Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2009, 19:06   #1
BHPian

DIY: Alloy Wheel Scratch Removal

I guess I didn’t say touchwood when I put these on, and I paid the price for it!! (I really don’t believe in stuff like these)LOL

DIY: Alloy Wheel Scratch Removal-dsc046261.jpg

Anyways, yesterday when taking a turn and talking with my wife and not paying adequate attention I scratched my rims (both front & back, I must be a terrible driver!!!) on the curbs!!!

DIY: Alloy Wheel Scratch Removal-dsc04637-copy.jpg

I stopped immediately and checked it out but the damage was done, I was mad, sad and totally pissed at myself ( I tried blaming my wife for talking to me but then that was not a good exit strategy from my guilt)Anyway sleepless (I usually have an afternoon nap) I went to the closest hardware store and got two different sanding papers 400 & 1200 wet sanding papers and got to work on it as soon as I got home.

The results were amazing I was feeling a lot better and now I drive a lot more careful! The finish is really good for now, but for the actual polished look I will have to make a run to the car accessories shop and get a metal polish (don’t remember the name but I used to have one some time back).

DIY: Alloy Wheel Scratch Removal-dsc04638-copy.jpg

If you guys get scuff marks on your rims this is a pretty good way to go, as in use just the sanding papers to get the really rough parts out from the chrome or polished alloys. If you have painted alloys you will need putty and paint, the process gets more complicated, I believe it is available online, just Google.

Hope this helps!

Note: The only step to follow is that make sure the area is clean and wet the sanding paper and rub on the damaged part ONLY!
Old 7th June 2009, 19:25   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Dr, now I Know what to do about my scratched wheel !

Pretty much the same situation. Less than 2 weeks into my new alloys, hit the kerb & scratched the front left wheel pretty bad. Will try this out - though mine's deep.

Thanks !
Old 7th June 2009, 20:44   #3
BHPian

I am not sure if this will work on deep scratches! If its a painted alloy I think you can sand it down and use putty and sand again and paint the affected area.
Old 7th June 2009, 21:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice.
Thanks for sharing.
Glad you are relieved of the sadness.

Drive Carefully
Old 7th June 2009, 21:36   #5
BHPian

A very nice tip. Got to try it. Had a similar experience as yours. The wheel scraped the kerb while taking a turn and the effect is visible on the alloy wheel.

By the way, those alloys look real drool!!!
Old 7th June 2009, 22:31   #6
BHPian

Try some chrome polish on top of that, u r set to go. Lovely work.
Old 8th June 2009, 13:22   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nice tip, will try. Related thread = Refinishing Alloy Wheels
Old 9th June 2009, 00:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
Try some chrome polish on top of that, u r set to go. Lovely work.
Can you let me know the name of the Chrome polish please. I have been looking for one from a long time now.
Old 8th December 2009, 12:14   #9
BHPian

Would this be effective on the stock alloys of the OHC Vtec. I can see that protective coating peeling off from my alloys! There are no deep gashes as such.

Please help. I want to restore the original shine!

Cheers
Shrey
Old 24th April 2020, 08:44   #10
BHPian

Re: DIY: Alloy Wheel Scratch Removal

Dear all, can this damage be sand papered as well? Please advise. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Alloy Wheel Scratch Removal-img_20200423_204759.jpg  

Old 21st December 2021, 11:53   #11
BHPian

Re: DIY: Alloy Wheel Scratch Removal

In my case, my Alto K10 AGS is more of a show-piece doing occasional errands than any regular driving. In five years of its existence with me, it logged less than 6,000 kilometres. It mostly remains parked in the closed parking space. When driven, it is usually the 13 kilometre stretch on the National Highway between my home and the office, where there are no pot holes or stones that could scratch or chip the alloy-wheels. The alloys themselves are HRS ones purchased from a reputed vendor in Delhi.

But over the time, I find these alloy wheels showing 'scratch-like' marks and 'circular swirls' without actually being scratched (I don't remember a single occasion when I had driven the car in that manner). The chrome paint on the spokes has come off at these locations, exposing the white base paint. Even at the centre of the alloy wheel, there are 'scratch like' circular marks. Considering that the centre of the alloy wheel is slightly depressed, there is no possibility of anything 'scratching' this area. Such marks are there on all the four wheels. There was never a puncture when any of these alloy wheels was taken out and handled roughly by a local puncture-wallah. I also don't think anyone would have deliberately scratched the alloys because it is easy to stand-up and scratch the body than bend-down and scratch the alloys.

Could they have been caused due to scrubbing of the wheels during car-wash?

I tried rubbing compound on these scratch marks, and it does not have any effect.

I am puzzled as to why these marks are appearing. Did anyone else have this experience with their alloys?

Last edited by kspv : 21st December 2021 at 12:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks