Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2011, 07:55   #196
BHPian

Re: Michelin Primacy LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedmisile View Post
The dealer is Lal Enterprises, Lloyds Road, Gopalapuram.

He has quoted 5325 per tyre and buyback at 2000 per stock tyre(Apollo Accelere's) and 300 per stock rim. So i need to pay the difference(abt 9200). Seems fair?
This is what I paid when I got them 3 weeks back.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...heels-229.html

While you at it can you check if Lal would be interested in a set of 4 ANHC stock rims (fairly new, just abt a month old) and what would be their buy back rate ?

Last edited by donarun : 3rd February 2011 at 07:59.
Old 3rd February 2011, 09:34   #197
BHPian

Okay, thats more or less the same rate, except that the buyback rate you got was better!

Yep, i'll ask him about the ANHC rims buyback.
Old 3rd February 2011, 09:42   #198
Senior - BHPian

Just a warning for anyone reading this thread and going for this tyre:

I migrated from Potenza GIIIs on my Swift to Primacy LC on City. The tyres cant hold a candle in terms of performance I had with my Potenzas. Yes ride is soft, but its at the expense of handling and grip. I seriously recommend other tyres for any bhpian looking for even half way decent performance.
Old 21st February 2011, 23:18   #199
BHPian

What a difference a set of new tyres make! My S.drives had suffered uneven wear and had become quite noisy. Naturally was leaning towards something quieter. Sport and Comfort don't seem to go together in tyre manufacturers' dictionary. Settled on Primacy LC finally due to lack of any other alternatives. Am not disappointed at all. The car feels totally new. The ride is so smooth and absolutely no tyre noise at all. Haven't felt any difference in handling in the 200 odd kms that I've driven on these. 8200 bucks per tyre are a bit on the costlier side but well spent I guess.

Oh BTW mine is a RS.
Old 25th February 2011, 23:24   #200
BHPian

My 2008 SX4 has stock JKs with 43K on the ODO. It still has some life left for another 5k. I'm planning to change tyres during 45 K service.

Should I change ti Michelin Primacy LC. I would really like to enjoy the silent and comfort ride. But bit worried about the problem people say regarding the soft side wall of Michellin.

Is it that worse? JKs have been really trust worthy all this 43K kms run. I've driven through most damaged rural roads and once I ran over a sharp object from a road divider protruding 2 inches out, but nothing happend to the tyres.

Will switching to Michelin Primacy LC be a risk in terms of safety? I can sacrifice on noise and ride comfort, but do not want to take risk on safety.

The approach road to my house is 2km gravel road with sharp stones and pot holes. Will michelin be able to handle it?

Please suggest if I should switch to Michelin and experience a quite ride or should I stick to JKs?

So far no issues from JKs apart from the noise and hard ride.
Old 28th February 2011, 07:01   #201
Senior - BHPian

Ok. I have had the Michelin LC on my Elantra for 30000kms now and will change in another 1000 kms. Silent and Comfort. Grip levels are average both on dry and wet conditions. Recommended for people who want comfortable ride. Dont mistake for the mileage . I have been running this pete'd elantra only on the expressway often maintaining 140kmph speed. So , tires worn out quickly. "Will be trying to change to CPC2 or GIII soon. But not buying the same tire again. I need good grip on the highways.
undead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2011, 20:09   #202
BHPian

I did change to primary LC the day i bought my i20 diesel. Now i have done 7000 kms so far in less than 3 months now. My opinion is it is very comfortable on bad stretch of roads. It just glides over even on bigger patholes, both in low and high speeds. And it does the same while hard braking too. It just glides during hard braking. Horrible n i'm surely not going again for this tyre.
Harshavarthan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2011, 20:34   #203
BHPian

Update: Today changed all 5 tyres to JK Vectras from Sai Iyengars IndraNagar.

Spoke to Ashwin and got JKs for 5300 per piece including alignment, balancing and fitting. Ashwin recommended to continue with JKs and save 20K instead of going for Michelins.

Hope this set lasts for next 40k.

Checked at Madhus enterprise as well and they quoted 6600 per piece for Jks. I told them about Sai Iyengar price and they said as they are not JK dealers, the cost will me more.

So
Old 3rd December 2011, 07:02   #204
BHPian

I changed the stock tyres in the Honda City V AT with Primacy LC yesterday. The tyre profile is now 195/65 R 15.

I was looking to buy Michelin XM1 but the dealer did not have XM1 in 195/65 R 15 profile. I quickly checked in Michelin India website as well but could not find them.

I felt that the ride is a lot smoother and potholes are way easy to handle. I got each tyre at 5,750 Rupees.
Old 3rd December 2011, 12:18   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
I changed the stock tyres in the Honda City V AT with Primacy LC yesterday. The tyre profile is now 195/65 R 15.

I was looking to buy Michelin XM1 but the dealer did not have XM1 in 195/65 R 15 profile. I quickly checked in Michelin India website as well but could not find them.

I felt that the ride is a lot smoother and potholes are way easy to handle. I got each tyre at 5,750 Rupees.
LC is a premium tyre which is smoother and meant for larger cars.
XM1 is an economic tyre meant for smaller cars.
MXV8 is an economic tyre meant for larger cars.

I have used both LC and MXV8 and found the LC to be much better.
Old 3rd December 2011, 12:44   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

For what it's worth I've been using PLCs since 2 of my OEMs tyres' sidewalls were damaged in March 2010. I had the entire set replaced with PLCs and I am very happy with the silence and comfort. But there is a very distinct loss of handling as the sidewalls are soft. In fact when I press the brake and the car comes to a halt there is slight roll (much like a Volvo bus does when she halts). This happens consistently. Tyre pressures (Nitrogen) are maintained @ 32 PSI (+2 PSI than recommended) so that I don't have to top up very frequently, just once in 2 months. I have even topped after after 3 months with a loss of just 3 PSI.

Caveat - these tyres are not meant for rough roads - you need to be careful about the sidewalls and maintain recommended tyre pressures at all times.
Old 11th December 2011, 20:19   #207
BHPian

Guys, Last week I saw that one of the tyre on my Cruze had a swollen side wall (About 1.5 inch diameter). I have done about 21000 kms on stock JK tyres. Although, this tyre was immeidately replaced by the spare one, I am a little wary of keeping this tyre even as spare. What is the best option I have right now?
Old 16th December 2011, 14:26   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay1707 View Post
Guys, Last week I saw that one of the tyre on my Cruze had a swollen side wall (About 1.5 inch diameter). I have done about 21000 kms on stock JK tyres. Although, this tyre was immeidately replaced by the spare one, I am a little wary of keeping this tyre even as spare. What is the best option I have right now?
Tyre with swollen sidewall is risky at any half decent speed. You would not want to have a puncture in the middle of a highway and then run on that swollen tyre. Get a single tyre of the same make and put it in your boot.

OR if you in the mood to get new tyres you can think of buying four new ones and keeping one of the good JKs as spare. May I suggest Michelin Pricmacy LC? I have 16" PLCs on my Laura TSI (205/55/16) . You Cruze also being a fast car will want tyres with good grip. I find the tyres provide excellent grip levels combined with good comfort. I have driven my car for about 10,000 kms on the PLCs and I have not faced any issues due to the soft sidewalls. I simply love the quite and comfortable ride these tyres offer. On the performance front too I never found any shortcomings in the tyres.

Edit : If you drive on country roads too often, then Michlelins may not be the way to go due to their delicate nature.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 16th December 2011 at 14:29. Reason: extra info
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 21:22   #209
BHPian

Just put in 5 Primacy LCs in Civic.

Caveat:

3 tyres are March 2011 and 2 tyres (one spare) is Nov 2010.
Fought for and got an invoicing discount. (~ 5.1 K for the 2010 tyres)

Civic would be there for a couple of years max. and hence not really concerned about the tyre longevity. The tread was deep and Michelin was anyway giving the standard warranty.

Observations - first 10 Km of driving:

1. After reading the gushing eulogies, I was expecting almost zero tyre roar. But that's not the case. In fact I think the XM1+ Energy I put on my now-sold Swift five years back had similar noise levels when new. Quiet but noticeable hum on good asphalt roads.

2. Ride quality - slightly better. I can hear the suspension working harder now.

3. Braking - good improvement. Feels surefooted. Can feel the sidewall flex but does what it's told to do without fuss.

On the whole, good. Not too sure about the price premium.
Old 12th January 2012, 11:35   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Michelin PLC - bulge on sidewall

Struck by Michelin Tyre woes!
My 6 month old Laura had been happily running on Michelin Primacy LCs (205/55/16) and had covered about 12,000 kms before I noticed that one of the tyres has developed a bulge in its sidewall. The car had recently done a 500 km trip from Blr to Belgaum on smooth NH roads and a 500 km round trip from Belgaum to Honnavar on decent state highways. Some portion of road had some potholes, the usual kinds you would expect on state highways. I certainly drove carefully over these potholes. I can't imagine any possible reason as to how this could happen, more so due to the fact that the car was carrying only two passengers with hardly any luggage.

I will try to enforce warranty, but am not sure how successful I will be in getting one, given the trend with warranty enforcements with tyre mfrs. How should I approach the issue? Any pointers?

If I am denied warranty, I guess my best option would be to buy one new tyre of the same make. I don't want to risk keeping this tyre as spare. But then what if it happens again? I can't afford to keep buying new PLCs everytime as they are pretty expensive.

I was very happy with the ride, grip, silence etc.. of the PLCs. But this bulge has proved to be a huge spoilsport.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks