Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2013, 17:01   #496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiS
Hi this thread has been very informative. I have a Punto MJD which has been serving me well for last 43K KMs and the OEM Goodyears (195/60 R15) my survey over last couple of weeks has led me to a choice between Bridgestone and MRF ZLO's

I drive the car most in city in Mumbai with an occasional trip to Pune.

Any opinions on what's best for Punto MJD?
I was in the same dilemma when my stock Goodyear GT3's were due for a change after 51k kms. I had almost finalised the ZLO's but eventually went for Yokohama ES100. awesome tyres and are available in 195/60/15.
Old 14th July 2013, 23:38   #497
RS2

Hi everyone. This is my first time here and I have few queries. Ive just bought a brand new MJD dynamic and got the tyres and rims changed. Now I have got Yokohama 195/65 R 15 on Alloys bought from local vendor. My queries are as follows:
1. I want to ensure that allows are of 98 PCD. Is there any way of knowing?
2. Before gittibg tge alloys, they painted the internal discs in chrome, is it normal?
3. Will this ( tyre change) not result in reduced mileage?
4. Will this change of tyre and alloys result in any dort of loss of warranty?

Regards
Old 28th July 2013, 11:41   #498
BHPian

re: Fiat Punto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

If anyone using 185/70 R14 tyres on punto, kindly inform the air pressure you are using in the tyres. How is the long term performance?
Old 30th July 2013, 23:45   #499
BHPian

Need help deciding between 195/60R15 and 185/65/R15.

After about 74KKM my punto is now ready for its third set of tyres. The history has been like this:

1. I had changed to Michelin Primacy LC 195/60R15 immediately after buying the car. The tyres ran till 40K with only couple of punctures throughout their life.

2. My first tyre change at 40K was Yokohama ES-100 205/60R15. They are running set of tyres on my car now with after nearly 34KKM need replacement. I am quite happy with their performance.

Now I have been to this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...errated-4.html

After reading through I have decided to get the next change as a size downgrade to 185/65R15 but upgrade the compound.

Now my driving style is 50%city/highway and I have DieselTRONIC installed which I keep in P2 mode 80% of the times, I think this explains how the car is driven. But I drive safe.

Need everybodys help in deciding between 185/65R15 and 195/60R15.

The benefits of 185 section which I see are:
1. Enhanced Zippiness
2. Increased comfort
3. Better mileage

The only downside (looks are not important to me) little less braking efficiency I want to counter through better compound and corrected air pressure.

Awaiting advice.
-Rohit
Old 31st July 2013, 11:11   #500
BHPian

After quite a bit of deliberation, I finally decided to replace my aging stock GT3s with Yokohama AVS DB v550 195/60R15.

Other tyres considered were Michelin Primacy LC (too expensive), Michelin Primacy 3 ST (not released, expected to be too expensive), Yoko C. Drive AC01 (close, but AVS DB is probably the better tyre in every aspect except cost).

Bought the tyres at Millivisions off JC Road. Superlative buying experience - strongly recommend Millivisions.

Paid 5100 for each tyre - this was the best rate that I could get - had checked with Sai Iyengar, Madhus/Tyre Profs as well. My thread-bare GT3s fetched me Rs. 100 each - which may be on the lower side, but am willing to grin and bear it. Was charged 75Rs / tyre for balancing and 300 Rs for alignment. Net damages - Rs 20500 for four tyres.

Tyres are still very new to post an opinion on them. I am still driving around gingerly since I am not really sure of how much grip the new tyres will offer vs. my old GT3s which were very good on grip. I will follow up with a review on the V550s once they settle down.
Old 1st August 2013, 16:24   #501
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
After reading through I have decided to get the next change as a size downgrade to 185/65R15 but upgrade the compound.
For a 185 section on a Punto, this sounds good.

However, the reality of it will come down to what tyres (185 and 195) are available in the size you want, fit in your budget, and what the price advantage or compound advantage is.

I can't really comment on that without seeing the offerings.

In terms of the logic behind your thoughts - it makes sense. Its a minimal difference between 195 and 185 anyway. However, do keep in mind that you'll be stepping down from a 205, so it might take you a little time to get used to the change (lighter steering, perhaps a slightly less planted feel on the road) - but these aren't disadvantages, just differences.

cya
R
Old 11th October 2013, 17:17   #502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post

Paid 5100 for each tyre - this was the best rate that I could get - had checked with Sai Iyengar, Madhus/Tyre Profs as well. My thread-bare GT3s fetched me Rs. 100 each - which may be on the lower side, but am willing to grin and bear it. Was charged 75Rs / tyre for balancing and 300 Rs for alignment. Net damages - Rs 20500 for four tyres.

Tyres are still very new to post an opinion on them. I am still driving around gingerly since I am not really sure of how much grip the new tyres will offer vs. my old GT3s which were very good on grip. I will follow up with a review on the V550s once they settle down.
Kamikaze, Can you update on the performance of your Yoko V550s on the Punto? I had changed my stock tyres at 13000kms to Yoko C-drive. The tyres have been serving me well for the last 31000kms. However, I see the thread wear is high and the grip on the road is not as good as before. Since 90% of my usage is highway runs, I am planning to change all 4 tyres over the weekend.

But I was surprised that many people were able to go upto even 55000 kms in their Apollo accellres etc. My Yoko C drive has worn out at 31000 kms. I will post a picture tomorrow. I may still be able to run another 5K kms inside city. But I am not too confident of the tyres for highway run.
Old 14th October 2013, 09:36   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Kamikaze, Can you update on the performance of your Yoko V550s on the Punto?
I have run the v550s for approx 4k kms now. My stock GT3s survived some spirited driving for a little over 42k kms.

The first 750 kms on the v550s were fairly dissapointing. Tyre noise was as much as the GT3s and the ride quality was not really improved. I think this was a combined effect of the hard new rubber and the fact that I filled in Nitrogen which probably did not put in quick heat cycles for the tyre to bed in.

Anyway, after 750 kms and a few normal air top-ups, the tyre began to settle down and feel much more quieter and smoother. Right now, at 4k kms, the ride quality is drastically improved and I can glide over potholes that I previously thudded through.

In terms of grip (both wet and dry) and cornering ability, I feel that the v550s are able to easily match the GT3s and could be slightly better as well. I have only done short highway runs on these tyres and the tyres have held their own during cornering or braking. Too early to comment on tyre wear.

I now run the tyres at 30psi at the rear (instead of the recommended 32psi) after the rear passengers complained of a hard ride over potholes. But this could be just my driving (I am not used to having rear passengers ). Another downer is that these tyres are stone-magnets. I have given up trying to extract stones after each run and have resigned myself to constantly hearing the sound of stuck stones hitting the road. Appreciate if anyone has an easy solution to this problem.

Hope this helps!
Kamikaze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2013, 16:01   #504
BHPian

Hello Everybody!

It's time to change shoes in my punto 2010 MJD. So far it ran 38K KMS with OEM Apollo Acelere ( 195/60 R 15). All 4 tyres have decent tread to run another 5-10 K easily. But the problem is the puncture.
Including spare wheel, all of the picked up min one puncture so far and one particular tyre alone got 4th one last night.

I planning to change the tyres (all 4 of them) together and here is my requirements with ranking... Please help with right resources (Shops in Chennai, online deal etc.. )

1. Dry/Wet Braking
2. Cornering performance
3. Resistance to Punctures ( existing one acts like a magnet)
4. Road noise
5. Mileage

Thanks in advance...
R
Old 15th October 2013, 22:53   #505
Distinguished - BHPian

Since your requirement is out and out performance I will suggest you try the 195/60-15. As of now, based on initial reports, there is no better tyre for performance in that size.

It is expensive though. You could also consider the Yokohama C drive and A drive which are fantastic VFM.

Apart from that, your list sounds like a magic wishlist which does not exist! You want grip, you have to be prepared for a few puncture as a soft compound is more prone to punctures.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 17:13   #506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Since your requirement is out and out performance I will suggest you try the 195/60-15. As of now, based on initial reports, there is no better tyre for performance in that size.

It is expensive though. You could also consider the Yokohama C drive and A drive which are fantastic VFM.

Apart from that, your list sounds like a magic wishlist which does not exist! You want grip, you have to be prepared for a few puncture as a soft compound is more prone to punctures.
Nikhil which tyre are recommending first .i did not understand from your post .
I think there might a typo or name missing in your post.can you clarify.
Old 17th October 2013, 23:24   #507
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry! I meant the Michelin P3ST.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 13:40   #508
BHPian

Thank you @Nikhil bhai... Just one query. Will it help to increase the GC by going for 195/65 instead of 195/60 in my Punto. Advantages/Disadvantages please.

Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 15:25   #509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS2 View Post
Hi everyone. This is my first time here and I have few queries. Ive just bought a brand new MJD dynamic and got the tyres and rims changed. Now I have got Yokohama 195/65 R 15 on Alloys bought from local vendor. My queries are as follows:
1. I want to ensure that allows are of 98 PCD. Is there any way of knowing?
2. Before gittibg tge alloys, they painted the internal discs in chrome, is it normal?
3. Will this ( tyre change) not result in reduced mileage?
4. Will this change of tyre and alloys result in any dort of loss of warranty?

Regards
Was the Dealer Onkar Tires?
I am 100% sure that you have 100 PCD rims.
Are you facing any problems like wobbling at speeds above 80-100?
Old 5th November 2013, 12:32   #510
BHPian

Hi All,

I am looking to upsize my Punto Tyres from my current 185/70 R14 to 195/65 R14. The current Tyres are Yoko A.Drive (Driven 38K) and would like to change to Bridgestone Potenza GIII. I have the steel rims and is it okay to upsize to this size. Please let me know if this is recommended.

Reason to change from Yoko to Bridgestone: the current tyres are prone to puncture too much. The side walls felt weak, but the Highway drive is comfortable. My Drive is 50:50 for City:Highway.

Thanks,
Sandeep

Most Viewed