Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2013, 16:04   #481
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Mods : searched but didn't find a dedicated Linea tyre thread. Hence posting here, please move if suitable thread exists.

Case : Linea TJet+ , 27000km , tyres fairly worn out. Guesstimate around 4000-5000km life left, so I am prepping up much in advance but I need to, since I haven't been evaluating car tyres until now.

1. What is the life of Goodyear NCT5s , 205/55-16 ?
2. How good are these NCT5s in terms of grip and comfort ?
3. Spare tyre tread pretty much as good as new, seems it was never or rarely used. Would it be a risk if I changed only 4 tyres to a different brand and tread pattern, then used the NCT5 spare in case of a flat ?
4. Nearby tyre shop quotes over 9000 per tyre for any of Micheline Primacy LC, Bridgestone MY01 and GR80 - that seems steep considering what prices I read here. Is he trying to pull a fast one ? Also quotes Apollo Acelere at 6200 per tyre.
5.Has anyone heard of or used a Chinese brand Jinyu ? If yes, how good/bad are they?

Any other brand/models I should look out for ?

TIA
Please try Yokohama too you can go for C Drive / DB V 550 both will be less than Michilien, I hope
accentgiri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2013, 22:27   #482
BHPian

re: Fiat Punto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

HELP NEEDED!!!

My Punto suffered a slight bent in the mag wheel due to which it cannot retain air. (My father while driving hit a pothole with 5 passengers + luggage on board). Actually the damage is not much, coz my father drove around 70 kms before the tyre became flat. Presently i am using the spare wheel (normal steel rim). My father has fitted a tube into the tyre, which i dont agree, and i feel its unsafe.

Kindly suggest:
1. Should i repair the mag wheel. Can anyone suggest any workshops nearby GOA.
2. Should i buy a new wheel (not very keen due to the 10k cost).

Thanks in advance
Old 3rd June 2013, 17:49   #483
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Mods : searched but didn't find a dedicated Linea tyre thread. Hence posting here, please move if suitable thread exists.

Case : Linea TJet+ , 27000km , tyres fairly worn out. Guesstimate around 4000-5000km life left, so I am prepping up much in advance but I need to, since I haven't been evaluating car tyres until now.

1. What is the life of Goodyear NCT5s , 205/55-16 ?
Unpredictable life. My T-Jet thread should give you an idea of the horror story these NCT5s are capable of causing. Belt failure at 6k kms!

Quote:
2. How good are these NCT5s in terms of grip and comfort ?
Grip is below average, and comfort is bad. They are slightly on the harder side from my experience of these tyres on highways. The ride quality is a bit harsh with NCT5s, in spite of them claiming that NCT5s are among the softer tyres in Goodyear's armoury.

Quote:
3. Spare tyre tread pretty much as good as new, seems it was never or rarely used. Would it be a risk if I changed only 4 tyres to a different brand and tread pattern, then used the NCT5 spare in case of a flat ?
Considering the spare will hardly be used, it makes financial sense to retain the unused NCT5 as the spare wheel and change only 4 tyres to whichever brand you like. I did the same thing, since Primacy LC 205/55R16 was quite heavily priced at 9600 per tyre when I bought my set.

Quote:
4. Nearby tyre shop quotes over 9000 per tyre for any of Micheline Primacy LC, Bridgestone MY01 and GR80 - that seems steep considering what prices I read here. Is he trying to pull a fast one ? Also quotes Apollo Acelere at 6200 per tyre.
From what I know, the non-Indian brands mostly import sizes of 16" tyres and above (and manufacture 15" and smaller sizes locally), since the demand for >15" tyres is relatively low here. This is the reason for the vast disparity in prices between 15" and 16", although the real difference in size is just 1" in dimensions . So they aren't actually fleecing you. 16" will set you back by at least 8-9k per tyre for reputed brands. Pretty normal stuff

Quote:
5.Has anyone heard of or used a Chinese brand Jinyu ? If yes, how good/bad are they?
Sounds more like the name of a pet dog to me. Sorry I've never heard of the brand . I'd recommend you stick to the known players - Michelin, Bridgestone, Yokohama or even Hankook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_myth View Post
HELP NEEDED!!!

My Punto suffered a slight bent in the mag wheel due to which it cannot retain air. (My father while driving hit a pothole with 5 passengers + luggage on board). Actually the damage is not much, coz my father drove around 70 kms before the tyre became flat. Presently i am using the spare wheel (normal steel rim). My father has fitted a tube into the tyre, which i dont agree, and i feel its unsafe.

Kindly suggest:
1. Should i repair the mag wheel. Can anyone suggest any workshops nearby GOA.
2. Should i buy a new wheel (not very keen due to the 10k cost).

Thanks in advance
1. Alloy wheel repair (bend removal) is carried out by some shops by heating the alloy and re-shaping it into the perfect circle. While it may work out temporarily as a stop gap fix, heating the alloy causes it to lose strength, and there is no more any guarantee of the alloy wheel's strength in future. It is not recommended as a reliable fix at all. At the very worst case, you could re-shape it and use it as a spare wheel, nothing more.

2. A bent alloy wheel should be replaced by a new one. No 2 ways about it.

Last edited by KarthikK : 3rd June 2013 at 17:54.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2013, 01:32   #484
BHPian

@Accentgiri

Yokohama C/S drives aren't available in 205/55-R16 sizes, at least in India, only A drives and the DB series. So far Bridgestone Potenza GIII looks like a good bet, but I haven't rounded up all tyre reviews yet , and still have time to change.
Old 8th June 2013, 17:08   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek View Post
ZLO's are good. You can really go for them. 8 months on pretty decent IMO!!
I fully agree with you , Mrf zlos are great tires by any standards .A week ago I had this freaky incident with my car where in its front left tire got puntured , moreover when I tried jacking up the car the jack also gave in .I was stranded with busted tires and jack .I had no other option but to drive the car till I reach a place where I could get mechanic with jack , so I did drive the car for 2 kms and thought tire must have developed big cuts but tire stood the test and doing its job again .My take is that mrf tires can take a little abuse once a while
Regards
Praveen singh
Old 11th June 2013, 16:10   #486
BHPian

Here is my tyre problem. The stock GT3s on my Punto 90hp have run 40k and are beginning to show their age.. am considering the following tyres - please help me with advice and opinion:

Ride: Punto Emotion Pack 90hp 2010 - pre-2012 shocks with lower GC
KMs done: 40k
Current Tyres: 195/60R15 Goodyear GT3 OEM - may be able to stretch them for another 3-4k with some sedate driving
Style of driving: Sporty when alone, sedate when with family
Priorities (in order): Grip, Stability under braking and cornering, comfort

Options for new set in order of current consideration:

Firstly the profile - the options I have are:
1. 195/60R15 - awesome handling - I have no complaints with my current handling
2. 205/60R15 - better comfort with a possible downside on handling/dynamism. Possible warranty issues to consider. FE impact?
3. 205/55R15 - better comfort. possible warranty issues. impact on handling unclear. FE impact?
On the profile, I am currently biased towards retaining 195/60R15 - would like to hear opinion and options on other profiles to consider. I am not too keen to change the alloys since I like the design (and I like saving some money too ) - hence not looking at anything other than R15

Now for the tyres themselves, my current considerations are:
1. Yokohama AVS DB - Pros: Good balance of comfort, super silent and good feedback+control (based on a ride in a friends linea). Cons: Soft tyre may have early degradation
2. Yokohama S Drive - Pros: Good grip and great feedback/control. Cons: lesser comfort than above?
3. Yokohama C Drive - Pros: Good balance between the AVS DB and the S Drive. Cons: ??
4. Michelin / Bridgestone not being considered due to them being too soft. Opinions welcome

Currently, I am undecided between the 3 Yoko tyres and am not sure if there are any other tyres I need to consider. would appreciate if some of the esteemed forumers can help me out of this quandary. Thanks in advance!
Old 11th June 2013, 17:13   #487
BHPian

@Kamikaze ,

I'm not sure about the entire DB series, but the Yokohama ES501 has been noted for poor wet grip. I'm no tyre expert, but it seems quiet tyres compromise on grip.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/ is a good reference, since the Brits are frequently get wet weather, so you'll likely get a good idea of wet grip. Bet careful to match exact tyre models though.

Meanwhile - my own query to tyre gurus :
Most tyres now are directional. How do you manage tyre rotation with unidirectional tyres ? Do you remove and reseat the tyre on rim each time in the correct direction ?

What about the spare , you can only fit the spare tyre assuming left or right side. If there is a puncture and you have the spare installed such that it's in the opposite direction, do you still use it as is ? In that case, do you need to limit your speed or distance in order to contain any handling/braking anomaly caused by incorrect tyre rotation direction ?
Old 13th June 2013, 10:37   #488
BHPian

@Ricci, thanks for the feedback.. I could not find ES501 on the Yoko website.. did you mean the ES100 tyres?

Currently, I am undecided between the Yoko C Drive AC01 and the Yoko AVS DB V550 with a current bias towards the V550
Old 14th June 2013, 22:59   #489
BHPian

Kamikaze : Ok, seems ES501 isn't there in 15 inch, only 16. This is the model though :
http://www.changemytyre.com/Tyres/Ca...hama/ES501/247

Watch for all the ES series just to be sure.
Old 15th June 2013, 20:43   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
Currently, I am undecided between the Yoko C Drive AC01 and the Yoko AVS DB V550 with a current bias towards the V550
I've previously had the V550 in size 205/60/R15 on my car for about 47,000 kms, and right now she runs on 195/60/R15 C-Drives. The V550 dB is the better of the two for sheer comfort and ultra low road noise. I had to put in the C-drives as the V550's weren't available at the time.
Old 15th June 2013, 21:53   #491
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post

You can go with either of them. And you will be happy! Have been using C Drives for a couple of weeks now and can say they are much better than the stock Aceleres!
Old 19th June 2013, 12:02   #492
BHPian

Getting the delivery of my Punto Emotion MJD in a couple of days. The stock tyres on the vehicle are Aceleres. What i'm looking for in order of priority:

1. Good dry and wet weather grip. I drive to Mangalore occasionally and would be nice to have good wet weather handling.

2. Something that won't get damaged very easily. I drive mostly within cities, yet i wouldn't want to be stranded somewhere with a damaged sidewall when i drive on rough roads. Basically I'm not looking for amazing grip at the cost of a very soft sidewall.

3. Something that lasts for atleast 30K KMs or so. I understand the Aceleres will last longer. I'm ok with something that lasts a little less.

4. Not noisy below 120 KMPH on the highways. I'm willing to sacrifice noise above that speed for longevity as i don't see myself driving at those speeds often.

Basically an above average tyre that does most things well. Should i stick to Aceleres or upgrade? If yes, what would be suggested in the OEM tyre size (195/60R15)? I'd prefer something that's known to work well on Puntos. Thanks in advance.
Old 19th June 2013, 12:33   #493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Djinn View Post
Getting the delivery of my Punto Emotion MJD in a couple of days. The stock tyres on the vehicle are Aceleres. What i'm looking for in order of priority:

1. Good dry and wet weather grip. I drive to Mangalore occasionally and would be nice to have good wet weather handling.
Basically an above average tyre that does most things well. Should i stick to Aceleres or upgrade? If yes, what would be suggested in the OEM tyre size (195/60R15)? I'd prefer something that's known to work well on Puntos. Thanks in advance.
Congrats on getting your new car.

The stock size is adequate for your requirement. The acceleres have good life and the size should take care of any dynamic limitations.

The Punto has wind noise on the highways, although you need to check with an actual user about the Acceleres tyre noise. I am referring to tyres used on an SX4(OEM lasted 80k)

Stick to OEM, they should hold up with a hard sidewall typical of Indian makes.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 13:13   #494
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Djinn View Post

Congratulations on your purchase! The Aceleres should serve you well if you do Bangalore-Mangalore trips frequently. They are not bad tyres. The OEM tyres' ruggedness will be useful on the potholed stretches of Shiradi ghats and other sections which are famous for bad road surface quality.

Quote:
2. Something that won't get damaged very easily. I drive mostly within cities, yet i wouldn't want to be stranded somewhere with a damaged sidewall when i drive on rough roads. Basically I'm not looking for amazing grip at the cost of a very soft sidewall.
The last sentence automatically rules out most of the good upgrade options such as Michelin Primacy LC or Yokohama AVS DB550 which have soft sidewalls. You could try Bridgestone MY02 if that's available in 195/60R15 size, or even Pirelli P6 195/60R15 if you are willing to give that brand a try. Yoko C-drives or ES100 also come with that size if I'm not mistaken.

Quote:
3. Something that lasts for atleast 30K KMs or so. I understand the Aceleres will last longer. I'm ok with something that lasts a little less.

4. Not noisy below 120 KMPH on the highways. I'm willing to sacrifice noise above that speed for longevity as i don't see myself driving at those speeds often. Basically an above average tyre that does most things well. Should i stick to Aceleres or upgrade? If yes, what would be suggested in the OEM tyre size (195/60R15)? I'd prefer something that's known to work well on Puntos. Thanks in advance.
I'd say stick to the stock Aceleres unless you are really looking for some improvement in a specific area such as silence or cushioned comfort ride (Michelins) or outright grip for sporty driving (many choices). I've been using Aceleres mainly in the city, and rarely on highways and the tyre noise is acceptable at most speeds. Actually, let me put it this way - in the city (especially Bangalore), where do we have the chance to listen to tyre noise when we usually have 100 bikes, autos and cars honking and revving around us?

Aceleres are actually quite decent tyres compared to other lousy OEM brands such as JK vectra or Goodyear GT3. The grip is decent, longevity is excellent, ruggedness is satisfactory and tyre noise is acceptable (although can't be called silent). Considering you want ruggedness on your Mangalore highway trips more than you actually require an upgrade, I'd suggest you stick to the Aceleres for the first 25k-30k kms and then take a gamble with the second stint.

Last edited by KarthikK : 19th June 2013 at 13:19.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 00:15   #495

Hi this thread has been very informative. I have a Punto MJD which has been serving me well for last 43K KMs and the OEM Goodyears (195/60 R15) my survey over last couple of weeks has led me to a choice between Bridgestone and MRF ZLO's

I drive the car most in city in Mumbai with an occasional trip to Pune.

Any opinions on what's best for Punto MJD?

Most Viewed