Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2011, 13:51   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Offroad Rims/Tyres Thread

Quote:
...Currently riding on the 7.5x16 JKs, and the vehicle is a bouncy castle. Multiple culprits though.
1. The rear leaf assembly seems to be slightly misaligned. This is easily corrected. How about putting some layers of Rubber between the leaves, and removing a leaf, while I am getting this done? Would this help absorb some of the bounce?
2. The Spare is actually mounted on the Rear Left, and the other three are absolutely Bald. The spare is in great condition, so I guess, that makes a substantial contribution to destabilizing the vehicle.
3. The Rims seem to need some Tender, Love and Care. Nothing major though.
But, the combination of the above, has led to such a bad ride, that I am afraid to consider the JK LT's. But, willing to be educated, if I am wrong in my inference....
I guess you need to take following inputs from the Gurkha owners:
1. Whether the ride quality in y'r Gurkha is way too worse than other Gurkhas. It will be improper to compare the same with a sedan/hatch which you might have got used to.
2. Any idea about the ride quality of a Gurkha with good suspension and JK LT in good condition (having substantial tread left)
3. What is the ideal tyre pressure (s) for the tyres for on-road and off-road driving and how much you are maintaining.

Few suggestions:
1. 1st Rectify the possible issues in the suspension set-up which you have already observed.
2. Make sure the wheels are properly balanced and aligned.
3. If any of the rim is in a distorted shape, repair/replace it.
4. Removing a leaf is a common idea but you need to check for the overall effect of the same.

Experts can throw some more lights on the same.
Old 6th September 2011, 14:51   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tyre for Trax Gurkha

^^^ When I said Bouncy Castle - I was comparing to the typical ride quality of a Bolero or Thar. I was not comparing with a Sedan at all.
Maybe Rahul can comment on general ride quality of a Gurkha vis-a-vis some of the other vehicles. However, from what he has already mentioned, it seems he feels confident enough cruising at 100+ kmph, whereas I am absolutely scared to even exceed 70 kmph.

By the way, the Rims are not Distorted or severely damaged. Just some minor issues that can be easily corrected (hopefully).
Old 11th September 2011, 21:46   #48
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tyre for Trax Gurkha

Guys, I took a degree of risk with the tires today. Many of you are going to beat me up for doing this, but I went with the price. :-(
I will post my continued experiences with these though. Should be of some help for folks on a budget.

Anyways, I picked up JK Elanzas 245/70/R16 for 5900 apiece. My theoretical calculations indicated that I should lose an Inch from my current set-up, in terms of Tyre Diameter, however my Visual Calculations proved otherwise. I can't make out much of a difference visually. Attaching photos for everyone's benefit. Apologies for the mobile camera.

But, nothing comes easy for the Gurkha, does it? The tires I chose are Tubeless, but I had to put in Tubes in them because the Valve Slot in the Rim is too large for a regular Valve used with the Tubeless Tyres. So, the Tubes stay until I am able to source over-sized valves. :-(

The ride back home, was a marked step up. The Steering had more feedback and the ride was very smooth. There were only 2 pax in the vehicle, so cannot attribute this to weight either. So, initial impression looks to be good. These also carry a 3 year warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
Tyre for Trax Gurkha-20110911-12.30.56.jpg  

Tyre for Trax Gurkha-20110911-12.31.12.jpg  

Tyre for Trax Gurkha-20110911-14.02.10.jpg  

Tyre for Trax Gurkha-20110911-14.02.21.jpg  

Old 12th September 2011, 07:24   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran
Anyways, I picked up JK Elanzas 245/70/R16 for 5900 apiece.
Apologies for the typo. These are 245/75r16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks