Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2014, 20:53   #556
Senior - BHPian

re: Fiat Punto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I am looking for changing the tyres of my Punto since the car is now 3 years old. Have decided to go for 185/70R14.

I am considering the following brands - Yokohama A drive, MRF Zlo and Appolo Acelere. From these, which one will give better grip and ride comfort?

--Anoop
I'd suggest you upgrade to 15inch rims + 195/65-15 or 195/60-15 tyres. It is worth every penny you pay for the 15inch upgrade. 4 rims will cost you 4K but you should get some money back for the old 14inch rims as well.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 12:33   #557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
I'd suggest you upgrade to 15inch rims + 195/65-15 or 195/60-15 tyres. It is worth every penny you pay for the 15inch upgrade. 4 rims will cost you 4K but you should get some money back for the old 14inch rims as well.
That was the initial plan bro, but I have decided to stick with R14 because lack of Vitamin M.
Old 26th June 2014, 14:00   #558
BHPian

Friends,

I've booked a Punto 90HP Emotion edition and taking delivery of the car within couple of days.

The stock comes with 195/60/R15 Apollo Acceleres or JK Tyres depending on your luck. I'm not sure whether the spare is a space saver or a proper sized one for 90HP emotion as I get mixed response during my search.
(I heard the Sports edition comes with space saver ).

If the car comes with JK, I'm planning to change them straight away.

if it's Apollo, I would need your advice whether to retain or change them?

And, Which one do you recommend for comfort and less noisier ride? Michelin or Yoko or Apollo (to retain)?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by nfsfreak : 26th June 2014 at 14:08.
Old 26th June 2014, 15:25   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
I'm not sure whether the spare is a space saver or a proper sized one for 90HP emotion.
if it's Apollo, I would need your advice whether to retain or change them?
By Space saver do you mean lower sized rims. If so, yes 90HP comes with 14" spare wheel.

Apollos are good tyres for rugged terrains as well as smooth tarmac. They are though noisier on the higher side. Michelins are best for less road noise but come with soft walls and hence more prone to punctures. Yokos too exhinit a similar characteristic. I would suggest stick to Apollo and replace it once you hit 30K kms. Thats what I have planned for in my Punto.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 15:53   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
By Space saver do you mean lower sized rims. If so, yes 90HP comes with 14" spare wheel.
Yokos too exhinit a similar characteristic. I would suggest stick to Apollo and replace it once you hit 30K kms. Thats what I have planned for in my Punto.
Thanks Ghodlur. I'll stick on to Apollo then if the car comes with that. If it turns out to be JK, I'll replace it with Michelins.
Regarding the 14" spare, I would replace it immediately then to match the other stock tyres.
My concern is would there be enough space to accommodate 195/60/R15 sized wheel instead of that 14" spare wheel?
Old 26th June 2014, 16:01   #561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My concern is would there be enough space to accommodate 195/60/R15 sized wheel instead of that 14" spare wheel?
Should be possible although the tyre will snug fit and removing it will be a bit of a challenge. I had tried doing this and had sweat heavily while removing it. One more issue is that alloy spare will not fit in coz the tyre retaining screw isnt fitiing enough for an alloy wheel, so you will have to get a steel rim only inside the well.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 16:12   #562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Should be possible although the tyre will snug fit and removing it will be a bit of a challenge. I had tried doing this and had sweat heavily while removing it. One more issue is that alloy spare will not fit in coz the tyre retaining screw isnt fitiing enough for an alloy wheel, so you will have to get a steel rim only inside the well.
Thanks for the confirmation Ghodlur.
FIAT deserves 100+ for this.

Though spare is only for occasional use, what if I get stuck in a remote place or in the night where I have to cover considerable distance to find a tubeless puncture shop!!!
Old 26th June 2014, 17:05   #563
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Though spare is only for occasional use, what if I get stuck in a remote place or in the night where I have to cover considerable distance to find a tubeless puncture shop!!!
If you are going to a puncture shop (or puncture repair shop rather ), you can easily do it with one odd sized tyre without worries.

In fact you can easily run pretty long distances with an odd sized tyre though it not recommended. The difference in heights will be around 15-20mm. Its almost like running with one badly worn out tyre.

Space savers are not new or not unique to Fiat, all companies use this as a means of cutting costs. All said and done, it is always better if all 5 are of the same size.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 17:10   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
If you are going to a puncture shop (or puncture repair shop rather ), you can easily do it with one odd sized tyre without worries.
Thanks Hemanth. yes, Punture repair shop indeed .
Old 26th June 2014, 18:39   #565
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I am looking for changing the tyres of my Punto since the car is now 3 years old. Have decided to go for 185/70R14.

I am considering the following brands - Yokohama A drive, MRF Zlo and Appolo Acelere. From these, which one will give better grip and ride comfort?

--Anoop
Those were the exact same options I had in mind 3 months ago!

After a ton of research I had decided to upgrade to Apollo Aceleres in 185/70R14 when I wanted to replace the stock JK tyres in April. The main reason for selecting the Aceleres was that I found them to be good all round tyres. Good grip, good life, good price.

However they werent in stock and hence I went in for the A drives (my close second choice) based on the recommendations of the good folks at Madhus. ZLos were my distant third option because I had read plenty of good and bad reviews of the tyres both on this and other forums and didnt want to take the risk.

I would suggest you stick to either the Apollos or the A drives. You cant go wrong with either. I just found too many bad reviews of the ZLOs online which made me uncomfortable.

My review of the A drives from my post on Madhus thread -
Wrt the tyres, they are definitely a big step up in terms of grip and noise reduction as compared to the OEM set. Braking distance has come down noticeably and it was fun chucking the car around in the few curves between Palakkad and Trichur. Mileage seems to have dropped a bit though. I've always read about how X tyre was better than Y in terms of ABC parameters but for the first time I have actually experienced it .
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 15:50   #566
BHPian

Hi,
Superb thread. Answered a lot of questions.

Here's one question that hasn't been answered (I think).
I have a Punto MJD Active. Total running about 30K kms over 2 years.
My rear right tyre is almost bald, and the left one is in average shape.
The front two tyres are in decent shape, though these have had punctures as well (multiple).

However, over the past few months, there have way too many punctures. The rear tyre have got 3-4 punctures in this month it self. Today, one of the old punctures gave way and the tyre went flat. Same tyre had 4 punctures last week.

Now here are the options I am considering:
1. Buy 1 new tyre - JK OEMs. Throw away the rear right tyre - which is bald. Put the front two tyres in the rear, and put the new tyre and the the stepny (which is brand new) in the front two wheels. This is good budget wise. My front two tyres would be new, and rear would be old ones.
Is this ok safety /longevity wise

2. Buy 2 new tyres, put them in the front tyres. put the current front tyres into the rear wheels. In this case, can I put in BS/Conti in the front and leave JK in the rear? Or should I have same tyres across all tyres?

3. Replace all 4 tyres, and put in Bridgestone B290 or Continental CC5 - same profile as existing ones - 165/80R14

4. Upgrade to a wider profile - 185. This would require all 4 tyres to be upgraded.

- Are the tyre options - Bridgestone B290 or Continental CC5 good? Cost wise they are pretty much the same (~3500).
- Would it be better to go in for 185? Options for the same?

Too may options. Too much confusion.

I make a lot of long drives. Multiple Pune-Mumbai drives. High speeds on E-way. Bi-annual goa trips. Multiple Pune-baroda trips. Major driving on highways and city roads. very limited driving on rough terrain. Would prefer lower tyre noise, and wet grip. Safety is paramount.

Please advise!
Old 22nd July 2014, 12:11   #567
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest to go for wider profile , same diameter tires in the interests of safety.No point changing 2 tires and all 4 tires not being in sync .
Tires should be in A1 condition at all times , go for good quality premium tires , there is lots of information available about each brand and variant here.
Old 14th September 2014, 02:48   #568
BHPian

Guys,

At the cusp of 50 K kms and my 2010 punto MJD is begging for new shoes, the old ones..OEM JK Tyres have gone bald and awry all of sudden ( I can't believe I managed 50K kms on crappy JK Tyres) . I now have flat spots on two of my tyres and swelling on one of them. Need to quickly change them now as ride quality has degraded massively. the car tends to wobble and bounce around low speeds uptill 70 kmph.

I am considering 195/60 R15 for OEM Emotion Pack Alloys (bought them from a friend for my active). After skimming thruogh the thread my preferred tyre is Yoko C drive.

1. Can somebody tell me whats the best price for them in Delhi and where ?

2. Do we have any deals on C drives or comparable option that can be considered for a sweet deal ?

I am in a hurry as I need to get the tyre issue sorted within this coming week itself.

Better4worse
Old 29th November 2014, 17:07   #569
Senior - BHPian

On stock steel rims that are available on the GP, does anybody know what the rim width of the stock steel rim is ? By any chance is it 5.5
Old 31st January 2015, 14:31   #570
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello people,

I have Pirelli P7 Cinturato 225/45R17 tyres on my Punto(its too big I know).

2 months back I hit a protruding stone at high speed and it damaged the tyre (there was a cut on the sidewall). I had patched it and put it on the rear. It was a risky move but was taken because of finanacial reasons(17inch branded tyres are ridiculously expensive)

Now, as feared, that patch is not holding air at the recommended pressure. I'm running on an odd sized puny stepney.

I want one tyre of the same spec but unable to find it in 4 reputed shops in Bengaluru. I didn't find it on changemytyre.com too.

Can anyone help me in sourcing this tyre?
What is the risk of running same brand but a different tread pattern on one tyre (P1 cinturato is available)?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks