Old 7th February 2012, 11:20   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Michelin Primacy LC

What tyre pressure are you running?
Old 8th February 2012, 21:12   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2
For what it's worth I've been using PLCs since 2 of my OEMs tyres' sidewalls were damaged in March 2010.
===============
Caveat - these tyres are not meant for rough roads - you need to be careful about the sidewalls and maintain recommended tyre pressures at all times.
I inflate to 35psi. That's what the dealer advised. I remember reading in this thread as well.
Old 2nd March 2012, 17:40   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva View Post
I inflate to 35psi. That's what the dealer advised. I remember reading in this thread as well.
What's your car's recommended tyre pressure? It all depends if you are ok with the relative discomfort caused by overinflated tyres. The car can get skittish especially at higher speeds.

I am supposed to maintain 30 PSI and inflate it to 32 i.e. little under 7% more. This is primarily because I fill up nitrogen every 2-3 months. It results in a loss of about 2-3 PSI over that time period so at no point in time do they remain underinflated which is detrimental for tyres like the PLC with soft side walls.

BTW, even a 2 PSI increase is has noticeable impact on the comfort. The suspension has a noticeable thud over bumps and potholes. I wouldn't go above 32 PSI at least with my car.

Cheers!
Old 21st April 2012, 14:34   #229
BHPian

Guys, need your suggestions to upgrade the tyres on my Cruze. I thought of changing the stock JK Vectras (205/60/R16) to Conti CPC2 225/55/R16. But getting CPC2s is a problem in Kochi as no tyre shop has it in stocks now. I have been waiting for the new stocks to arrive for more than 2 months. I don't think I should wait any more as one of the Vectras got a nasty cut which is beyond repair. Can you guys please suggest the next best alternative to CPC2? Should I go for Michelin Primacy LC or Yoko? I'm looking for good ride quality and decent grip. Does Primacy LC come in 225/55/R16? Any suggestions, please?
Old 22nd April 2012, 20:44   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzerman View Post
Guys, need your suggestions to upgrade the tyres on my Cruze. I thought of changing the stock JK Vectras (205/60/R16) to Conti CPC2 225/55/R16. But getting CPC2s is a problem in Kochi as no tyre shop has it in stocks now. I have been waiting for the new stocks to arrive for more than 2 months. I don't think I should wait any more as one of the Vectras got a nasty cut which is beyond repair. Can you guys please suggest the next best alternative to CPC2? Should I go for Michelin Primacy LC or Yoko? I'm looking for good ride quality and decent grip. Does Primacy LC come in 225/55/R16? Any suggestions, please?
I think 225/55/16 is available in Primacy LC. They should be priced upwards of 11k. I can tell you from experience that these tyres offer excellent grip and super ride quality too. THink twice though if drive on bad roads too often. Like most imports they require a certain degree of care.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2012, 21:42   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Been using the Michelin PLC since Mar 2010. They are +ve on road noise, grip and comfort but -ve on handling (body roll) and possibly longevity as they are made of have soft rubber which provides the comfort. The side walls are comparatively delicate and you need to be careful on rough roads.

If you are particular about handling especially at high speed this is not the tyre for you.

Cheers!
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2012, 23:22   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I think 225/55/16 is available in Primacy LC. They should be priced upwards of 11k. I can tell you from experience that these tyres offer excellent grip and super ride quality too. THink twice though if drive on bad roads too often. Like most imports they require a certain degree of care.
Michelins are really expensive. One of the dealers here quoted 13K. Do you think it's a fair price? I guess I have to think twice before I buy as roads in Kerala are not in good shape.
Old 22nd April 2012, 23:37   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Been using the Michelin PLC since Mar 2010. They are +ve on road noise, grip and comfort but -ve on handling (body roll) and possibly longevity as they are made of have soft rubber which provides the comfort. The side walls are comparatively delicate and you need to be careful on rough roads.

If you are particular about handling especially at high speed this is not the tyre for you.

Cheers!
Thanks mate. When you say ''to be careful on rough roads'', what exactly should I be careful about on rough roads. In Kerala, roads are not very well maintained. We have potholes on most of the roads. In this case, do you think it's wise to consider Primacy LC? Do you think Conti CPC2's sidewalls are better suited for such roads?

I'm not worried about the handling as I usually do not drive at speeds more than 100-110 kmph on highways (though I have touched 150 couple of times). Considering the weight of the car (a little more than 1500 kgs) do you think the soft tyres would be a safety hazard during hard braking?
Old 23rd April 2012, 10:28   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks mate. When you say ''to be careful on rough roads'', what exactly should I be careful about on rough roads.
Try and avoid potholes and sharp road shoulders. The sidewalls will get damaged by such impacts and you will need to replace the tyre. This type of damage is not covered under warranty.

Quote:
In Kerala, roads are not very well maintained. We have potholes on most of the roads. In this case, do you think it's wise to consider Primacy LC? Do you think Conti CPC2's sidewalls are better suited for such roads?
If roads are not well maintained, Michelins, especially the PLC, are best avoided. I am not familiar with the Continental range but they too have soft compounds. I would recommend the Bridgestone Turanzas having used them on my car. You can also PM 'Nikhilb2008' our in-house tyre expert for his advice.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 16:30   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks mate. When you say ''to be careful on rough roads'', what exactly should I be careful about on rough roads. In Kerala, roads are not very well maintained. We have potholes on most of the roads. In this case, do you think it's wise to consider Primacy LC? Do you think Conti CPC2's sidewalls are better suited for such roads?

I'm not worried about the handling as I usually do not drive at speeds more than 100-110 kmph on highways (though I have touched 150 couple of times). Considering the weight of the car (a little more than 1500 kgs) do you think the soft tyres would be a safety hazard during hard braking?
Primacy LCs are really good tires and are meant for high speed capable cars since they available from 15" upwards only. I find their performance to be excellent, be it grip, high speed stability, ride, noise etc.. I have done about 17000 kms on my Laura with these and estimate that they will last for about 25k kms more. On certain sudden braking circumstances I was simlpy amazed with the grip these tires had. They just don't squeal.

But these tires are not as rough road friendly as our MRFs and Ceats. You can't just thud through potholes carelessly. As I said they are pricey. You need to decide whether they are worth it .
Old 24th April 2012, 20:26   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Try and avoid potholes and sharp road shoulders. The sidewalls will get damaged by such impacts and you will need to replace the tyre. This type of damage is not covered under warranty.

If roads are not well maintained, Michelins, especially the PLC, are best avoided. I am not familiar with the Continental range but they too have soft compounds. I would recommend the Bridgestone Turanzas having used them on my car. You can also PM 'Nikhilb2008' our in-house tyre expert for his advice.
Thanks mate for the inputs. Any idea what exactly is covered under the warranty? Do they grant replacement under warranty for any kind of such sidewall damages or is it just the premature tyre wear? Pardon me if I'm asking too many questions.
Old 24th April 2012, 20:46   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Michelins are really expensive. One of the dealers here quoted 13K. Do you think it's a fair price? I guess I have to think twice before I buy as roads in Kerala are not in good shape.
That is obscene pricing. I paid about 24K for a set of four tires (Primacy LC) for my civic in December. Have tyre prices shot up in the last 4 months?
Old 24th April 2012, 21:03   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks mate for the inputs. Any idea what exactly is covered under the warranty? Do they grant replacement under warranty for any kind of such sidewall damages or is it just the premature tyre wear? Pardon me if I'm asking too many questions.
Michelin will replace the tyre ONLY if they are convinced that the abnormality..read bulge or something similar on the sidewall or elsewhere on the tyre is due to manufacturing defects. Michelin has a strict warranty policy and they don't budge.

Seriously..if you drive on potholed roads give Michelin, especially the PLCs, a miss. Try Bridgestone Turanzas or Apollo Accelere. I have heard good things about the Accelere. Forget MRF (no flames from MRF fans please!) as they are nowhere near Michelin, Continental or Bridgestone.

PS - Santoshbhat's experience http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2643406

Cheers!

Last edited by R2D2 : 24th April 2012 at 21:07.
Old 25th April 2012, 00:21   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Primacy LCs are really good tires and are meant for high speed capable cars since they available from 15" upwards only. I find their performance to be excellent, be it grip, high speed stability, ride, noise etc.. I have done about 17000 kms on my Laura with these and estimate that they will last for about 25k kms more. On certain sudden braking circumstances I was simlpy amazed with the grip these tires had. They just don't squeal.
Have you driven them in the wet? If so, how do they fare?
Old 25th April 2012, 09:07   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Have you driven them in the wet? If so, how do they fare?
Oh they're good in the wet. I believe good wet whether grip is one of its strengths as claimed by Michelin. I have driven them quite a bit in wet conditions on highways etc.. and I can tell you they perform very well in wet conditions as they do in most other conditions. Only downside is their delicate nature as I found out a few months back. Even if you just press on its sidewall with your bare hands you can tell its soft!

Most Viewed