Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2017, 12:42   #376
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Ritz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hi All,

Finally, it's time to get a new set of tires for my 7-year-old Ritz Zxi.
The car was delivered with 185/70 R14 JK Vectras from the factory.
Although high on noise post 30,000 km's, the tires proved to be very reliable receiving only 2 punctures in the 7-year long ownership. Lately, they are starting to develop minute cracks due to aging.
The car has done only 45,000kms in 7 years.

I am going in for 195/70 R14 on the stock 5.5J alloys up from the 185/70 R14 in the hope of improving the ride quality to some extent.
I am sure that there are a lot of users having 195 section tires on Ritz with 50-65% profile, but am yet to come across someone who has 195/70.
I have rounded on the Yokohama Earth1 for the change.
If there are any users having this combination on their Ritz, please share their views on this. I am specifically wondering whether there are any tire fouling issues reported.

I foresee a problem in placing the tyre in the spare wheel well in case of a puncture as I have noticed that the inflated 185/70 R14 tyre is a perfect fit in the wheel well with little margin. I will be retaining one of the current 5 tyres as the spare and assume that the deflated 195/70 R14 will fit in, in the event of a puncture till the time we are able to fix the puncture.
Old 13th April 2017, 10:34   #377
BANNED

After going through all the posts here most of the members have recommended below mentioned tyres.
1. Michelin Xm2+
2. Bridgetsone Turanza
3. Yokohama Earth
4. Apollo Amazer 3 g Maxx

Any idea what is the expected cost of these in Delhi for Ritz ZXI.
Old 13th April 2017, 12:01   #378
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by del.guy22 View Post
Any idea what is the expected cost of these in Delhi for Ritz ZXI.
Here are the approximate prices :

1. Michelin XM2+ = Rs 5300
2. Bridgetsone Turanza AR 20 = Rs 4900
3. Yokohama Earth 1 = - - -
4. Apollo Amazer 3G Maxx = Rs 4300

SOURCE: Changemytyre website.
Old 13th April 2017, 13:07   #379
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Here are the approximate prices :

1. Michelin XM2+ = Rs 5300
2. Bridgetsone Turanza AR 20 = Rs 4900
3. Yokohama Earth 1 = - - -
4. Apollo Amazer 3G Maxx = Rs 4300

SOURCE: Changemytyre website.
Thanks ! I had checked their website and felt the rates to be on a higher side.

Appreciate your help though.
Old 17th April 2017, 12:57   #380
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I have now stopped recommending the ER60 because it is on it's way out. Getting a replacement tyre will be difficult. It is being replaced with the AR20.

I would still say the XM2 is strong enough for most of our roads. It is much stronger than the old XM1+ which itself was quite durable.

A drive is also a good pattern and extremely good VFM.
Hi Nikhil, which of these will you recommend.

1. Yokohama Earth 1 price in Delhi Rs. 4100
2. Michelin Xm2 Price in Delhi Rs. 4700 to 4800
3. MRF ZLO Price Rs. 3580.
4. Any other recommendation considering that it will be 90% city driving and mostly in delhi / gurgaon / noida.

Minee is Maruti ZXI and I have driven 27000 km on JK Vectras, and need only one tyre. The car tyre has been changed t service station and i was not in delhi to check this. Now ther other four tyres look ok but are from 2009(car model).

Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 08:51   #381
BHPian

Hi Guys, I m kind of confused if tyre needs to be changed or not.

Following are the details about my car.
  • Suzuki Ritz VDI + ABS
  • Purchased in Jul 2009
  • Tyres are JK Tornado tubeless which came with car
  • Tyre manufacturing month is 23rd week of 2009, which is July 2009 I guess. That means little under 8 years
  • Car has run 44,800 km
  • Use it within Chennai most of the time
  • In coming weeks have a long trip planned which might come around 1500 KMs in total and another around 3000 KMs
  • Rotation was done only twice or thrice, don't remember exactly

In the month of January this year, my car went for general checkup and MASS had made a note that "tyre has weakened".

For the past few months, I felt the front of the car was jumping at around 60 KMPH and realized the wheel may need balancing. So took it to local Michelin tyre shop and they suggested to cross rotate the tyres, but said no need to do wheel balancing as it's old. So I did and still I can feel the rear jumping, but slightly lesser than before.

My regular "hire to drive" driver says the tyres are good and no need to change. I too have the same thought, but I need your opinions to decide.

Attached are picture of my tyres. I took pictures, one in the morning and one in the evening.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Ritz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20170601_072105.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Ritz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20170601_072133.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Ritz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20170601_072147.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Ritz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20170601_072157.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Ritz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20170601_170957.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Ritz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20170601_171034.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Ritz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20170601_171047.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Ritz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20170601_171100.jpg  

Old 2nd June 2017, 09:49   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannan View Post
Hi Guys, I m kind of confused if tyre needs to be changed or not.

Thanks in advance.
Your tyres needs to be changed on priority basis as they are more than 5 years old due to which the rubber must have got hardened which can result in tyre bursts. Please don't put your or other people's life in danger and change them urgently irrespective of how much tread is left or how many kms they had run.

Also, avoid JK tyres this time. They may be cheap but believe me, they are the worst of the lot. Try Bridgestone, if on a budget or Micheline if budget is not a concern.

Also, I assume you are running on stock size which is 165. You should upsize to unleash the hidden potential of your Ritz. Go for 185 this time.
Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 13:42   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Your tyres needs to be changed on priority basis as they are more than 5 years old due to which the rubber must have got hardened which can result in tyre bursts.
Go for 185 this time.
Thanks man, that is what is my though too.

Michelin XM2 is my preferred one for now, but planning to stick with existing size rather than up-sizing.

I am not sure about the benefits of up-sizing!

Quote:
You should up-size to unleash the hidden potential of your Ritz
Can you please tell me what are the positives of up-sizing, other than better road grip in dry weather.

My usage is high in city limits than long highway drives.
Old 2nd June 2017, 22:43   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannan View Post
Can you please tell me what are the positives of up-sizing, other than better road grip in dry weather.
My usage is high in city limits than long highway drives.
Going from 165 to 185 mm will give your car more surface area which will result in lesser body roll, better handling and braking. Your car's dynamics will be improved so this upgrade is highly recommended.

Lower variants of Ritz are under tyred except the ZXI.

If you plan to keep your stock rims, you should go for 185/70/R14. Please go through the previous pages of this thread to read other member's reviews after upsizing.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 2nd June 2017 at 22:56.
Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2017, 20:36   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Going from 165 to 185 mm will give your car more surface area which will result in lesser body roll, better handling and braking.
Hope this helps.
I changed all the 5 tyres today with Michelin Energy XMR2 165/80R14.
I didn't want to up-size as the travel would be within city most of the time and didn't want the FE to go down nor have impact on steering mechanics.

Also the price difference between 165 and 185 was Rs.1050/- per tyre.

Costed me Rs.4050/- per tyre inclusive of tax.

Next week I would be doing a long distance drive, will post the ride experience later.
Old 5th July 2018, 10:37   #386
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, if it is a bump of an old thread. I still owns a Ritz VDI and it's time for changing all the tyres. Present Apollo Alnac 4G tyres have ran 35000 plus kilometers and are completely worn out. I'm on a budget and tyre size is 185/70/R14. Shop suggested JK tyres which have a warranty of 3 years. I'm not interested in them. Any Bridgestone/Michelin/Yokohama under 4K per tyre for good tyre life and handling.
Old 13th July 2018, 16:34   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Sorry, if it is a bump of an old thread. I still owns a Ritz VDI and it's time for changing all the tyres. Present Apollo Alnac 4G tyres have ran 35000 plus kilometers and are completely worn out. I'm on a budget and tyre size is 185/70/R14. Shop suggested JK tyres which have a warranty of 3 years. I'm not interested in them. Any Bridgestone/Michelin/Yokohama under 4K per tyre for good tyre life and handling.
Please avoid JK. They are the worst tyres. I had to replace 2 of them run less than 18000 kms on my Ritz. First one due to air leak from a repaired puncture and and second one which was the stepney due to sidewall bulging.

I suggest you go with the Yokohama Earth1. It's a good balance between price and performance. Much much better than the crappy JK's.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 01:10   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Avoid JKs. Strict No No type tires.
Go with Michelin XM2 or Yoko Earth1. My XM2s have run 80k+ and the next renewal will be with XM2s only, such is the confidence and experience I had with these tires. The higher range is partly due to the fact that my Ritz normally munches miles on good tarmac. But that takes nothing away from the excellent performance I had from michelins. Much recommended.
headbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 11:41   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
Avoid JKs. Strict No No type tires.
Go with Michelin XM2 or Yoko Earth1. My XM2s have run 80k+ and the next renewal will be with XM2s only, such is the confidence and experience I had with these tires. The higher range is partly due to the fact that my Ritz normally munches miles on good tarmac. But that takes nothing away from the excellent performance I had from michelins. Much recommended.
I think, with most of my commute on tar roads and McAdamized highway roads and seems like Michelin XM2's are the best bet for me, now. May be, my driving which is mostly short distance and city traffic which can be a reason why the tyres lasts only below 40000kms.
Old 17th July 2018, 18:06   #390

Hi Team,
I drive Ritz VXi (2012) with mileage of 37,000Kms. currently running with stock JK Tyres. Now I am planning to upgrade it to 185/70/R14 with alloys. Can anyone please suggest good Tyre & Alloy dealer in Bangalore please.

Most Viewed