Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2013, 12:16   #256

re: Maruti Suzuki Ritz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
now I maintain 31 in the front and 33 for rear tyres, as I drive mostly alone
Due to engine and other heavy components towards front, i thought having a higher PSI on front tyres and lower one on rear makes more sense ?
Any reason why you maintain this way on your car ?
Old 20th September 2013, 12:23   #257

Just a follow up on this thread, i have changed my tyres from Yoko ES100 [195/60/R15] to vanilla A-drive's [ 195/60/R15]. Guys i am pretty happy with this change and straight away i can see the driving comfort have increased and the streering has become might lighter.I just finished a 2000KM drive on highway and the car is might silent compared to prior sporty tyres.

I have evaluated ZLO from MRF and Yoko C drives as well. ZLO is a asymmetric tyre and have a harder compound than A drive/ C drive, so much silent and smoother that way. Driven it myself with these tyres(thanks to my friends) and got a feel formyself.

C drives have lot of complaint since the side walls are delicate. Since i drive on ghat sections, there is a bigger chance that i might get a cut on the side walls and hence finalized on A drive. Over all i can say, its a good value for money and quite impressed with the performance so far.

Will update the post sometime soon with the pictures of the car

Last edited by noopster : 20th September 2013 at 14:17. Reason: Typo corrected- highlighted in bold in post
Old 20th September 2013, 13:00   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronlol View Post
Just a follow up on this thread, i have changed my tyres from Yoko ES100 [195/60/R15] to vanilla A-drive's [ 195/65/R15]. Guys i am pretty happy with this change and straight away i can see the driving comfort have increased and the streering has become might lighter.I just finished a 2000KM drive on highway and the car is might silent compared to prior sporty tyres.

I have evaluated ZLO from MRF and Yoko C drives as well. ZLO is a asymmetric tyre and have a harder compound than A drive/ C drive, so much silent and smoother that way. Driven it myself with these tyres(thanks to my friends) and got a feel formyself.

C drives have lot of complaint since the side walls are delicate. Since i drive on ghat sections, there is a bigger chance that i might get a cut on the side walls and hence finalized on A drive. Over all i can say, its a good value for money and quite impressed with the performance so far.

Will update the post sometime soon with the pictures of the car
195/65/15 is 61 mm bigger (3.17%) than the 195/60/15. And is more than the 2% recommended. However since you are using this size please tell us if the tyre scrapes the wheel well when loaded or full turns.

Last edited by goandude : 20th September 2013 at 13:28.
Old 20th September 2013, 21:02   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronlol View Post
Due to engine and other heavy components towards front, i thought having a higher PSI on front tyres and lower one on rear makes more sense ? Any reason why you maintain this way on your car ?
Oh yes, 32/30 is the advisable psi on 195/60/15.
But with the kind of road we have here in blore, full of potholes , 32 gives a thump when you go over it . So I reduced it to 31 and as I am mostly alone in the car I keep the psi on the rear tyre on the higher side which helps to reduce the resistance from the rear tyre and in return helps while accelerating .

Cheers
Old 3rd October 2013, 14:16   #260
BHPian

Guys,

My 2010 Ritz petrol has completed almost 41k kms and the tyres still have tread left on them.
But even after filling the recommended 33 psi in the front tyres the tyres bulge out in excess as compared to the rear tyres. I've not seen this on my swift dzire which is 4 months old.
Is this happening because the tyre sidewalls have got weak and I need to change them ASAP? Or is it because of the engine weight at the front, but then why do the dzire's tyres look normal?
I've had quite a few punctures on the front tyres and I drive on the highway almost everyday.

Please advice.

Last edited by Siddy : 3rd October 2013 at 14:17.
Old 3rd October 2013, 22:03   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
Guys,

But even after filling the recommended 33 psi in the front tyres the tyres bulge out in excess as compared to the rear tyres. I've not seen this on my swift dzire which is 4 months old.
Is this happening because the tyre sidewalls have got weak and I need to change them ASAP? Or is it because of the engine weight at the front, but then why do the dzire's tyres look normal?

Please advice.
Are you running JK's 165 and if the bulge is uneven or cracks appear on the side wall then rush to your nearest tyre shop for a change.

The bulge has nothing to do with engine weight but if your tube has more than 2-3 punctures then change the tube.
Old 4th October 2013, 13:31   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e4gleeyez View Post
Are you running JK's 165 and if the bulge is uneven or cracks appear on the side wall then rush to your nearest tyre shop for a change.

The bulge has nothing to do with engine weight but if your tube has more than 2-3 punctures then change the tube.
I guess the bulge is due to the car's weight and is not uneven and no cracks too. The car is shod with tubeless tyres and so no question of a tube replacement.

I am pretty sure the side walls have become weak. Thinking of changing the tyres soon
Old 4th October 2013, 13:53   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

My 2010 Ritz petrol has completed almost 41k kms and the tyres still have tread left on them.
I've had quite a few punctures on the front tyres and I drive on the highway almost everyday.

Please advice.
If tires have tread, it is safe to use for a more duration. JKs are hard rubber and last for a long duration. There is no need to rush for a change. 41k kms is a good enough run to warrant a change. Please consider the different tire options and read up on the pros and cons.

PS: I wanted a stronger sidewall, so went in for the ER60 instead of the XM1's. Read here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2918972
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 14:21   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
I wanted a stronger sidewall, so went in for the ER60 instead of the XM1's.
Thanks a lot for the info.

Just one question regarding the ER60. As mentioned in the thread does the additional weight make a lot of difference on the handling of the car? Noise is not a big concern, but handling definitely is.

Please advice.
Old 4th October 2013, 14:36   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the info.

Just one question regarding the ER60. As mentioned in the thread does the additional weight make a lot of difference on the handling of the car? Noise is not a big concern, but handling definitely is.

Please advice.
Steering does weigh up, but it does weigh up nicely, a little more hydraulic like. Nothing alarming, you will only notice it for the first few times after the upgrade, after that you do not.
For me, the handling improved, I can go into corners much faster.
The braking distance is shorter.
Wet grip is much much better and confidence inspiring.
The road noise is quieter than the JKs.

Remember, my views are when i upgraded from JK 165/80R14 to ER60 185/70R14. The 185/70R14 is the default size on the Z variant and the max upsize that the the stock rims can take. This also means that it is a "safe" upgrade option. If you need to go wider than 185mm, then you would need to upgrade the rims as well.

Last edited by govigov : 4th October 2013 at 14:39.
govigov is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 14:42   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Steering does weigh up, but it does weigh up nicely, a little more hydraulic like. Nothing alarming, you will only notice it for the first few times after the upgrade, after that you do not.
For me, the handling improved, I can go into corners much faster.
The braking distance is shorter.
Wet grip is much much better and confidence inspiring.
The road noise is quieter than the JKs.

Remember, my views are when i upgraded from JK 165/80R14 to ER60 185/70R14. Remember, the 185/70R14 is the default size on the Z variant and the max upsize that the the stock rims can take. If you need to go wider than 185mm, then you would need to upgrade the rims as well.
Nice to hear that the steering feel is more hydraulic like I will definitely consider the ER60. Mine being the mid Vxi variant does not have alloys and I intend to continue on the rims. I went through many threads that confirm the 185/70 would fit on the stock rims without a problem. Can you please share your thoughts on the same? Any safety concern?
Old 4th October 2013, 15:18   #267
Senior - BHPian

185mm would go on stock rims and is safe too. Anything wider would require you to upsize the rims. I am running 185mm tread on stock rims, have not faced any issues till now. I was in a predicament between the XM1+ and ER60, with all the bad roads in KL, ER 60 was my choice. XM1+ is also highly regarded and recommended. You would have to play with tire pressures after upgrade, as it is lower than while running on 165mm tread. I am not sure of petrol ritz's recommended settings. If you can get the recommended settings from a Zxi user, it would be good.
Old 4th October 2013, 15:32   #268
BHPian

Quote:
You would have to play with tire pressures after upgrade, as it is lower than while running on 165mm tread. I am not sure of petrol ritz's recommended settings. If you can get the recommended settings from a Zxi user, it would be good.
Thanks for the info govigov.
Considering that I take the highway almost everyday the choice between XM1+ & ER60 is very close.
The Petrol Z variant's recommended tyre pressures are 30 psi for the front and rear. So I guess I will go for the same with 185/70 rubber.
Siddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 00:54   #269
BHPian

Hello,

I will be getting my new Ritz VXI delivered in 2 weeks time and am planning to upgrade the tyre.
The main objective is to improve the ride comfort. Also the tyre should be able to take in a bit of harsh roads (occasional untarred roads etc)

I have shortlisted the below
185/70/R14
* Michelin XM2
* Yoko A drive
* Bridgestone Turanza ER60

Which one would you recommend for my requirements.
@Nikhil: your inputs would be very helpful.

I am slightly skeptic about the sidewall strength of Michelin.
Old 5th October 2013, 05:48   #270
Senior - BHPian

@Siddy, do let us know what tire you have decided to pick up and the rate that you are getting. All the best!

Most Viewed