Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2011, 13:41   #346
Senior - BHPian

re: Fiat Punto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hi kaustav

I also own a punto active MJD, i changed my wheels to alloys + 195/60/R15 after 15k kms.Till now i have covered another 15k on these tires .
After changing to 15inch tires i was pleasantly surprised that the car scrapes far less in the same places as it used to before in r14 tires.Even tough the diameter is almost the same.The reason could be wider tires so less pressure on the tires and less compression .It is always better to stick with manufacturer recommended tires sizes as considerable amount of testing would have been done before arriving at these figures.

If you are changing to alloys please avoid non OE alloys , whatever tires size you choose, to avoid wobble and other issues later.Moreover OE alloys will always let your mind be at peace as warranty will not be avoid.
Old 4th November 2011, 11:21   #347
BHPian

Hi Gurus,

My Stock GT3's have done 40,000 KMS till today, and for the last 10 days or so I noticed some wobbling on the steering wheel & i can also see the car moving to right on a straight stretch. I can see the front tyres threading is completely gone.

I am assuming all the above is because of the tyres getting worn out, please do confirm.

I have another 5K Kms left for service, hence not planning for one immediately.

After reading all the threads here, I would like to mention that the stock tyres never disappointed me so far, i have driven good and bad roads and many kms in highways and was very comfortable.

though many are suggesting Michelin LC or Yoko ES 100 S.

Whats the best considering the super bad roads (thanks to heavy rains) of chennai?
Old 4th November 2011, 12:52   #348
Senior - BHPian

i would suggest good year assurance for bad roads they have better puncture Resistance and much more suitable for Indian conditions
Old 8th November 2011, 11:22   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
i would suggest good year assurance for bad roads they have better puncture Resistance and much more suitable for Indian conditions
Hi Team - got new shoes for my Shine and I must tell you they are too good to be true.

Got the Bridgestone Turanza close to my home at Rao Tyres.

There is no road noise whatsoever and except smooth engine sound I dont hear anything. Ride quality is also better.

Shine will get a chance to stretch her legs this weekend.

Regards
Sri
Old 8th November 2011, 11:27   #350
Senior - BHPian

thats great cna you post pictures and price details
Old 9th November 2011, 11:52   #351
BHPian

Gurus,

I have a GP 90HP which runs on stock Goodyear R15 tyres. I am facing lot of issues with the net ground clearance of the vehicle as it scraps most speed breakers in Bangalore. (I know the problems lies somewhere else - bad roads, un-scientific speed breaker design & height..I can't much other than adapting my ride for a scrape-free drive with-in the city / mild-offroad hill station drives)

I am contemplating to upsize my wheel size; and I wish to buy the R16 alloy wheels of the T-Jet.

Please share your thoughts on such a modification -
1. What would be actual gain in the Ground Clearance(mm)?
2. Would there be any gearing problems? If yes, how can i adapt it?
3. Possible speedo error? How can I adapt it?
4. Effects on high speed cornering, stability, braking etc?

Your advise would be HIGHLY appreciated.

Cheers
Old 9th November 2011, 14:18   #352
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader View Post
Gurus,

I have a GP 90HP which runs on stock Goodyear R15 tyres. I am facing lot of issues with the net ground clearance of the vehicle as it scraps most speed breakers in Bangalore. (I know the problems lies somewhere else - bad roads, un-scientific speed breaker design & height..I can't much other than adapting my ride for a scrape-free drive with-in the city / mild-offroad hill station drives)

I am contemplating to upsize my wheel size; and I wish to buy the R16 alloy wheels of the T-Jet.

Please share your thoughts on such a modification -
1. What would be actual gain in the Ground Clearance(mm)?
2. Would there be any gearing problems? If yes, how can i adapt it?
3. Possible speedo error? How can I adapt it?
4. Effects on high speed cornering, stability, braking etc?

Your advise would be HIGHLY appreciated.

Cheers
Hello Invader,

The Tjet 16 inch Alloys are just awesome.

1. For ground clearance, I've created a Simple excel sheet, Please find it attached below.
tyre.xlsx

Also below is the screen shot from the same excel sheet where I've calculated the GC change on my punto emotion when I changed the tyres.
Fiat Punto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-my-tyre-change.jpg

2. Gearing Problems??? I don't know what problems you are thinking about...please explain

3. Speedo error depends on the new tyre size that you choose... The distance and fuel consumption displayed on the MID will have that error.
To get a precise FE calculation, do a manual calculation with that error taken into account.
If you are not worried about FE, forget it...no adaptaion required

4. Again depends on the tyre size you choose especially width...In most of the cases, wider tyres will give you improvement in all the 3 parameters mentioned.

Other things to keep in mind:
1. Steering will get harder when you move higher on the width of the tyre.

2. check the Wheel well if it can accomodate whatever tyre size you choose before fixing all the wheels

Hope this helps.

PS: If you plan to sell your existing Punto alloys, please inform me...one of my friend is interested

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 9th November 2011 at 14:22.
Old 14th November 2011, 18:53   #353
BHPian

Thanks Hemanth for your quick response. I visited the TAS for this upgrade and the chief Fiat technician discouraged me from such an upgrade stating that there are a lot of 'after effects' including tyres hitting the wheel walls, suspension, difficulty in engaging the gears when the car is on the move and finally a warranty issue.

He instead suggested me to go for 195 / 65 / R15 tyres instead which also has side-effects however they are more easier to live with.

He also advised that, if I have problems getting my under-belly scraped (especially at the engine guard area), i could replace the engine guard once every year instead.

I have heard that the upcoming 2012 Fiat Punto Evo (Sports) comes with R16 OEMs; will wait if I can lift the complete arrangement from that one.

Will surely let you know incase i wish to trade-off my R15 alloy as hinted.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Hello Invader,

The Tjet 16 inch Alloys are just awesome.

1. For ground clearance, I've created a Simple excel sheet, Please find it attached below.
Attachment 839735

Also below is the screen shot from the same excel sheet where I've calculated the GC change on my punto emotion when I changed the tyres.
Attachment 839736

2. Gearing Problems??? I don't know what problems you are thinking about...please explain

3. Speedo error depends on the new tyre size that you choose... The distance and fuel consumption displayed on the MID will have that error.
To get a precise FE calculation, do a manual calculation with that error taken into account.
If you are not worried about FE, forget it...no adaptaion required

4. Again depends on the tyre size you choose especially width...In most of the cases, wider tyres will give you improvement in all the 3 parameters mentioned.

Other things to keep in mind:
1. Steering will get harder when you move higher on the width of the tyre.

2. check the Wheel well if it can accomodate whatever tyre size you choose before fixing all the wheels

Hope this helps.

PS: If you plan to sell your existing Punto alloys, please inform me...one of my friend is interested
Old 16th November 2011, 14:49   #354
MCR
BHPian

DuraPlus - Tyres - Goodyear India

Goodyear promises a 5 year warranty + 100,000 kms of minimum life on the Duraplus tyres. Are these tyres good?
Old 21st November 2011, 12:00   #355
Distinguished - BHPian

Duraplus is a good tyre. Dont expect 1 lakh kms but they do last long. Quite rugged as well. Dont expect fantastic ride quality or grip though.

The Duraplus is mainly aimed at the organised taxi segment. The Goodyear Assurance is a good tyre.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 19:15   #356
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Duraplus is a good tyre. Dont expect 1 lakh kms but they do last long. Quite rugged as well. Dont expect fantastic ride quality or grip though.

The Duraplus is mainly aimed at the organised taxi segment. The Goodyear Assurance is a good tyre.
Thought so! I saw the tyre and did not really like it. I also saw and compared Yoko A drives with MRF ZLO. MRF has better (visually) and deeper threads and is also soft to touch. So I am leaning towards MRF ZLO.
Old 19th December 2011, 09:23   #357
BHPian

I have just started searching for new alloys to replace my stock ones for 2 year old Em Pk. I still have not found a 98PCD design that i love yet, but hope i will in 2 to 3 weeks time.

My questions,

- How much will i get for 2 year old 45k done Stock alloys?
- Which are the best brand for 98PCD
- I stay in HSR, bangalore so any suggestions near by? (Reliance auto mart do not have)
- i have a black beauty so basically looking for a hot whoes for her, much better looking than stock ones ( i love the stock ones)
Old 19th December 2011, 09:35   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~VinZ~~ View Post
I have just started searching for new alloys to replace my stock ones for 2 year old Em Pk. I still have not found a 98PCD design that i love yet, but hope i will in 2 to 3 weeks time.

My questions,

- How much will i get for 2 year old 45k done Stock alloys?
- Which are the best brand for 98PCD
- I stay in HSR, bangalore so any suggestions near by? (Reliance auto mart do not have)
- i have a black beauty so basically looking for a hot whoes for her, much better looking than stock ones ( i love the stock ones)
-you may get between 10-15k for your alloys if they are undamaged
-HRS has some good designs in 98 pcd checkout their website - Cheap Alloy Wheels,Car Alloy Wheels,Automotive Alloy Wheels, Chrome Alloy Wheels India
-check out Drift in koramangala 4th block near maharaja .
ms001 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2011, 09:53   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
-you may get between 10-15k for your alloys if they are undamaged
-HRS has some good designs in 98 pcd checkout their website - Cheap Alloy Wheels,Car Alloy Wheels,Automotive Alloy Wheels, Chrome Alloy Wheels India
-check out Drift in koramangala 4th block near maharaja .
Thank You.

Yes, they are undamanaged except a few scratches of 2 to 3 cm.

I did check the HRS websites and wanted more designs in 15 inchers. i will definitely check out the Drift..
Old 19th December 2011, 13:01   #360
BHPian

I have booked a Punto 1.3 MJD EP+. The dealer told me that the available car has GoodYear tyres (I think the GT3). What is the general feedback for this tyre? On other threads, I have heard some negatives and some positives. I would like as much feedback as possible so I can decide whether to change them right out of the showroom, or do I hold on for a year and then change. While at it, I'd like your views on suitable alternatives.

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed