Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2009, 12:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tubeless Tyre issues

Friends,

I want to bring to notice a funny phenomena regarding the tubeless tyres that are in vogue today and used by many. I don't know if any of you have faced this issue since I've not see any report to that effect.

One of my tubeless BS Dueler A/T 31x10.5 R15 had a puncture due to a nail some months back, that was discovered during alignment and was repaired promptly using the repairing kit. All was well till a few days back.

Last Saturday, while leaving for work, I saw that the LHS rear appeared to have less pressure. On a check with the gauge the doubt was conformed and the pressure was found to be 21 psi - 10 psi less than what I normally fill. I tried looking for some nails etc., to pinpoint but couldn't find any. Went to the nearest gas station and filled up air and also asked him to check the valves. Nothing was found and I doubting some mischief makers in the condo drove on.

Sunday & Monday a visual glance didn't reveal any loss in pressure and my doubt about somebody playing a mischief got strengthened. Today morning there was an apparent visual loss of pressure. A check with the gauge showed 24psi.

This time I took it to the tyre repair guy again and after the vehicle was jacked-up and wheel removed and dipped in water tank revealed that this was the tyre that had a puncture few months back and the repaired area had a leak. Now what the tyre repair guy said was alarming, to say the least:

He said that with friction, driving on various surfaces and the presence of small stones etc., on the road leads to the widening of the opening caused by the puncture and this is a common happening. The only solution to this is to put a tube in it. When I asked what if it is repaired using the kit, he said that it won't hold for long. However, he with the tool inserted a fresh piece of the repairing strip along side the old one and the leak stopped.

But he warned that if the leak reappeared from the same place then apart from putting a tube there is no alternative.

Now, I want to know from the tyre experts, if this is true and or anyone has undergone this experience before?
Old 21st April 2009, 12:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

That is a bit worrisome indeed.
GD, is the tyre pressure correct? Wont under inflating cause more flex in the tyre and thus more friction? Where is this puncture? Is it close to the sidewall?
Old 21st April 2009, 13:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

All my tyres are filled to 31 psi, which is increased to 33 psi in winters. The puncture had happened some months ago right in the center of the tyre between the treads caused by a naughty nail..

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
That is a bit worrisome indeed.
GD, is the tyre pressure correct? Wont under inflating cause more flex in the tyre and thus more friction? Where is this puncture? Is it close to the sidewall?
Old 21st April 2009, 13:19   #4
BHPian

Yup, the same happened with my Zen's front RHS tyre. I had no option but to put tube. Now, after putting tube, another drama started. As the repaired tyre was put back to the same position, the car started wobbling at speeds of 15 - 30 km/hr & beyond 90 km/hr. The Michelin dealer at Lajpat Ngr told that this will happen due to additional weight of tube & different dynamics of front tyres under motion. So, either put tube in all the tyres OR change the damaged tyre.

The tyres are 25000 km old & can go on for another 15000 km easily, so IMO adding a new tyre will again cause different levels of wear & tear. As a temporarily solution to the wobbling problem, I have shifted the damaged tyre to the rear and the problem is there only when I drive > 100 km/hr .

I've decided to change all the tyres to Appollo accelere ( which are more suitable for indian roads as per various dealers and cheaper than Michelin by Rs. 450 per tyre; 155/65 R 13 - Michelin - INR 2500 & Appollo INR 2050 )Tyre Gurus Pl. comment

Last edited by breezydrive : 21st April 2009 at 13:24.
Old 21st April 2009, 13:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

GD - what type of puncture repair did you do ? The Rs50 puncture repair where the repair wala first pierces the punctured area with a crude tool and makes it wider and then forces in a sticky fibrous long rubber piece - this one i have my doubts lasts long because its done from outside

i am told there is a more expensive fix which is done from INSIDE the tire using some costly machines and the net result is a small cylindrical tube of rubber sticking out from inside. this costs Rs250 ( in chennai atleast ) and my guess is this is a better fix to punctures than the one available in many small shops here in Gurgaon
Old 21st April 2009, 13:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

GD i guess the 1st Puncture was not patched up properly and that was the cause for the subsequent puncture at the same place.

Frankly speaking my Safari had a puncture at around 3000Kms due to a nail, after getting it repaired with genuine puncture strips and till date we have no problems which has reached 35,000kms.

Quote:
He said that with friction, driving on various surfaces and the presence of small stones etc., on the road leads to the widening of the opening caused by the puncture and this is a common happening.
Whatever he is quoting above is not true..., the tyre guy is smart and trying to sell you a tube.

Quote:
GD - what type of puncture repair did you do ? The Rs50 puncture repair where the repair wala first pierces the punctured area with a crude tool and makes it wider and then forces in a sticky fibrous long rubber piece - this one i have my doubts lasts long because its done from outside
Narayan this is the only way of doing the puncturing of Tubeless tyres i have heard about and it works without any problem if it is done using a genuine puncture strips or stick.

Last edited by gowda79 : 21st April 2009 at 13:39.
Old 21st April 2009, 13:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

How about re-repairing the puncture ?? As putting on tube will lead to wobbling due to uneven balance in tyres, else put tubes in both tyres !!

Have you tinkled Ishaan ?
Old 21st April 2009, 13:45   #8
Team-BHP Support

GD I have had Apollo aceleres with multiple punctures. After repair there was no pressure loss even after 10000kms of touring on the toughest roads.
I think the problem could be a defective puncture repair kit.
You can also go for path repair, where a patch is stuck on the inside.
Old 21st April 2009, 13:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Me too feels that first puncture was not sealed correctly.
My santro has two tyres each having one repaired puncture (repaired from outside using pierce tool & puncture stick) and these haven't leaked air for more than a year & more than 10000 Kms running.
Old 21st April 2009, 14:11   #10
BHPian

I had a puncture on one of my tyres which has not given me any problems for more than 8 months now. Just recently two more punctures happened on the same tyre and I haven't noticed any leaks so far.

I suspect there is still some hidden puncture in your tyre. Some of the very small punctures may still remain undetected through the traditional method of inflating and dipping under water.
Old 21st April 2009, 14:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

Going with the majority opinion - puncture was not fixed properly the first time.
Old 21st April 2009, 14:27   #12
BANNED

I prefer repairs the old fashioned way. Take the tyre off (use proper tools), and put a patch on the puncture. This way any peripheral damage is also covered. In the 70s the push in 9external) repairs were only considered temporary and we good for at most 100 miles. Proper repairs were supposed to be what I have outlined above
Old 21st April 2009, 14:59   #13
BHPian

I'm a victim of the same issue with my tubeless. One of the tyres had a pucture few months ago and I got one of my colleague's driver to get it fixed. Ever since, the pressures drop every week and I need to go for refill.

I recently got it checked at Vijay Wheel Alignment and there was no leak.

I think it would be a good idea to publish city wise list of places where proper punctures are fixed with the right equipments.
Old 21st April 2009, 16:07   #14
BHPian

Hi GD, this seems to be a case of improper tools and fake sealant. Suggest you get it checked at some place that does a good job. It is a good suggestion by Dirty Harry to list down good places for such repairs.
Old 21st April 2009, 17:47   #15

Hi,
Sometimes when the puncture is a little big it happens. The right way to repair this is getting a mushroom patch from the inside. If you drop into any of the Michelin priority partner or a bridgestone select showroom in your city, they'll be able to solve it for you. Its a regular phenomenon.

Most Viewed