Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2013, 11:17   #511
Senior - BHPian

re: Fiat Punto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

How long do the stock Goodyear 195/60-15 tyres last ?

I just took my folks 2009 Punto for WA & WB and was shocked to see cracks develop on the tyre's surface. And the tyres have barely run 25K kms.

Going to have to change the tyres within the next 2-3K kms as the car sees a fair bit of Mum-Pune-Mum runs once every 2 months or so.

Last edited by praful : 6th November 2013 at 11:18.
Old 6th November 2013, 11:28   #512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
How long do the stock Goodyear 195/60-15 tyres last ?

I just took my folks 2009 Punto for WA & WB and was shocked to see cracks develop on the tyre's surface. And the tyres have barely run 25K kms.

Going to have to change the tyres within the next 2-3K kms as the car sees a fair bit of Mum-Pune-Mum runs once every 2 months or so.
I think the tyres are past their shelf life if not running life, 4 years is too long and if the car has been left idle for long stretches, the tyres do crumble, that is why folks check the production date on the tyre at purchase.

I don't think you should wait for that long to change the tyres, a 4 year old tyre with cracks is bad news waiting to happen especially on the Mum-Pune stretch(if you are referring to the expressway there). 195/60 has a lot of choices, change them based on how long you plan to keep the car, Apollo acceleres have a lot of life but don't expect comfort. Seeing the kind of running, I think you should get more expensive tyres which improve braking - an absolute essential for highway runs.
Old 6th November 2013, 11:36   #513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
I think the tyres are past their shelf life if not running life, 4 years is too long and if the car has been left idle for long stretches, the tyres do crumble, that is why folks check the production date on the tyre at purchase.
Tyres have a shelf life of 6 years if not left unused to deteriorate in the sun. The car doesn't stand idle, its used pretty frequently but doesn't cover much distances. The production date is 2 prior to the car's purchase date of Nov'2009.

My Palio's tyres developed cracks only after the tyres were 6 years old, so I was quite surprised to see the Goodyear's develop cracks in just 25K/4years.

With regards to changing tyres, we will stick to either of Bridgestone or Michelin.
Old 6th November 2013, 11:46   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Tyres have a shelf life of 6 years if not left unused to deteriorate in the sun. The car doesn't stand idle, its used pretty frequently but doesn't cover much distances. The production date is 2 prior to the car's purchase date of Nov'2009.

My Palio's tyres developed cracks only after the tyres were 6 years old, so I was quite surprised to see the Goodyear's develop cracks in just 25K/4years.

With regards to changing tyres, we will stick to either of Bridgestone or Michelin.
Ideally it may be 6 years, but I doubt this is applicable to the OEM supplies which are never high end stuff. If the temperature variation is high with low humidity, 6 years is really pushing it.

Try Michelin XM2, life is pretty good and the newer 3 groove variants are said to be more silent.
Old 6th November 2013, 15:54   #515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post

Try Michelin XM2, life is pretty good and the newer 3 groove variants are said to be more silent.
Yes its down to choosing between XM2 vs Primacy LC vs MY02 vs RE88 vs Ecopia. Will decide in a few weeks.
Old 12th November 2013, 15:55   #516
Distinguished - BHPian

I was just randomly browsing through different tyre options for the Punto (14 inchers) and was wondering if anyone has tried out the 205/60 , 195/70 , 195/65 R14 tyres on a Punto. Will they scrape the car or are they ok?
Old 27th November 2013, 13:11   #517
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I need your inputs on tyre change for my Jan 2011 Punto 1.3 MJD EP.

Last yr while i was abroad my dad met with a small accident and the front left tyre burst. So he had to get it changed. He went to a local tyre store and that guy tricked my dad into buying some crappy "imported" tyres. And worst is, sold in pairs. So now my punto is running on 3 oems, 1 Chinese and 2 spare wheels (1 oem and 1 chinese)

Now i am royally pissed about the ride quality due to this mess and wanted to change them long ago but due to some or the other reasons it was postponed.

What i want to do is, get rid of 3 oems + 2 Chinese and get 4 tyres. Which ones should i look for?

All inputs welcome.

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 27th November 2013 at 13:12.
Old 28th November 2013, 10:41   #518
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Guys,

I need your inputs on tyre change for my Jan 2011 Punto 1.3 MJD EP.

Last yr while i was abroad my dad met with a small accident and the front left tyre burst. So he had to get it changed. He went to a local tyre store and that guy tricked my dad into buying some crappy "imported" tyres. And worst is, sold in pairs. So now my punto is running on 3 oems, 1 Chinese and 2 spare wheels (1 oem and 1 chinese)

Now i am royally pissed about the ride quality due to this mess and wanted to change them long ago but due to some or the other reasons it was postponed.

What i want to do is, get rid of 3 oems + 2 Chinese and get 4 tyres. Which ones should i look for?

All inputs welcome.

Regards,
Bridgestone, Michelin, Yokohama all make good tyres. This query has been answered many times over. Have a look at other posts and take a call after figuring out the price.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 11:02   #519
BHPian

Hi Guys,

The GT-3s on my 17-month old 90HP have done about 33k now. And I am planning to change the same this week.

I am pretty happy with the GT-3s so far especially for their robustiness. Not a single puncture yet (Hope i dont jinx them). However, since I have not driven on other tyres, I can comment on the noise/comfort.

I mostly do highways and used to high speed(100-120). I am planning to go for the GT-3s again. Good choice? Please advise.

Also, I got a quote for INR 4800 for the 195/60 R-15 GT-3. Is that fine?
Old 3rd December 2013, 11:52   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raneeth View Post
Hi Guys,
The GT-3s on my 17-month old 90HP have done about 33k now. And I am planning to change the same this week.
I could only do 10K Kms on my stock GT3s and sold them off to get Michelin Primacy in the same profile. A sea of difference between the two - softer compound means better ride quality, car feels lighter and absolutely no noise. Go for Primacy.
Old 4th December 2013, 00:50   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raneeth View Post
I am pretty happy with the GT-3s so far especially for their robustiness. Not a single puncture yet (Hope i dont jinx them). However, since I have not driven on other tyres, I can comment on the noise/comfort.

I mostly do highways and used to high speed(100-120). I am planning to go for the GT-3s again. Good choice? Please advise.

Also, I got a quote for INR 4800 for the 195/60 R-15 GT-3. Is that fine?
May I suggest these: http://yokohama-india.com/avs_db.html ?
nareshov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 15:12   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I was just randomly browsing through different tyre options for the Punto (14 inchers) and was wondering if anyone has tried out the 205/60 , 195/70 , 195/65 R14 tyres on a Punto. Will they scrape the car or are they ok?
I've put 205/60/R14 ES100 on a punto active. No issues with scraping etc.
WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 16:13   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Since your requirement is out and out performance I will suggest you try the 195/60-15. As of now, based on initial reports, there is no better tyre for performance in that size.

It is expensive though. You could also consider the Yokohama C drive and A drive which are fantastic VFM.

Apart from that, your list sounds like a magic wishlist which does not exist! You want grip, you have to be prepared for a few puncture as a soft compound is more prone to punctures.
I have changed my OEM Acceler with Y-C Drives from Tyre Store, Greams Road. ODO at change was at 40000 KMS.

I immediately noticed..
  • Super Silent
  • Comfy
  • Better Grip on braking

Also, i felt the tyre flexed more than accelere on corners. Is something I imagine or the tyre's design?

Thanks much!
Old 9th December 2013, 17:43   #524
BHPian

I've noticed that the Abarth version in Europe run 17" rims with low-profile tyres. Has anyone 'experimented' with this setup on the Indian Punto? Does it bottom out? Is a suspension kit upgrade absolutely required to keep it from bottoming out?
Old 9th December 2013, 23:40   #525
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshanker View Post
I've noticed that the Abarth version in Europe run 17" rims with low-profile tyres. Has anyone 'experimented' with this setup on the Indian Punto? Does it bottom out? Is a suspension kit upgrade absolutely required to keep it from bottoming out?
The outer diameter of the tyre is what matters the most when it comes to scraping (width and offset also matter).
There are lots of puntos on Indian roads with upgraded tyres, including mine, which are running on 205/60R15 tyres (while some more guys have gone still bigger).
These are appoximately 25 inches in diameter.
Without a GC upgrade that's about the safe limit. So if you choose 17inch alloys, the rubbers should be 4 inches thick.
If you feel that 4 inches is too less in terms of comfort, then you will need a GC upgrade to make more room.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 9th December 2013 at 23:42.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks