Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2009, 08:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Fiat Linea - 10.5k for a single OEM alloy rim. Is it worth?

I have got a 2 months old Fiat linea. Somehow one of the alloy rim has got slightly bent, As a result the ride is slightly bumpy. Now i have taken the alloy wheel and put it as rear wheel. The bumpiness has reduced a bit but not fully gone. I had ordered the alloys from concorde.The dealer told me that it would cost approx 6k. Now the alloys have come and he is quoting 10.k for a single alloy rim. The stephny is a non alloy rim so i cannot exchange that too and put it as my wheel. So i want to know is it worth going for this alloy?. Given that the alloy now present is only very slightly bent will it have some unforseen consequences on my vehicle if i continue using it?. Please guide me....
Old 21st July 2009, 08:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

10.5K seems to be a steep figure for a single alloy wheel. You can get a quote from a different dealer or better as Fiat India for MRP on their alloy wheels.
Old 21st July 2009, 09:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

i would advise you to change the alloy wheel. driving with a bent wheel may be dangerous.

if you find the price too steep, go for new alloys for your car. you will get 4 wheels for around 15k. if not, then as dieselfan said, search in a few more places.
Old 21st July 2009, 09:58   #4
BHPian

10.5k is very expensive for a single alloy, but I suggest you get the bent one changed in any case, even if it does not actually damage the car, I think it'll keep bothering you mentally that you are driving with a bent alloy.
Old 21st July 2009, 10:01   #5
BHPian

I guess FIAT alloys have a PCD of 98 -so getting aftermarket ones with the same PCD would be difficult .
Old 21st July 2009, 10:06   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
I have got a 2 months old Fiat linea. The dealer told me that it would cost approx 6k. Now the alloys have come and he is quoting 10.k for a single alloy rim. So i want to know is it worth going for this alloy?
Geeash,

Keep doing the rounds of your local tyre shops for an exchanged set and convince them to sell you a single piece . Ravveendrra in Hyd picked up 4 OEM rims for 13k as per his thread below. Till then, use the stepney.

Much cheaper than paying 10.5k to FIAT (if that is the FIAT MRP; check that first!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1282676
Old 21st July 2009, 10:37   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Post the specs & a pic of the type you want. Others can check it out too.
Also, pick up 2 rims.
Old 21st July 2009, 10:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

pic is here for reference

Last edited by geeash : 21st July 2009 at 10:56.
Old 21st July 2009, 15:22   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Geeash, OEM alloy wheels are always expensive. The grey market has habituated us into paying 18K for a set of 4 alloys, but OEMs are typically priced 8 - 13K for most C-segment sedans. Ajmat's OHC alloys cost him in the whereabouts of 12K in 2007 (IIRC) and, believe it or not, a Jeeper bought a single Mahindra Classic alloy wheel for 7,500!

My suggestion to you is to get a brand new alloy wheel for regular use. Repair / straighten your bent alloy wheel and use it as a spare. I know some big tyre shops that do a pretty good job of alloy wheel repair, am sure you could find someone in Chennai too.

Alternatively, if you don't have any no-claim bonus on your insurance, you could claim.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2009, 15:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Its best if you get yourself a new set of alloys.
1. You have what you like on your car.
2. The OE alloy has "Somehow" got bent, as you have mentioned. You pay a bomb for the single wheel and have to live with the fear of when the next "somehow" happens.
3. If you still like the OE wheels, speak to the best tyre shops in town and buy the full set of four wheels. Someone might have swapped the OE wheels for aftermarket ones.

Last edited by beejay : 21st July 2009 at 15:36. Reason: missed something
Old 21st July 2009, 15:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

Check with alloy and tyre dealers in your city, they must be having the same in stock as someone might have exchanged them for different alloys. Else, go for aftermarket alloys. I have no idea how widely 98 PCD is available.
Old 22nd July 2009, 08:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My suggestion to you is to get a brand new alloy wheel for regular use. Repair / straighten your bent alloy wheel and use it as a spare. I know some big tyre shops that do a pretty good job of alloy wheel repair, am sure you could find someone in Chennai too.
Thatas what i was thinking too. But i have been hunting throughout chennai for alloys repair shop. where ever i go i get a reply " alloys cannot be repaired saar".

Didnt think of checking out for OEM alloys at tyre dealers. will check that out too.
Old 22nd July 2009, 09:03   #13
BHPian

I would say pay for it and get it changed. OE alloy wheels are very very expensive (except for Ford Fiesta may be). Honda City charges 65K (set of 5) for their original alloys. Considering the fact that you now have a chance to change 1 alloy (some companies don't have that kind of support but you have to change the whole set) I would say, go for it.

Alternatively you may have to spend 18-20K for similar alloys if you go for outside the market options. Of course there are very good options out there but you will miss your FIAT logo. And I thought, Linea's alloys are attractive!
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:35   #14
BANNED

Ashwin

My suggestion is to go for a new OEM alloy & repair the bent alloy to use it as spare. This leaves you with 1 more spare wheel (your normal non-alloy stepney). You can keep that as 2nd spare or trade it which will bring down your net cost.

I always claim insurance & never bother about no-claim bonus. However in this case am not sure, if you claim insurance, do they take back the bent wheel or do they allow you to keep it. If the insurance cover is full 100% then you can even go for it. In that case your net cost will work out to be around 5-6K for letting go no claim bonus

Last edited by VahanPujari : 22nd July 2009 at 10:37.
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

Geeash

I would advise to shift that alloy for the spare tire.

Normally, the alloys don't get damaged so easily and especially the OEMs are usually rugged. Can you post a pic of the damaged alloy ?

Have u noticed any air leakage in that wheel ?

Alloys can be repaired but it needs specialized equipment and personnel. Get in touch with Esteem_lover or Nitrous in Chennai.

10.5k is mighty expensive..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks