen Estilo: You havnt mentioned which variant.
Lx & Lxi have 145/70 R13 AND Vxi has 155/65 R13.
Lxi Upgrade would be what has been mentioned as the Vxi size (155/65 R13).
Vxi Upgrade would be 165/60 R13
Upgrade can also be to stick to the same size you got your car with but buy better rubber.

Id suggest what kpzen says, for UPGRADE, stick to same size and just buy better rubber. Only in UPSIZE you need change the size.

UPSIZE for both variants would be 165/55 R14.
Less than 1% difference from OE.

@Peter & Nishant Gandhi:
Both your cars (Accent & Getz) have the same tyre size - 175/70 R13
Already mentioned by KPZEN. Am adding BOLD to his post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
UPGRADE - I would recommend u to stick with the stock size and just get better tyres.
UPSIZE - 185/60-14 would be the correct 14" size.
Tyre wise, i would say go with Michelin. If you are an enthusiastic driver, id bet on Yokohama anyday. They give comfort and performance.

Last edited by Xehaust : 4th March 2008 at 23:40.
Old 4th March 2008, 23:30   #140
BHPian

To put it in a nutshell for all future queries:

UPGRADE - Stick to OE size, just buy better rubber and dont make any changes in the size.
UPSIZE - Ask for suggestions just to be sure

BETTER RUBBER: Depends on your driving style.

Everyday normal driving style - MICHELIN (Comfort & Grip)
Enthusiastic driving style - YOKOHAMA (Comfort & Extreme Grip)
Old 4th March 2008, 23:54   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post

I won't agree on that completely. It will depend on which model u select.
U cant compare Michelin PPs to Yokohama A 300 and similarly u can't compare XM1s to S drives.
Old 5th March 2008, 00:17   #142
BHPian

Im not comparing kpzen. What im saying is that if driving style is normal driving then the person is better off buying michelin (Energy Series to be specific) as these tyres are more suited for such driving.

And if driving style is enthusiastic and hard cornering types, then the person should go in for Yokohama as in my personal opinion, these are well suited for such driving.

EDIT: i now see your point, you are talking about the different segments in both brands. Yes, you are right about that. Those are just my personal views, if driving is normal, go for michelin energy series and if its sporty, go for yokohama. Am recommending them as i have driven on these and found them good bang for the buck.
Old 5th March 2008, 01:20   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Ashutosh B - Have you decided
Yes he has, the tyres were fitted on his car a while back.

Quote:
UPSIZE for both variants would be 165/55 R14.
Less than 1% difference from OE.
Can you find me any one tyre sold in that size in India? I haven't seen one yet anywhere.

Quote:
Tyre wise, i would say go with Michelin. If you are an enthusiastic driver, id bet on Yokohama anyday. They give comfort and performance.
Quote:
Quote:
Those are just my personal views, if driving is normal, go for michelin energy series and if its sporty, go for yokohama. Am recommending them as i have driven on these and found them good bang for the buck.
Nope, completely disagree with you, KP is right. You cannot generalise on the brands with regards to comfort or performance. For eg. Michelin also sells the Pilot Sport Cup tyres which are anything but comfort & are one of the most extreme road legal tyres available in the world today. So generalising on brands is just plain worng.

Each brand sells multiple treads & all of them have different characteristics depending on what they're designed for. For eg. while Yoko ES 501 is a complete comfort biased tyre they also sell performance based tyres like the Advan Neova/Sport. Similarly while Michelin sells the PS2/PP2 range for performance it also have the Energy XM1/MXV8 series for comfort tyres.

Please do not generalise brands based on your personal preference.

P.S. Exhaust - A personal request to you, please do not vold your comments everywhere. In most cases it is not necessary & is an eye sore to read at most times. Please use this feature when absolutely necessary. I think most people get the gist of your advice without it too.

Last edited by iraghava : 5th March 2008 at 01:24.
Old 5th March 2008, 02:24   #144
BHPian

Whoa there iraghava.

Why all the aggression?

Let me clarify everything...

@ Estilo Upsize -
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Can you find me any one tyre sold in that size in India? I haven't seen one yet anywhere.
You are right about that. Nor have I so i was wondering whether i was right or not. so i suggested it but after posting checked around a bit and found that these are not to be found. Apologise for this.

@ Tyre Generalisation -
I guess it came out all wrong in the start. But i did correct it in my previous post.
Quote:
Im not comparing kpzen. What im saying is that if driving style is normal driving then the person is better off buying michelin (Energy Series to be specific) as these tyres are more suited for such driving.

EDIT: i now see your point, you are talking about the different segments in both brands. Yes, you are right about that. Those are just my personal views, if driving is normal, go for michelin energy series and if its sporty, go for yokohama. Am recommending them as i have driven on these and found them good bang for the buck.
Yes, i agree to the fact of miscommunication by me. To clarify, i did mean Michelin ENERGY series for day to day driving. Yokohama (forgot which series right now, im too sleepy, will post tomorrow after checking) for enthusiastic driving.

Once again, i mention to everyone, my apologies for the communication gap, what i meant was MICHELIN (ENERGY SERIES) for day to day normal driving style as these are comfort tyres and Yokohama (SERIES TO BE CHECKED AND PUT UP TOMORROW) for enthusiastic driving as these are performance tyres.

Finally, to conclude, i will keep in mind your point about the bold text while posting from now on. Like you stated, i was only trying to stress on certain points. Also, MODS, please delete those previous posts which created the confusion if you feel the need to do so.

P.S. Am still wondering why all the aggression

Last edited by Xehaust : 5th March 2008 at 02:28.
Old 14th March 2008, 00:18   #145

+1 Upsize for Alto

The Alto originally comes with 145/80 R-12. Is 155/70 R-13 a good upsize? The OD is just slightly bigger, the error is less than 2%.

155/65 R-13 is slightly smaller than OE by 0.1%. I know this is negligible and closer to 100% but I feel the ride quality will be better on a 155/70. The 70 is cheaper than the 65 too.

Will this tyre scrape the wheel wells in bad roads/hard cornering? If it does scrape the inner wall, could I fit spacers? Will this in turn mess with the wheel arch? Has anybody tried this size?

I have been busy looking for 13x5J alloys. There are hardly any around. Will 13x5.5J be too big for the Alto?

I found 13x5J Auras @ 3200 per wheel in Chennai. Is that a good price? Could I get it cheaper anywhere here?

I also found 13x5J Luff @ 3000 per wheel. It's a Taiwanese brand and doesn't offer warranty. It looks good and feels light too. It has an inscription saying "Load = 500Kg". Any experience with this brand?
Old 14th March 2008, 10:18   #146

hey..i m running on 185/45 r15 on my santro
Old 14th March 2008, 12:24   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushykutti View Post
The Alto originally comes with 145/80 R-12. Is 155/70 R-13 a good upsize? The OD is just slightly bigger, the error is less than 2%.

155/65 R-13 is slightly smaller than OE by 0.1%. I know this is negligible and closer to 100% but I feel the ride quality will be better on a 155/70. The 70 is cheaper than the 65 too.

Will this tyre scrape the wheel wells in bad roads/hard cornering? If it does scrape the inner wall, could I fit spacers? Will this in turn mess with the wheel arch? Has anybody tried this size?

I have been busy looking for 13x5J alloys. There are hardly any around. Will 13x5.5J be too big for the Alto?

I found 13x5J Auras @ 3200 per wheel in Chennai. Is that a good price? Could I get it cheaper anywhere here?

I also found 13x5J Luff @ 3000 per wheel. It's a Taiwanese brand and doesn't offer warranty. It looks good and feels light too. It has an inscription saying "Load = 500Kg". Any experience with this brand?
Kaushy
155/65-13 would be the ideal upsize for an Alto.
With 155/70-13 there are chances of the tyre scrapping with the wheel wells.
I would not recommend u to use spacers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyuth View Post
hey..i m running on 185/45 r15 on my santro

Pics please and what tyres??
Old 24th March 2008, 21:55   #148
BHPian

So ideal up size for alto is 155/65R13 . Is there any option in in 12'' size? I don't want to run on 13'' , since roads in my area are really bad
Recently saw some nice alloys from Plati in 12'' size. So guys suggest something in12'' range.

Old 24th March 2008, 23:14   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby View Post
So ideal up size for alto is 155/65R13 . Is there any option in in 12'' size? I don't want to run on 13'' , since roads in my area are really bad
Recently saw some nice alloys from Plati in 12'' size. So guys suggest something in12'' range.

The best tyre available in 12" is the Bridgestone Turanza ER60
Old 25th March 2008, 08:36   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
The best tyre available in 12" is the Bridgestone Turanza ER60

Thanks for the quick reply Kpzen. Now i can hunt for Turanza.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks