Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2013, 15:11   #271
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti Suzuki Ritz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by automobilophile View Post
Hello,

I will be getting my new Ritz VXI delivered in 2 weeks time and am planning to upgrade the tyre.
The main objective is to improve the ride comfort. Also the tyre should be able to take in a bit of harsh roads (occasional untarred roads etc)

I have shortlisted the below
185/70/R14
* Michelin XM2
* Yoko A drive
* Bridgestone Turanza ER60

Which one would you recommend for my requirements.
@Nikhil: your inputs would be very helpful.

I am slightly skeptic about the sidewall strength of Michelin.
I have now stopped recommending the ER60 because it is on it's way out. Getting a replacement tyre will be difficult. It is being replaced with the AR20.

I would still say the XM2 is strong enough for most of our roads. It is much stronger than the old XM1+ which itself was quite durable.

A drive is also a good pattern and extremely good VFM.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 11:22   #272
BHPian

Hello team,

I am planning to change my tyres soon but not too soon. My Ritz has run around 41K kms and the tread depth is pretty good. But yesterday when I was casually checking my front tyres I saw a few deep cuts on and around the treads, not the sides or the shoulder. I am sure they must have happened because of bad roads, sharp stones or potholes.

The cuts were a little shy of half inch in depth and may be a centimetre in length at multiple places and irregular in shape. Also, there were a few places on the tread edges where a little part of the rubber was missing due to wear. I take the highway to work everyday and I am a pretty sedate driver.

Do you guys think this is something alarming? Have my tyres aged? Should I change my tyres ASAP? or may be wait for some more time because the tyre tread depth looks pretty good.
Old 8th October 2013, 14:41   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
The Petrol Z variant's recommended tyre pressures are 30 psi for the front and rear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
I am not sure of petrol ritz's recommended settings. If you can get the recommended settings from a Zxi user, it would be good.
Correction here, the recommended tyre pressure for the petrol Z variant is 29 psi.
Old 8th October 2013, 14:58   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I would still say the XM2 is strong enough for most of our roads. It is much stronger than the old XM1+ which itself was quite durable.
Hi Nikhil

I'm currently running on XM2 after doing 120k kms on A drives, so far in 5k kms they seem to be pretty robust.

BTW, any idea about the AR20 launch in India ?
Old 11th October 2013, 13:44   #275
BHPian

Quote:
I have now stopped recommending the ER60 because it is on it's way out. Getting a replacement tyre will be difficult. It is being replaced with the AR20.

A drive is also a good pattern and extremely good VFM.
Thanks Nikhil.
I am getting my car delivered tomorrow and am planning to visit your langford road office.
My car is expected to be shod with Apollo Amazer XL from factory. (165/80/R14)

I have decided to go with Michelin Xm2 (185/70/R14)

Could you please let me know how much would this exchange cost me for 4 tyres?
Old 12th October 2013, 17:00   #276
BHPian

Hi All,
I am upgrading my tyre in my 2009 Ritz Vdi to 185 on my stock rims. With 165 the pressure recommended was 36 psi - front / 33 psi - back. I find Zdi's recommended pressure to be 32 / 29 psi with alloys. Will it be the same for 185 with steel rims as well?
Old 13th October 2013, 21:19   #277
BHPian

I have upgraded to AR20 (185/70 R14) yesterday on stock rims

Having driven on stock JK for 50k Kms I am seeing a marked difference in ride. Just back from a 60 Km drive and here is my initial impression:
-Minimal tyre noise. I see a marked difference.
-Ride is very smooth. Rough patches do not bother me as it used to.
-Braking has improved considerably.
-I don't feel the nervousness I used to have when nearing 3 digit speeds. Car seems to be composed.
-I didn't feel any perceivable increase steering weight. I drove on highway predominantly. I am not sure if it will show up on bumper to bumper traffic.

An unexpected side effect- The car needs more effort if I am starting on a steep incline. I need to rev harder than earlier to start moving- have to get used to this.

Overall very happy with the upgrade. Let's see how things pan out as the tyre ages.

Last edited by pacman2881 : 13th October 2013 at 21:21.
pacman2881 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2013, 21:50   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by automobilophile View Post
Thanks Nikhil.
I am getting my car delivered tomorrow and am planning to visit your langford road office.
My car is expected to be shod with Apollo Amazer XL from factory. (165/80/R14)

I have decided to go with Michelin Xm2 (185/70/R14)

Could you please let me know how much would this exchange cost me for 4 tyres?

I finally changed my Apollo Amazer XL (165/80/R14) to Michelin Xm2 (185/70/R14) at Madhu's Langford road branch.

They quoted 5000 per Michelin tyre and offered 2200 per Apollo tyre buy back.
And 400 rs for wheel balancing with road force. (This was good)

Is this a good price? The price sounded slightly on the higher side for me. I had enquired at some other Michelin dealers too and they quoted 4750 and 4800 per tyre.
Old 15th October 2013, 19:43   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
Hi All,
I am upgrading my tyre in my 2009 Ritz Vdi to 185 on my stock rims. With 165 the pressure recommended was 36 psi - front / 33 psi - back. I find Zdi's recommended pressure to be 32 / 29 psi with alloys. Will it be the same for 185 with steel rims as well?
This might be a stupid question but I am really not sure if rims can determine tyre pressure. Can someone answer
Old 15th October 2013, 23:09   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Hi Nikhil

I'm currently running on XM2 after doing 120k kms on A drives, so far in 5k kms they seem to be pretty robust.

BTW, any idea about the AR20 launch in India ?
AR20 has been getting postponed for no apparent reason in 185/70-14. I've been following up with the company personally for a month now. I ended up converting most of these customers to Yoko or Michelin simply due to lack of availability!
Old 16th October 2013, 00:25   #281
BHPian

Quote:
AR20 has been getting postponed for no apparent reason in 185/70-14. I've been following up with the company personally for a month now. I ended up converting most of these customers to Yoko or Michelin simply due to lack of availability!
Sure about this? I replaced all my tyres with AR20 185/70 R14 on Saturday from MSM chennai (MASS)
Tyre manufactured date - 36th week 2013

Will upload clear pictures little later. This is what I have for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Ritz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-dsc00016_.jpg  

Old 16th October 2013, 02:12   #282
Senior - BHPian

I was also not able to source AR-20 roughly about 3 weeks back. I searched for it and even waited, finally the BridgeStone dealer gave up and said he only has AR10 and he himself suggested not to go for it, as it is mostly for the taxi crowd.
Old 16th October 2013, 09:28   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
I was also not able to source AR-20 roughly about 3 weeks back. I searched for it and even waited, finally the BridgeStone dealer gave up and said he only has AR10 and he himself suggested not to go for it, as it is mostly for the taxi crowd.
Please don't tell me I bought something made for taxi crowd! Scary

I am not an expert but I find the tyres to be really good (kind of soft than original tyres) to be bought by taxi crowd. I am told that AR20 to be replacement for ER60 & dubbed as the successor to AR10 in the South East Asian markets and that is why I went for it. (I've been to SE Asia recently)

Besides, why would Bridgestone target taxi segment with wider tyres from Turanza series?

Last edited by pacman2881 : 16th October 2013 at 09:33.
Old 16th October 2013, 10:58   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Please don't tell me I bought something made for taxi crowd! Scary

I am not an expert but I find the tyres to be really good (kind of soft than original tyres) to be bought by taxi crowd. I am told that AR20 to be replacement for ER60 & dubbed as the successor to AR10 in the South East Asian markets and that is why I went for it. (I've been to SE Asia recently)

Besides, why would Bridgestone target taxi segment with wider tyres from Turanza series?
Ar10 is made for taxi crowd according to him. He had high praises for Ar 20.
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 13:04   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sure about this? I replaced all my tyres with AR20 185/70 R14 on Saturday from MSM chennai (MASS)
Tyre manufactured date - 36th week 2013

Will upload clear pictures little later. This is what I have for now.
Lucky you! Even today Bridgestone sent only 3 tyres to us!! Saying they dont have tyres!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks