Team-BHP - Advise on Laura tyres - Michelin Vs Pirelli Vs Michelin
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Tyre & Alloy wheel Section (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/)
-   -   Advise on Laura tyres - Michelin Vs Pirelli Vs Michelin (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/56681-advise-laura-tyres-michelin-vs-pirelli-vs-michelin.html)

I need advice on the following:

My Laura is now Peted and there is a decent increase in torque.

My stock tyres (Dunlop Sport ) are 205/55 R 16. I am contemplating moving to 225/55 R16 tyres on the stock rims (6.5 J 16). Is this new size, which is about 3.4% bigger than the old one, going to adversely affect the car, steering or handling?

I am stuck between the Michelin Primacy HP, Pirelli P7 and Michelin Pilot Primacy tyres (I do not know if the Pilot Primacy are still available in India as only the Indian web-site of Michelin shows them). What do the gurus advise?

Cheers and thanks in advance,

I can vouch for the performance of Michelin PP2's, just as many other BHPians do. This is the best rubber for your Laura. 25K up on my C and the tyres have endured Indian conditions well, including several highway runs.

I would like to second GTO but i would strongly advice you to go for a 225/50r16 rather.
Since you are sticking to your o.e rims 225/55/16 is not advised. I am sure you'll love the clearance it would add to your car ( Skoda car owner's generally have a major issue with road clearance). To add to that the tire would probably touch inside if there are two people with some load in your boot.
Currently in 225/55r16 Pilot Primacy will be available but all the Mxv8's and Pilot primacy's will eventually get replaced with the new and better variant "Primacy LC".
I probably would ask you to look at Continental as an option over Pirelli's and Dunlop.

Thanks a tonne GTO and Nitin,

Welcome to TBHP Nitin, this is a delightful forum, I hope you enjoy it.

I took the sound advice given (to an extent). I also checked the worldwide and UK sites including tyrereviews. I told myself that if I was looking for more grip, it was better to go in for a grippier compound rather than increase the width. Somehow when the time came to take the plunge, I balked at the thought of increasing the height of my sidewalls and it's attendant propensity to deform during cornering. So stock size tyres it is.

My choices in order of preference were (1) Michelin Primacy HP, (2) Pirelli P7 and (3) Michelin Pilot Primacy. This was dictated as much by availability in the size(s) I was looking at i.e. 205/55, 215/55 and 225/55 or 225/50 in R16. Performance tyres are difficult to come by in those sizes even the PP2s are available only in the 205/50 size. I also went by the reviews and write-ups on them on TBHP and other fora.

Once in the shop I checked out some Yokohomas, Continental Premium Contacts and the all new Michelin Primacy LC. You are spot on @ Nitin, Michelin is introducing the Primacy LC to replace the XM1, MXV8, and some other lines including the Pilot Primacy. It is basically a comfort tyre with added performance. I found the sidewall very soft though the thread compound seemed soft to the touch.

I decided to go with the 205/55 R16 Primacy HPs and fitted a set. They cost about Rs. 9275/- each.

A look at my old tyres after they were dismounted was a revelation. The compound and sidewalls had hardened and were rock solid. Small bits from the blocks in the tread had chipped off.

The short drive back with the new tyres was a revelation. The car felt more supple and planted. The steering was lighter and more precise, the feedback too had improved. The ride quality has improved and the car now seems to glide along. The wheel-spin when I floor the accelerator has disappeared.

Cheers,

Nice one Vakil saab! new shoes and much wanted 300kms to test itself on soon as well :-) . No stopping the TANK now !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravveendrra (Post 1258660)

I decided to go with the 205/55 R16 Primacy HPs and fitted a set. They cost about Rs. 9275/- each.

Congrats Ravveendrra - Now, I have a strong reason to travel in the tank for our Suryalanka meet now! :)

This is the shortest advice thread on T-BHP! :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by absynthguzzler (Post 1258665)
Nice one Vakil saab! new shoes and much wanted 300kms to test itself on soon as well :-) . No stopping the TANK now !

I would rather have it as "maaji-vakil" or "ex-vakil". Well I thought it was time to put an end to the Tank's fascination for agricultural operations. Unless you plan to drop me off a bridge, I think the total distance is about 700. 352 one way as per my old travelogue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pulsar56 (Post 1258747)
Congrats Ravveendrra - Now, I have a strong reason to travel in the tank for our Suryalanka meet now! :)

This is the shortest advice thread on T-BHP! :thumbs up

As always, you are more than welcome. Are you sure you do not want to test the rocket on a long drive? There will be enough petrol-heads to give you advise and help.

About the thread being short - I posted the request for advice on the 'best overall performers' thread, but got no response. I then started this thread and hit pay-dirt! All's well that ends well.

Cheers,

Ravvendra- I got Primacy HP on my 520d and they seemed great. Now my 525d tyres are due for a change but I cant make up my mind between the Primacy HP or PP2s. My heart says PP2 since they have a better grip while maintaining the comfort but they have been several complaints about tyre bubbles.
Did you compare the compound of the Primacy HP vs PP2 to see which is softer hence more prone to damage?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahil (Post 1260569)
Ravvendra- I got Primacy HP on my 520d and they seemed great. Now my 525d tyres are due for a change but I cant make up my mind between the Primacy HP or PP2s. My heart says PP2 since they have a better grip while maintaining the comfort but they have been several complaints about tyre bubbles.
Did you compare the compound of the Primacy HP vs PP2 to see which is softer hence more prone to damage?

Hi Sahil,

I dropped in at the dealer again today for a tyre pressure gauge and met the rep from Michelin. He tells me that the whole Michelin range is being revamped. So if you can wait for a month or so you might get a better picture.

The PP2 are designed to be grippier while the Primacy HP gives a little more comfort. The sidewalls of the PP2 are stiffer then the ones on the HP. I think that the tread compound on the PP2 is softer but am not sure about it. The HP also has an assymetrical construction with the tread compound on the inside and outside of the tyres being different.

Cheers,

The best upsize in the laura on the stock alloys is the 225/50/16 and i recommend that you try out the YOKOHAMA DNA decibels in that size. The results would be very different in terms of road behaviour and the virtually zero road contact sound inside the cabin. The experience with the PP and MXV8 has not ben very pleasant in the last three cars as they tend to become very stiff post 20000 Kms. Try this one and you will have a different experience, and with your car already Peted, high speed character would be amazingly pleasant.

How much are the DNA Decibels ? Also, i guess they are quieter than the PP2's ?

The DNA decibel should be quieter than the PP2s for sure. However, they will not have the same outright grip as the PP2s in dry.

Would recommend Yokohoma S-Drive 205-55-R16. Use them currently am at about 15k kms they terrific compared to the m'lins MXV8 that I had earlier.

Have also attached a file that I posted earlier. Seems to make more sense here.

Would also recommend 225-50-R16 as the upsize with the same rims.

I have recently upsized my Laura tyres (without changing the stock alloys) to Yokohama DNA Decibel ES501 in 225/50-R16. The results are quite amazing - ride comfort is much superior, road grip is phenomenal and the tyre noise is the lowest I have experienced in my 38 years of driving. I give a solid thumbs-up to these tyres.