Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2009, 23:24   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Fair point.Maruti also does not even give diesel owners ABS and airbags even as an option in almost all its models. However I get a sense that people are upsizing just for the looks in far too many cases. Also, here is a counter - even with thicker rubber, I am not convinced that the Swift is a car to drive at the speeds it can achieve, in India. Indeed the thicker rubber may end up giving one a false sense of security. And across all categories of drivers, the accident and fatality rates in India are a disgrace. I will not agree that this can be laid to any significant degree at the doors of the car makers. Even among the enthusiasts, a lot of what is seen on the roads belongs on the race track. As far as the lesser educated drivers go, the less said the better. Or, all there is to say is one should be very aware of their antics and keep out of their way by as defensive driving as is possible. Dying on an Indian road, neglected by everyone is not a pleasant end. Sorry to digress a bit here, but this is one of those things I get worked up about.
Well, about people upsizing only for looks, I cantsay much. But in 99% of those cases, they are getting a safer car for sure.

Anyway, sorry to digress, but coming back to the topic: New footwear for the i20.

It comes stock with 185/65 R14 Acceleres right? If so, I dont see much point in upsizing within 14". The Apollos are decent tyres and you wont gain anything by uspzing to 195/60 R14.

If you want to feel a major difference, then upsize to 15" and then go for 195/55 R15 but in this case, your ride quality will go for a toss.

I suggest you dont upsize but stick to the OE tyres unless you're going to install a Pete's box and do some major mods to make the car superfast. In that case, you can go for 195/60 R14 Advan Neovas or 195/55 R`15 Advan Neovas.

Apart from this, I dont suggest any upsizing. Also, 195/60 R14 will give you a slightly worse ride quality.

Now, in case you get 175/70 R14, I suggest you still stick to the stock size and tyres if it is Apollo Acceleres.
Old 16th July 2009, 17:53   #17
BHPian

I own a i20 Asta, and have not changed the OEM Acceleres. How are your Michelins? The Acceleres are pretty good and noise levels are not bad at all. Do you think the Michs have improved ride quality? Which areas would you put Michelins higher than the OEM?
Major reason I didn't change is I would have to pay a packet for the exchange as I was getting only 60% of actual cost for the OEMs, that too straight-from-showroom condition.

Quote:
Another thing you may be able to do is to see how the European market Astas are shod, copying that would be a safe bet, if you really want to upsize.
Btw, on my new i 20, all I did was switch from the Aceleres to Michelins. Even this may have been unnecessary, for all I know, the OE tyres may be perfectly ok, but I am familiar with Michelins for over ten years now.
Old 17th July 2009, 15:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

If you want to change, the time to do it is when the car is brand new. Else, you will drop a packet, as you have found out. I can't comment about the difference, because all I know about the Apollos is the driving of them for 15 kms in the city. And I only switched to Michelins because I have been a fan of them since 1995, when my Zen came with OE Michelins, and the car/tyre both gave me outstanding service.
If you are happy with the Acceleres, I am pretty sure you will remain so. Rest your mind and enjoy the car, and use the money saved for fuel to take you further!
Old 17th July 2009, 16:02   #19
BHPian

I was talking about brand new only, the dealer was giving me only 60-70% value for the brand new Acceleres, so I did not want to take that hit. I don't really regret keeping the OEM because they have very decent grip and noise levels. All I wanted to compare is ride quality.

Quote:
If you want to change, the time to do it is when the car is brand new. Else, you will drop a packet, as you have found out. I can't comment about the difference, because all I know about the Apollos is the driving of them for 15 kms in the city. And I only switched to Michelins because I have been a fan of them since 1995, when my Zen came with OE Michelins, and the car/tyre both gave me outstanding service.
If you are happy with the Acceleres, I am pretty sure you will remain so. Rest your mind and enjoy the car, and use the money saved for fuel to take you further!
Old 17th July 2009, 18:06   #20
Senior - BHPian

You may find that ride quality will be affected just as much by air pressures. And the calibration of the pumps in India is all over the place, so to be sure that you are carrying 30 all around, it may worth spending some time. Finally, remember that the Asta has a hard ride, and the rear will not smother all the bumps on the road. My only reason for the Michelins was longevity, and only because I knew them well is why I switched. Paid Rs 5000 for the switch to XM 1 plus on all 5.
Old 21st July 2009, 20:07   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Paid Rs 5000 for the switch to XM 1 plus on all 5.
Whats the actual price of XM1+? can you post the pic of your i20 after the tyre change pls?
Old 21st July 2009, 20:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

I think they are around Rs 4k. And the car actually looks a little less impressive, Michelins look less impressive than the OE Acceleres. So if looks is a criteria, stick to the OEs.
Old 23rd July 2009, 12:10   #23
BHPian

Talking about ride quality, would nitrogen-filled tyres help in any noticable imrpovement?

Quote:
You may find that ride quality will be affected just as much by air pressures. And the calibration of the pumps in India is all over the place, so to be sure that you are carrying 30 all around, it may worth spending some time. Finally, remember that the Asta has a hard ride, and the rear will not smother all the bumps on the road. My only reason for the Michelins was longevity, and only because I knew them well is why I switched. Paid Rs 5000 for the switch to XM 1 plus on all 5.
Old 23rd July 2009, 18:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

Ok, one last question:

The I20 comes with Apollo Acceleres 185/65/R14s

If I swap the same with Bridgestone 185/65/R14s, the cost difference for 4 tyres is Rs. 4000 + Balancing.

Money well spent / Money wasted?

Last edited by AbhiJ : 23rd July 2009 at 18:26.
Old 23rd July 2009, 18:29   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Total waste!

I say, no need to waste money on changing tyres from Acceleres unless you're going in for a bgger size.
Old 23rd July 2009, 18:46   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Total waste!

I say, no need to waste money on changing tyres from Acceleres unless you're going in for a bgger size.
Let me change the question then :

If I swap the same with Bridgestone Potenzas / Other Brand 205/60/R14s

Last edited by AbhiJ : 23rd July 2009 at 18:57.
Old 23rd July 2009, 19:02   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Let me change the question then :

If I swap the same with Bridgestone Turanza ER 60 195/60/R14s, the cost difference for 5 tyres is Rs. 5000 + Balancing.

IMO, the answer should be:

Money well wasted!
You can the donate same money in charity, if really want to spent that amount.

Apollo Acceleres are decent tyres, equally comparable to Turanzas and both are just behind Michelin in terms of performance.
Old 23rd July 2009, 19:25   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
IMO, the answer should be:

Money well wasted!
You can the donate same money in charity, if really want to spent that amount.

Apollo Acceleres are decent tyres, equally comparable to Turanzas and both are just behind Michelin in terms of performance.
So an upgrade from 205/60 R14 from 185/65 R14 is not worth it?
Old 23rd July 2009, 19:26   #29
BHPian

If you dont want to have much speedo error and still would like to upgrade, then the recommended sizes for i20 are 185/60 R15 and 195/50 R16. These are the ones it comes with in Europe. Of course the R16 ones may be bad on our roads and move from 185/65R14 to 185/60R15 may not make any significant impact.

Otherwise, the 195/60 R15 is doing pretty well on my car with a 3% speedo/odo error.
Old 23rd July 2009, 19:34   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Ok, one last question:

If I swap the same with Bridgestone 185/65/R14s, the cost difference for 4 tyres is Rs. 4000 + Balancing.

I agree that its an absolute waste of money.

One more point to add. Both Bridgestone and Apollo are OEM to Hyundai, and cars are fitted with whatever tyre stock is lying with the factory at that moment. A dealer will have multiple numbers of the same car, some Bridgestone shod and some Apollo shod. Have you already taken delivery of the car?

The reason I ask is because my Verna CRDI also came with Bridgestone B250 185/65 R14s. Wonderful tyres which I cant stop singing praises of! In case you havent taken delivery of your I20, ask your dealer to give you a model equipped with Bridgestones.

Otherwise, forget it!

Edit: Sorry, just saw the opinion change to 205s now. Even that would be a waste of money. IMO, the i20 is not powerful enough to warrant such an upsize. You'll only end up compromising your fuel consumption.

Last edited by predatorwheelz : 23rd July 2009 at 19:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks