Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2013, 18:18   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti Suzuki Ritz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Thank you. I think ER 60 is the way to go. I dont think I will be taking a chance with the AR20. However it will take 2 more weeks for the ER60 to arrive at my tyre dealer. I will wait in the mean time and see if any reviews for the ER60 comes in the mean time.

AR10 is ready and available in stock.

Why not Apollo Acelere's? Better than ER60 for approx the same size. ER60 is pretty old and outdated model
Old 25th August 2013, 18:35   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

Why not Apollo Acelere's? Better than ER60 for approx the same size. ER60 is pretty old and outdated model
I have had Apollo acellere's in my earlier car, wet grip was iffy according to me.
Old 25th August 2013, 19:34   #243
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
I have had Apollo acellere's in my earlier car, wet grip was iffy according to me.
You still haven't changed the tyres in your car still? If you delay I guess you'll have those tyres bald.

Best is go for the Michelin's XM2's.

Anurag.
Old 25th August 2013, 23:15   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

You still haven't changed the tyres in your car still? If you delay I guess you'll have those tyres bald.

Best is go for the Michelin's XM2's.

Anurag.
Well they still have lots is tread. It is that they are out of shape. If not I would have atleast used it for another 10k more. Besides in about two weeks time, almost of the roads in Kerala would have a new coat of tar and metal. I'm pretty certain that it is these horrible roads that has created havoc on these tires. It was fine just before.the rains and it is only once the road started deteriorating that the tires started to take a beating. This is also the reason for not going for michellins. They simply cannot stand up to the beating that these tires have to face every rainy season. Few cycles of summer heat rains and mild summer and the tires are hard as a rock as it is now in my car. Same is the reason with acellere's, their wet grip was.never.satisfactory for me and they are noisy according to me. Had Bridgestone in my old car and frankly, I liked it. Hence decided to go for ER60.
Old 2nd September 2013, 07:34   #245

I have upsized the tyres to Yokohama ES100 195/60/R15 and have driven about 45,000KM and below is my take on it. Look and feel of the car have improved way better after this upsize; especially luks more muscular and goes well with the tiny muscles the manufacturer has introduced on the wheel column. Road presence is amazing and car feels pretty solid even at a speed of 140KM/hr. On to the flip side - lots of vibrations on patchy roads and any effects on the potholes is simply doubled - guess that's coz the air volume (tyre profile) has reduced to 60 from 80 after this upgrade. Steering wheel, clutch and the gear feels heavy and close to 2KM drop in mileage are the after effects. The current tyres have given up almost and am seriously considering to have 185/65/R15 instead of 195.
Old 2nd September 2013, 16:31   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronlol View Post
am seriously considering to have 185/65/R15 instead of 195.
But what all options we have for 185/65/15 .And after using 195, if you move to 185, the handling of the car will surely change.
If you drive mostly on highways, i will suggest stick to 195. Also yours is a diesel or petrol ?

cheers
Old 2nd September 2013, 17:19   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
But what all options we have for 185/65/15
Not sure about other brands but the ones which i have come across are:
MRF (OEM in Ertiga)
Hankook Optimo
Goodyear Assurance, Integrity
Nankang Toursport
Falken Ziex
Pirelli P4.
I have a feeling that some of these maybe imported, outdated or their production stopped but i'm not entirely sure.
Old 2nd September 2013, 17:32   #248
BHPian

Quote:
The current tyres have given up almost and am seriously considering to have 185/65/R15 instead of 195.
I guess that'd be a wrong size to go with, my friend! If you're switching to 185 profile then 185/70 R14 would be the correct/ideal size for the Ritz. Thumb rule being not to deviate more than 2% in the overall diameter from the manufacturer provided specs. You might want to check out Continental in that size - sorry I forgot the name but I've been told that it is quite good wrt road noise, grip (dry/wet) and compound.

Check out this link for options:
http://www.changemytyre.com/Tyres/Ca...ID=1&CityID=45

Last edited by avinash_m : 2nd September 2013 at 17:38. Reason: Adding URL for more info
Old 2nd September 2013, 23:37   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
I guess that'd be a wrong size to go with, my friend! If you're switching to 185 profile then 185/70 R14 would be the correct/ideal size for the Ritz.
185/65/R15 is what it comes factory fitted in Switch/Ritz ZDI/ZXI. That's very much within limits. What you said is valid for R14, but this holds good for the 15"!

Quote:
But what all options we have for 185/65/15 .And after using 195, if you move to 185, the handling of the car will surely change.
If you drive mostly on highways, i will suggest stick to 195. Also yours is a diesel or petrol ?

cheers
195 takes a toll on the overall car suspension; which is what i have seen over last 1 year and there is a way lot of improvement when i drove the one having 185; again its a tie b/w comfort and stability.

Last edited by bblost : 2nd September 2013 at 23:43.
arronlol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 08:45   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Steering wheel, clutch and the gear feels heavy and close to 2KM drop in mileage are the after effects.
Why does gear become heavy due to upsize? Can anyone explain?
Old 3rd September 2013, 10:29   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
Can't think of any reason. The steering could become a tad heavier due to the larger footprint of the tyre, but why should that affect the gearbox?
Old 3rd September 2013, 11:06   #252
BHPian

Quote:
185/65/R15 is what it comes factory fitted in Switch/Ritz ZDI/ZXI. That's very much within limits. What you said is valid for R14, but this holds good for the 15"!
Slight correction - My comment was specific to Ritz only.
All models of Ritz are still on 14 inch rims; L/V(xi/di) models come with 165/80 tyres on steel rims and Z(xi,di) models come with 185/70 tyres on alloys. Also, the steel rim can easily accomodate the 185/70 tyre as well if changing to alloys is not in scope.

The new Swift however has a 14 inch rim (steel) with 165/80 tyres for L/V (xi/di) models and a 15 inch rim (alloy) shod with 185/65 tyres for the Z (xi/di) models. The old model (Swift) and Ritz had the same tyre/rim sizes.
Old 7th September 2013, 12:53   #253

Quote:
Regarding comfort , i found if you maintain the air pressure properly then you should not have any issues.
@Schoudhury, whats the air pressure that you have on your car ? I would know the recommended pressure for 195/60/R15 (Ritz)
Old 8th September 2013, 06:48   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

@Schoudhury, whats the air pressure that you have on your car ? I would know the recommended pressure for 195/60/R15 (Ritz)
When I switched to 195/60/15 I used to maintain 32 on the front and 30 for the rear tyres ,
the ride was perfectly fine . From last couple of months I have switched to slightly different psi , now I maintain 31 in the front and 33 for rear tyres, as I drive mostly alone .
But 32 or 31 in the front and 30 for the rear should be perfect if you upsize to 15".

Cheers
Old 8th September 2013, 12:22   #255
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalluDude View Post
Can't think of any reason. The steering could become a tad heavier due to the larger footprint of the tyre, but why should that affect the gearbox?
The tyre width has increased so the grip levels are high, causing the steering to do lot of work.

This in turn would affect the rolling friction and efficiency, Right?! The more the resistance higher is the affect of this on the engine and transmission. More power is required for the vehicle to move around thus load on the gear box too.

This is what I feel could be the reason.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks