Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2009, 21:31   #16
BHPian

[quote=lancer_rit;1417377]Well Sai Iyengar explicitly told me that these wheel nuts are made in India, and mostly alloy shops are sourcing locally.

Not too sure if the nuts come along with the wheels. I was actually give an option of using the lug nuts or the retain my old OEM nuts when I got my set of alloys.

Its been six months now and I do see a lot of rust. Infact the rust appeared one month after i got the wheels. initially just did a surface cleaning and sprayed some WD40, wheels were rust free for a month.

A few months back I was at a Meguires demo where they showed me a metal wax that gets rid of the rust and provides a protective coating. This is not available in India as of now. Anybody know of alternatives?

Parik
Old 18th August 2009, 13:23   #17
BHPian

I had the same kind of wheel nuts which started rusting and later cracked.
Read about it here. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ng-nuts-3.html

-- Torqy
Old 20th August 2009, 19:27   #18
BHPian

[quote=parik_ind;1422651]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
sprayed some WD40, wheels were rust free for a month.

Parik
Can anyone guide me to a shop that sells WD40 in Gurgaon? I tried finding out from a couple of hardware shops, but they had not heard of it.

TIA.
Old 20th August 2009, 19:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

[quote=simran;1442083]
Quote:
Originally Posted by parik_ind View Post

Can anyone guide me to a shop that sells WD40 in Gurgaon? I tried finding out from a couple of hardware shops, but they had not heard of it.

TIA.
Pidilite make a desi version of WD40 - Zorrik 88.

Its not as good as the real thing, but does a decent job...

Pidilite
Old 21st August 2009, 17:26   #20
BHPian

I had been to MASS yesterday to fix up the rusted lug nuts issue and they promptly replaced those poor quality allen key type lug nuts with the OE wheel nuts. As described by lancer_rit in his post, I got to purchase a couple of tools to use the OE nuts in aftermarket imported alloys:

1. 19 mm adapter
2. T rod

Finally, I am relieved!!!
Old 21st August 2009, 17:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

@ece2k2, that's good that you replaced the rusted nuts.

After several experiences on the forum, I strongly recommend that one does not swap out the OEM wheel nuts for aftermarket ones.
lancer_rit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2009, 12:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

I've sprayed Wurth anti-rust over the rusted nuts. Lets see how they perform.
Old 25th August 2009, 12:48   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simran View Post

TIA.
Hi, why dont you try sourcing it online. Saw it on sale on rediff shopping (WD40 Spray Lubricant gifts in india at rediff shopping.) also saw someone selling it on Ebay.in.

Not too sure of the price in shops though, but i plan to pick up a can today so will let you know.

Parik
Old 28th August 2009, 17:18   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parik_ind View Post
Hi, why dont you try sourcing it online. Saw it on sale on rediff shopping (WD40 Spray Lubricant gifts in india at rediff shopping.) also saw someone selling it on Ebay.in.

Not too sure of the price in shops though, but i plan to pick up a can today so will let you know.

Parik
Looked around and did not find WD40 anywhere, hardware stores offered me red oxide (what the hell am i supposed to do with that) and a couple of car accessories stores tried to sell me wheel maintenance sprays, most did not know what I was asking for. Am going to tryout some places on JC Road (Blore) if not rediff shopping will have a new customer.

Parik
Old 1st September 2009, 20:51   #25
BHPian

Hi fellas..the Bimal service guy called me today to tell me that the front right nuts are so rusted that he cannot remove them without damaging the alloy wheel and I nearly fell off my bed.
These are Lensos with the kind of nuts that require an adapter to be able to screw them out. I had noticed the serious rusting when I changed out a tyre a few weeks back.
I haven't had a chance to go to the service station yet. Could someone please tell me what is the best way to remove these nuts if they are stuck. Bimal is unable to service my front brake calipers because of this situation. I don't want to damage the alloy wheel. If the nuts do come off with some suggested method, is it a good idea to go with the OEM nuts and use the special tool illustrated in the post above? Pls advise, I need to go to Bimal tomorrow morning.
Old 1st September 2009, 21:23   #26
Senior - BHPian

oh boy, that's exactly the issue ece2k2 faced. I have heard that one option is to weld a bit into the allen key nut hole, and then wrench it out - don't know if you can avoid wheel damage at the holes though (depends on how large the holes are etc).
Otherwise, you need to cut the nuts with a torch ??

PM ece2k2 since he already faced this situation ...
Old 2nd September 2009, 12:11   #27
BHPian

Went to Bimal in the morning. My alloy wheel nut is rotating along with the stud that assembles to the hub. He has tried to use this all in one solution from 3M in an effort to dissolve the rust but it hasn't worked.
What the service guy is saying is that he will have to remove the entire hub and rotor assembly from the axle and hammer all the parts lose (thus damaging the bearing assembly and possibly the hub). This will allow him to reach the stud from the bearing end and probably cut the head off (at the moment the stud is slipping inside the hub). This will allow him to then remove the nut and broken portion of the stud together. This is what I understood from him anyway.
Damages: Changed bearing assembly and maybe a changed hub.

For the moment I have asked him to hold off. I plan to get a second opinion from a tyre shop in whitefield where I was planning to do a head for a balancing and allignment.

Please advise guys, thanks
Old 2nd September 2009, 12:57   #28
BHPian

To give an illustration of sorts. I don't know what the swift assembly looks like though I can't imagine it to be much different.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp hub rotor assembly2.bmp (742.6 KB, 397 views)
Old 2nd September 2009, 13:59   #29
BHPian

When my wheel nut cracked, the mechanic carefully cut open the nut with a hammer and a bit. Alloy wheel damage was minimal.
Old 2nd September 2009, 17:25   #30
BHPian

Hi MC,

Checked around and the answer seems to be the elusive WD40 or any other anti rust spray. Another option is to pour some soda or pepsi wait for a couple of mins and then try, its mild on the stud but should dissolve some of the rust - this i know works on mild rust, had to use it on my old suzuki AX100 when the front wheel nut got jammed.

Do keep us posted on the progress.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks