Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2009, 10:28   #1
BANNED

How to diagnose a faulty radial tube ?

My story :

Quote:
Two days ago I had a flat tyre on my Bridgestone 145/80 R12 & I took it to a tyre shop(not the local puncturewallah). The chap took the tube out & searched for the punctures but couldn't find any !

He then used the help of water by immersing it in a tank, but in vain. Looked for any problems in valve & he replied that the valve is perfectly fine. Then checked the rim for any trouble, but couldn't find one. Wheel balancing was also done, it was also perfectly fine.

He then put a old tube(which was with him) & filled air in my tube & asked me to wait for 24 hrs to find any air leak. I though that it would become flat within 1 day, but still it's having enough air. I couldn't check the PSI because my gauge was faulty. But still it's having enough air left.
My questions :
  • How to find out whether the tube is defective ?
  • What's the process to diagnose a faulty radial tube ?
  • What to do in cases of "hide & seek" punctures like mine ?
Old 11th July 2009, 10:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

sometimes very fine punctures might evade tyrewallahs. i once had a tube which kept losing air. One of my regular tyrewallahs couldnt find the leak. The other one did (without me even telling him - i told him i suspected a leaky valve). he fixed the puncture and it has been running fine ever since
Old 11th July 2009, 22:39   #3
BANNED

Please clear my doubts since the tube is having enough juice left even after 48 hrs !

And, how to find very minute punctures ? Is water immersion a practical option ?
Old 11th July 2009, 23:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Since plain water immersion isn't detecting it, you could perhaps try soap water might help?

I'd rinse off the soap after the job...
Old 17th July 2009, 09:44   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon
you could perhaps try soap water might help
Not working.

I had kept the faulty tube(fully filled) outside for 3 days to find any leaks, but in vain. So I fitted that tube & ran for about 100 KMS, but when I reached home...the tube was flat again !

So what's the problem with the tube?
Old 17th July 2009, 11:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

@Mithun,it's also possible that someone might have removed the air from your tyre knowingly in your absense. This is also a possibilty
Old 17th July 2009, 11:38   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
@Mithun,it's also possible that someone might have removed the air from your tyre knowingly in your absense. This is also a possibilty
No way. The car was at my home always. No trespassers !!!
Old 17th July 2009, 11:50   #8
BHPian

you have a valve cap, check with the valve properly tightened.
Old 17th July 2009, 12:05   #9
BHPian

There maybe a fine nail/pin somwhere if you can find in the tire which on running vehicle creates very fine holes in tube and the weight of car helps is letting the air out which will not come out otherwise if immersed in water.
Old 17th July 2009, 13:13   #10
BANNED

Ok, I'll inspect the tyre & also the valve cap and keep you updated.
Old 17th July 2009, 14:42   #11
BANNED

Firstly, a radial tube can always be used in a non-radial. I am also inclined towards a very fine pinhole OR for some reason your valve did not close fully. Very rare but possible. Some muck/dust in the valve!
Old 19th July 2009, 21:56   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Firstly, a radial tube can always be used in a non-radial. I am also inclined towards a very fine pinhole OR for some reason your valve did not close fully. Very rare but possible. Some muck/dust in the valve!
What to do if the valve is faulty ?
Old 20th July 2009, 11:29   #13
BHPian

Mithun I doubt if it'd be the valve as it's a basic check that your puncture repair guy would have done. Even if it is the case you can always change the inner valve should cost about Rs.5/10. If you can do it try taking this tube to tyre repair guys who repair punctures for truck / bus tyres. They will have large water containers in which they immerse tubes to check for leaks. He'll fill about 10 psi extra air and check it, any minute puncture is bound to show up.
Old 20th July 2009, 17:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Mithun,

Just another viewpoint. How old is the tube? If its more than 3 years old, or stored in extremely hot conditions, there's always a possibility that the rubber will deteriorate.

In such a scenario, the rubber becomes structurally weak. Although it will not leak air as long as you keep it inflated outside, it will start losing air the moment it is mounted on to a vehicle and under pressure.

I've had something similar happening to the rear tyre of my Pulsar. After it mysteriously rid itself of air thrice in a fortnight, and everytime the tyre shop wallah couldnt diagnose anything, I just threw it out and bought a new tube. No problems since then.
Old 25th July 2009, 12:24   #15
BANNED

predatorwheelz : The tube is only 9 months old.

Most Viewed