Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2009, 22:54   #1
BHPian

Innova One bolt broke while changing tyre

I was leaving for home from office around 9 pm went to level 2 parking in my office and saw frnt RHS tyre flat. Now its the time either to call someone driver or guard for help or DIY. So I selected second option DIY. Although for Innova its my first experience, fold my sleeves, take off watch, kept mobile on dash and started working on it. First took out spare wheel and then put a jack etc etc.
Everything looks good from my sweating face, but while screwing nuts, one out of five bolt came off with nut. I was like maaaan what's this. I haven't put much pressure so far on it, as I have to do final round on all 5 nuts. But it came off, anywas I made sure rest 4 our tight enough to take me at home.

So guys tell me this i expect from 12L car. Is this the kind of product Toyota is developing now. I am not sure whether this will come under warranty or not. Will see it tomorrow morning. As I have to go out on Highway day after (saturday). I can't take risk to drive on 4 bolts that too front one.
Any idea does it come under warranty ? If not what all parts I need to get replaced ?
Old 28th May 2009, 23:27   #2
BHPian

One more thing, do we get electrical or motor operated wrench which can operate in car somewhere. I guess I need one to save my time.
Old 28th May 2009, 23:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

If its just a broken bolt, should not cost you much even if its not covered warranty. On the first hand it should not have broken as these bolts are made to take immense pressure. but I think its one of case, and you should not worry much about.
Old 29th May 2009, 00:01   #4
BHPian

Sam. I don't think the nut would be covered under warranty.
However you can escalate this issue to Toyota. I am sure they are gonna assist you regarding the same.
A nut isn't going to cost you much at A.S.S. .
Old 29th May 2009, 00:05   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
Sam. I don't think the nut would be covered under warranty.
However you can escalate this issue to Toyota. I am sure they are gonna assist you regarding the same.
A nut isn't going to cost you much at A.S.S. .
Its not the nut, its a fix bolt on which we screw nuts. That got broke, it should come under warranty as its 3 month old baby so far.
Old 29th May 2009, 00:10   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
Its not the nut, its a fix bolt on which we screw nuts. That got broke, it should come under warranty as its 3 month old baby so far.
OOps sorry, that was a typo. It ain't going to cost you much. But as i said, you can escalate this matter to Toyota.
I had faced a similar issue witha a wheel hub bolt in my verna. Got it replaced from H.A.S.S. Alignment guy messed it up. Cost was around a 150 bucks.
Old 29th May 2009, 08:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh that will cost you alot, and should be covered under warranty as I guess wheel hub will require replacement
Old 29th May 2009, 08:51   #8
BANNED

These things do happen. You should be able to get the stud from any good spares shop at a fraction of the cost. The studs are pretty standard for all cars.

What can be far worse is the 'stud' breaking free when trying to undo the nut. Then you are really stuck. A real pain in the a$$.
Old 29th May 2009, 08:54   #9
Team-BHP Support

You will need a new wheel hub, and it should be covered under warranty hopefully
Old 29th May 2009, 09:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003:
do we get electrical or motor operated wrench which can operate in car somewhere.
Check for these at good tyre shops in your locality. While using such tools, please ensure that one tightens first 1 or 2 turns of nut using hand and then use motor/electrical operated wrench. Otherwise, wrongly positioned nut can damage threads on the bolt.

About broken bolt: As others have commented, wheel hub needs to be replaced. Not expected from a Toyota. I guess your Innova was from first few batches after face lift.
Old 29th May 2009, 12:02   #11
BHPian

Stud got replace

Went to Galaxy Toyota this morning and met with Sevice GM. After looking at it first word from him, seems like over torque has been applied. I said this I did it myself with no foot pressure just with arms. Anyways good part is he is ready to replace it under warranty. Took by video statement and ask his engineer to verify. He too came with same statement of extra torque. Man I didn't know I have super natural hidden power in my hands
. It was just one stud and nut which they have to replace and took 30 min in total to make me free.

Added some earlier pics. Moreover strange part was, puncher wala didn't find any puncher in it. Moreover I checked the airpressure after 1 hr still same. So my worry was did someone removed the air deliberately. But it was office parking.
Attached Thumbnails
Innova One bolt broke while changing tyre-stud.jpg  

Innova One bolt broke while changing tyre-wheel.jpg  

Old 29th May 2009, 12:06   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You will need a new wheel hub, and it should be covered under warranty hopefully
No need for a new wheel hub as a single bolt can be replaced.
Old 29th May 2009, 12:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
same statement of extra torque. Man I didn't know I have super natural hidden power in my hands
Sam statement of extra torque is technically correct but that does not mean you applied with your hands. It can happen if nut was not tight or if it was cross threaded so the bolt will experience lot of torque during motion and it just broke when you opened. And this implies defect introduced in factory when wheels were fitted.

In future always make sure that they tighten nuts properly while rotating wheels or changing tyres.
Old 29th May 2009, 13:29   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Sam statement of extra torque is technically correct but that does not mean you applied with your hands. It can happen if nut was not tight or if it was cross threaded so the bolt will experience lot of torque during motion and it just broke when you opened. And this implies defect introduced in factory when wheels were fitted.

In future always make sure that they tighten nuts properly while rotating wheels or changing tyres.
Good to hear that Toyota did it free of cost. It happened to me on my Civic last year. One bolt came off while rotating the tyres. We noticed that the Factory fitted bolt was on wrong thread and hence the bolt was damaged. However Honda replaced it in 30 mins and cost me Rs. 500 inclusive of labor.

Actually all the 5 bolts are fixed on the hub plate from behind. Cery simple to replace.
Old 29th May 2009, 15:27   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Believe me, it was not my fault and it was not first time ever experience for changing tyres. It broke when I was giving final touch, rest were ok and this start loosing grip and finally it came off.
This was the second time we were touching nuts, first time when I went for tyre upgrade and it was electrical wrench. Now when tyre was flat. It came off easily with no issues. And I generally do initially movement of nuts with my hand limits and then wrench comes into play. So no chance of wrong thread etc etc. Anyways lession for me too will me more cautious next time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks