Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2011, 11:20   #301
BHPian

re: Fiat Punto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I have come across the following alloy in classified section.
My punto is mjd active and as it is base model with R14 stock rims ,is it possible to go for the punto emotion pk alloy wheels with R15 diameter.Please enlighten me on that front.Moreover my tyres are up of change as they have already clocked 34000kms ,which tyres are best suited for them Moreover,advice me for the good tyres for the same

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...to-Alloys.html
Old 24th May 2011, 11:25   #302
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
My punto is mjd active and as it is base model with R14 stock rims ,is it possible to go for the punto emotion pk alloy wheels with R15 diameter.Please enlighten me on that front.Moreover my tyres are up of change as they have already clocked 34000kms ,which tyres are best suited for them Moreover,advice me for the good tyres for the same

Yes you can go ahead with those rims. Get 195/60 R15 tyres to go along with it. There will be no issues with your car.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2011, 11:33   #303
BHPian

dear akshay,thank you very much for quick response.One thing more which brand or company should i go for?considering poor state of roads in this side of India.Moreover ,i have to do some frequent trips between gorakhpur and Varanasi which is quite potholes ridden
Old 24th May 2011, 13:41   #304
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
dear akshay,thank you very much for quick response.One thing more which brand or company should i go for?considering poor state of roads in this side of India.Moreover ,i have to do some frequent trips between gorakhpur and Varanasi which is quite potholes ridden
Go for Yokohama ES100 or Bridgestone Turanza ER-60. Avoid Michelin as they have softer side walls.
Just checkout this thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2356314
MCR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2011, 13:45   #305
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If they are really bad roads then Bridgestone Turanza will be the best choice, whichever is available in that size. If not then try Apollo Acceleres too.

Otherwise you can go with Yokohama C-Drives, but they will not be as tough as the other 2.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2011, 10:14   #306
Senior - BHPian

We've a Fiat GP 1.3 E+ at home which has completed 36.xx k+ kms. Of late, the two OE Goodyear tyres were found to be defective.

Dad is planning to replace only 'TWO' tyres as there is enough rubber to crunch at least 8k+ kms with the current set of tyres. Further he added that we'll be replacing the other TWO/ FOUR tyres in-one-go at a later stage.

Dad wanted me to get the inputs of the tyres gurus over here.

My dad's preference :
  • JK ZEPHYR 195/60 R15
  • MRF ZV2K 195/60 R15
  • Apollo Accelere 195/60 R15

And here comes our queries :
  1. Which tyre should we go for?
  2. Any other recommendations than the ones listed above?
  3. Since we're replacing only two tyres now, should we fit the new tyres in the front or rear?
Old 28th May 2011, 11:00   #307
BHPian

Among the ones you've listed, Accelere is the best by far. However there are plenty of other tyres available. Are you looking for comfort or grip? And what is your budget?

And i would recommend against changing only two tyres. Change all four, the remaining two tyres have only 8k of tread, its not like you're losing brand new tyres. You can always keep them as spare tyres. But if you are still bent on replacing only two tyres, the new ones would go in the front. But when you do rotation the old tyres will go to the front and you wont have much grip at all from the front tyres
radiokidb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2011, 18:31   #308
BHPian

Friends,

After surpassing 40K KM in my Emotion Pack Punto I feel it is time now to retire my 195 60 R 15 Michelin Primacy LC's. Well due to the roads conditions I travel I am planning to change the tires and at the same time achieve increased ground clearance.

Now I have shortlisted two options which are well under the recommended upgrade limits (2.5%).

Option 1. 185 65 R 15 (overall difference in dia. 1.03%, Ground Clearance increase: 6 mm).

Option 2. 205 60 R 15 (overall difference in dia. 1.91%, Ground Clearance increase: 12 mm).

As can be seen in option 1 I will be losing 10mm contact area with road along with slight increase in GC and in option 2 will be gaining 10mm of contact area with road with significant increase in GC.

Need expert opinions from the Guru's here. Please suggest pros and cons of both to help me finalize.

-Rohit
Old 31st May 2011, 19:49   #309
BHPian

Quote:

I dont want to comment, but it seems the seller is not really interested in selling the alloys. after a looong interaction with him on phone and mails, he told me that he intends to keep the alloys with himself.
I requested him to remove the ad from the classified section long time ago. May be he changed his mind..try your luck friend.
Old 31st May 2011, 20:52   #310
Senior - BHPian

@rohit

Are you actually facing any issues with underbody scraping?? Because in general the Punto doesnt really face much issue of underbody scraping, except in extreme cases.
Old 31st May 2011, 21:05   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
@rohit

Are you actually facing any issues with underbody scraping?? Because in general the Punto doesnt really face much issue of underbody scraping, except in extreme cases.
Yaa..as I said the kind of roads I drive on we have here..Increasing GC is needed and as i am going to change the tyres might as well do it now .
Old 1st June 2011, 09:01   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
Friends,

After surpassing 40K KM in my Emotion Pack Punto I feel it is time now to retire my 195 60 R 15 Michelin Primacy LC's. Well due to the roads conditions I travel I am planning to change the tires and at the same time achieve increased ground clearance.

Now I have shortlisted two options which are well under the recommended upgrade limits (2.5%).

Option 1. 185 65 R 15 (overall difference in dia. 1.03%, Ground Clearance increase: 6 mm).

Option 2. 205 60 R 15 (overall difference in dia. 1.91%, Ground Clearance increase: 12 mm).

As can be seen in option 1 I will be losing 10mm contact area with road along with slight increase in GC and in option 2 will be gaining 10mm of contact area with road with significant increase in GC.

Need expert opinions from the Guru's here. Please suggest pros and cons of both to help me finalize.

-Rohit
Rohit,
Sorry to say this, but your calculations are not correct.
Can you tell me how you arrrived at these figures?

The fact of the matter is, by changing your 195/60 R15 and replacing it with:
  1. 185/65 R15, you'll only increase the GC by 1.625mm (diameter increase by 3.25mm)
  2. 205/60 R15, you'll only increase the GC by 3mm (diameter increase by 6mm)
I replaced my 165/80 R14 JK tyres on my Emotion with 205/60 R15 Yokohama ES100. I must say I'm very happy with them.
My suggestions for you would be the following 4 tyres-you can choose any one from them
  1. Yokohama C drives
  2. Continental Sports contact
  3. Yokohama S drives
  4. Bridgestone Turanza
Hope this helps.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 1st June 2011 at 09:06.
Old 1st June 2011, 09:29   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Rohit,
Sorry to say this, but your calculations are not correct.
Can you tell me how you arrrived at these figures?

The fact of the matter is, by changing your 195/60 R15 and replacing it with:
  1. 185/65 R15, you'll only increase the GC by 1.625mm (diameter increase by 3.25mm)
  2. 205/60 R15, you'll only increase the GC by 3mm (diameter increase by 6mm)
I replaced my 165/80 R14 JK tyres on my Emotion with 205/60 R15 Yokohama ES100. I must say I'm very happy with them.
My suggestions for you would be the following 4 tyres-you can choose any one from them
  1. Yokohama C drives
  3. Yokohama S drives
  4. Bridgestone Turanza
Hope this helps.
Hi Hemant thanks for pointing out the error. I used this link here for claculations:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...alculator.html (Tire size and Speedo error calculator)

If you see here the overall diameter with 195/60 R-15 is 615mm and with 205/60 R-15 is 627mm. So the achieved difference in diameter will be 12mm. I made a mistake of considering this difference as the GC actually GC difference will be half of this i.e. 6mm. Thanks again. So with 205/60 R-15 I will increase my Punto's GC from 165mm to 171mm.

Since you are already using 205/60 R-15 I am sure they are not fouling with the car body during turns/potholes. How is your perception regarding handling with these, any change in the superb handling of the Punto?

-Rohit
Old 1st June 2011, 10:19   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
  1. Yokohama C drives
  3. Yokohama S drives
  4. Bridgestone Turanza
Hope this helps.
Rohit, I tend to agree with hemanth. I have been using Yoko C drives (195/60 R15) which is exactly the same size as GT3 OEM for Punto Emotion pack for the past 7K kms and am very happy with that. My observations after the change are

1. Reduced noise
2. Smoother drive
3. No change in steering weight and handling

Lot of people give a big thumbs up for Bridgestone Turanza as well. Maybe you can try them.
Old 1st June 2011, 10:56   #315
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
Hi Hemant thanks for pointing out the error. I used this link here for claculations:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...alculator.html (Tire size and Speedo error calculator)

If you see here the overall diameter with 195/60 R-15 is 615mm and with 205/60 R-15 is 627mm. So the achieved difference in diameter will be 12mm. I made a mistake of considering this difference as the GC actually GC difference will be half of this i.e. 6mm. Thanks again. So with 205/60 R-15 I will increase my Punto's GC from 165mm to 171mm.

Since you are already using 205/60 R-15 I am sure they are not fouling with the car body during turns/potholes. How is your perception regarding handling with these, any change in the superb handling of the Punto?

-Rohit
I don't know if you have observed, In fact I have made a mistake too.
I had further divided the 6mm by 2
Now we both are right, with 205/60 you'll increase the GC by 6 mm

There are no fouling issues for sure.
For me the increase was 40mm in width...I can feel the car gripping the road more and also the steering is a little bit stiff.
The handling has only improved with the tyre change for me.

For you from 195/60 to 205/60, there must not be any visible changes in handling...The looks will improve one step for sure.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks