Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2012, 10:03   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Michelin Primacy LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun Venugopal View Post
That is obscene pricing. I paid about 24K for a set of four tires (Primacy LC) for my civic in December. Have tyre prices shot up in the last 4 months?
Civic OEM is 195/65/R15, where as in Cruze it is 205/55/R16 and he is looking to upgrade to 225. Hence the big price difference. I bought 205/65/R15 for my Civic at 5400 apiece back in 2010. I have driven more than 15k kms on them and so far it has performed in an excellent manner on all types of roads including Kerala and Karnataka. They are not as weak as it may appear on bad roads.
Old 25th April 2012, 10:06   #242
BHPian

The first thing I did when I bought my Vento was change tyres from the OE Apollo Accelere's (185/60 R15) to Michelin Primacy LC (195/60 R15). I got the tyres for about 4K each after buy-back on the Apollos at 2K each.

The LC's are a little larger than the OE tyres, so my ride is now a little softer than before, and the car also rides a little higher.

Performance in the dry has been excellent so far, and I have had to make one emergency stop (idiot on bicycle jumping the road even though they saw me coming), which the tyres handled with absolute ease.

Have not tried them in the wet yet, but I sure they will not disappoint.
Old 25th April 2012, 10:42   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo

Civic OEM is 195/65/R15, where as in Cruze it is 205/55/R16 and he is looking to upgrade to 225. Hence the big price difference. I bought 205/65/R15 for my Civic at 5400 apiece back in 2010. I have driven more than 15k kms on them and so far it has performed in an excellent manner on all types of roads including Kerala and Karnataka. They are not as weak as it may appear on bad roads.
I agree that the sizes are different and therefore prices would be higher. But I was astonished that he was quoted double what I paid. I was thinking that overall price would be about 30% higher or thereabouts. 13k for a tyre does make a full set a real expense.
Old 25th April 2012, 11:31   #244
BHPian

I had Goodyear tyres as OE and changed over to Primacy LC on changeover. I have noticed that both wet and dry grip has improved, road noise is also lesser plus ride quality has improved. All in all I am very pleased so far and touchwood will remain happy.
Old 25th April 2012, 20:09   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Primacy LCs are really good tires and are meant for high speed capable cars since they available from 15" upwards only. I find their performance to be excellent, be it grip, high speed stability, ride, noise etc.. I have done about 17000 kms on my Laura with these and estimate that they will last for about 25k kms more. On certain sudden braking circumstances I was simlpy amazed with the grip these tires had. They just don't squeal.

But these tires are not as rough road friendly as our MRFs and Ceats. You can't just thud through potholes carelessly. As I said they are pricey. You need to decide whether they are worth it .
Thanks for the info. Though I'm still very confused, I have to make a decision soon as I'm running with no spare tyre as one of the Vectras' sidewall was damaged badly and could not be repaired.

Quote:
That is obscene pricing. I paid about 24K for a set of four tires (Primacy LC) for my civic in December. Have tyre prices shot up in the last 4 months?
I think it is. I have to go around and check for better prices. Btw, what size is the PLCs you bought in December?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Michelin will replace the tyre ONLY if they are convinced that the abnormality..read bulge or something similar on the sidewall or elsewhere on the tyre is due to manufacturing defects. Michelin has a strict warranty policy and they don't budge.

Seriously..if you drive on potholed roads give Michelin, especially the PLCs, a miss. Try Bridgestone Turanzas or Apollo Accelere. I have heard good things about the Accelere. Forget MRF (no flames from MRF fans please!) as they are nowhere near Michelin, Continental or Bridgestone.

PS - Santoshbhat's experience http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2643406

Cheers!
Thanks boss. I will surely take a look at Bridgestone. I'm not too keen on Apollo. My VW Polo runs on Accelere. It's just okay. Nothing great about it. Conti CPC2 is the one in my mind as I have heard it's a good balance between comfortable ride, less noise and decent grip. Anyways, I will take a decision soon. Will keep you guys posted once I get new shoes for my Cruze.
Old 25th April 2012, 20:51   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzerman
I think it is. I have to go around and check for better prices. Btw, what size is the PLCs you bought in December?
I have the stock size for Civics, 195/65 R 15. I bought the tyres in Calicut.
Old 25th April 2012, 20:59   #247
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzerman View Post
Michelins are really expensive. One of the dealers here quoted 13K. Do you think it's a fair price? I guess I have to think twice before I buy as roads in Kerala are not in good shape.
Global tyres quoted around 11K for 225/55 R16 Michelin PLC in February. Bridgestone should be good for bad roads. why are opting for 225s? Stick to stock size or upgrade to 215/60 R16 which will give slightly more ground clearance. I thought Vectra's sidewall is hard. how did you manage to damage it? I lost one Acelere due to sidewall damage.

Last edited by anb : 25th April 2012 at 21:05.
Old 25th April 2012, 23:28   #248
BHPian

Quote:
I have the stock size for Civics, 195/65 R 15. I bought the tyres in Calicut.
Maybe the size difference is what makes such a huge price difference. But, 13k is absolutely ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Global tyres quoted around 11K for 225/55 R16 Michelin PLC in February. Bridgestone should be good for bad roads. why are opting for 225s? Stick to stock size or upgrade to 215/60 R16 which will give slightly more ground clearance. I thought Vectra's sidewall is hard. how did you manage to damage it? I lost one Acelere due to sidewall damage.
I got this quote of 13k from New Bharat Tyres. Global tyres' price seems to be reasonable. I'll check with them tomorrow.

I'm opting for 225 as I want to enhance the looks of my car with broader tyres. 215/60/16 might give speedo error. I guess the best upsize from the stock 205/60/16 is 225/55/16. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Vectra's sidewall is hard. The damaged one lasted for 15000 kms without a single problem. And that's when I parked the car on a road side with a big sharp stone directly under one of the Vectras. Result was a 1-2 inches long cut on the sidewall .
Old 26th April 2012, 00:11   #249
anb
BHPian

Quote:
I got this quote of 13k from New Bharat Tyres. Global tyres' price seems to be reasonable. I'll check with them tomorrow.

I'm opting for 225 as I want to enhance the looks of my car with broader tyres. 215/60/16 might give speedo error. I guess the best upsize from the stock 205/60/16 is 225/55/16. Correct me if I'm wrong.
215/60 does give slight speedo error, (but it is within the safe 3%) , gives better ride comfort , more GC and is slightly cheaper. Also checkout Tyrex http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...rex-kochi.html . They have some Hankook and Continental in stock. Read good reviews about "some" Hankook tyres in net. I don't know how good are they.
Old 26th April 2012, 16:39   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe the size difference is what makes such a huge price difference. But, 13k is absolutely ridiculous.

Vectra's sidewall is hard. The damaged one lasted for 15000 kms without a single problem. And that's when I parked the car on a road side with a big sharp stone directly under one of the Vectras. Result was a 1-2 inches long cut on the sidewall .
Avoid New Bharath tyres. Their customer treatment is too poor. Global tyres would be far better
Old 26th April 2012, 16:56   #251
BHPian

I'm running on PLC 195/60 15 on my Swift, and pretty happy with the ride quality and the lack of road noise. There is definite improvement over the 185/70 14 XM1+ I was running with earlier.

Reading through this thread now, I'm a little worried about tire damage. I am generally careful on bad roads but there are some potholes that just cannot be avoided. Can somebody here guide me as to how to inspect my tire for damage, or point me to a thread with the same.

Pics of damaged tires will also be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 26th April 2012, 17:00   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
215/60 does give slight speedo error, (but it is within the safe 3%) , gives better ride comfort , more GC and is slightly cheaper. Also checkout Tyrex http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...rex-kochi.html . They have some Hankook and Continental in stock. Read good reviews about "some" Hankook tyres in net. I don't know how good are they.
I checked with Tyrex. They don't have Conti in stock (I mean 225/55/16). Conti seems to be out of stock everywhere. Global tyres quoted 12k for Michelin PLC today. I tried to reduce it to about 11k, but they were not giving up. I think they will not sell it for anything less than 11800. I asked them the price they can offer for the old Vectras. After they talked with some local tyre shop guy, they offered me 1k for each tyre. Do you think 15000km run Vectras can fetch more than that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
Avoid New Bharath tyres. Their customer treatment is too poor. Global tyres would be far better
Yes, guys at Global tyres are quite friendly.
Old 26th April 2012, 17:12   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do you think 15000km run Vectras can fetch more than that?
Firstly, you should have changed the tyres immediately after taking delivery which I did and got 4K per tyre when its MRP was 4.5K as exchange price.

CPC2 for 205/60/R16 was at that time priced at Rs.8800 per tyre. But, since that dealer had a year old stock he gave me 5 tyres for Rs.12000 in exchange for my stock tyres instead of Rs.24000 which would have been the difference amount.

So, I just paid Rs.12000 for CPC2's. Essentially I got a sweet deal

When the tyre has run 15K kms, their value will be non-existent. Its like buying a mobile phone its expensive till its box-packed and the minute you remove it people will straight away offer 30-40% less price for it.

I recommend you use the tyres for another 10K-15K kms and then buy the new ones. I doubt if you will get more than 1K per tyre for JK from anywhere else.
Old 2nd May 2012, 21:41   #254
BHPian

It was time to change the shoes of SX4 after 26k kms in 5yrs!! The reason for change was one of the tires had been driven a few kms in an almost flat condition once earlier, which was moved as the spare. And now the front wheel was mysteriously losing pressure every few days. Since I return late night at times the fear of getting stranded on OMR or ECR in chennai was the main reason for the change.

Opted for the Primacy LC 225 / 55 /16 from Lal Tyre on whites road. Was quoted 12.1K per Tyre, and around 1.6 k for balancing, alignment and nitrogen. The ride was very good, but its the first 30 kms and too early to comment. Not sure if the cost is too high.

On Checking the old tyres, the front Tyre had a long thin cut inside, starting from the end of the wall towards the middle and approx 2" in length. Not sure how this was caused or if this was the mystery behind the loss of air pressure!
Old 4th May 2012, 20:58   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Have you driven them in the wet? If so, how do they fare?
I have driven my car at highways speeds of upto 100 kmph in pouring rain with pretty strong crosswinds without an issue i.e. car didn't get jumpy or skittish. Any faster is risky on Indian roads during a downpour.

Grip is not a problem with PLCs. I love these tyres. As long as you remember they are made of soft rubber and maintain them properly these are probably the best comfort oriented tyres you can buy.

Cheers!
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed