Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2010, 12:08   #16
BANNED

Hyundais have 30 as default on almost all their cars.

The bunk gauge is as accurate (ladies please excuse) a ladies intuition. Keep your own gauge. I use my own pump (~Rs.800) powered by the lighter socket and gauge. Bunk air if often full of moisture.
Old 17th March 2010, 13:02   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
^^^Looks cool; but at what price? Can you share some more details like the battery life & how it works etc?
Rs.2400 in Pune, with a 1 year warranty. I got it about 6 months ago, and no problems yet (touchwood!). The BHPian who told me about it got his pump 2 years ago, and it's still going strong without any issues. So battery life seems to be more than decent.

Mode of operation (in cold condition):
1. Turn your key till the ignition point, without actually cranking the engine.
2. Insert one of the pump cables in your vehicle's 12V lighter socket.
3. Pre set whatever pressure you want in the device.
4. Attach the other cable to the tyre valve. The display will show the existing pressure. If it's more than what you want (which is rare), you'll have to manually reduce it using the nozzle of this cable.
5. If it's less than the recommended pressure, start the device. The pump will fill air in the tyre till the pre set presssure is reached.
6. Switch off. Repeat on other tyres. The whole process takes less than 5 minutes, including the spare tyre.

You can get similar devices in the market for less than Rs.1000 too, but not sure how sturdy/reliable/accurate they are.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 17th March 2010 at 13:04.
Old 17th March 2010, 13:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Thanks, look cool & I hope I get some attachments to pump air to my motorcycles too; I'm some how dissatisfied with filling air at the petrol pumps; now days they say the machine doesn't work even though the meter shows 23 or 33;

Let me enquire about such a system here in Chennai.
Old 17th March 2010, 13:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
^^^ Thanks, look cool & I hope I get some attachments to pump air to my motorcycles too.
You can use the same inflator for your bike. Just park it next to your car, hook up the pump to the 12v socket in the car, and fill air in your bike tyres using the other cable. I do it every week. :-)

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 17th March 2010, 13:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
5. If it's less than the recommended pressure, start the device. The pump will fill air in the tyre till the pre set presssure is reached.
I have 2 questions:

1) Does it jump around while filling tires?

2) Why not keep the engine idling while using this device?

tia,
-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 17th March 2010 at 13:38. Reason: questions
Old 17th March 2010, 13:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
does it jump around while filling tires?

-BJ
It vibrates a little, but it definitely doesn't "jump around"!

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 19th March 2010, 02:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Most of the prople dont care how much air goes into the tyre. I have noticed that only at Shell bunks, the attendants ask the recommended pressure.

A coupla days ago i had a heated argument with the manager, attendants and even some customers of a BPCL bunk near my place. Their machine was not calibrated. I asked the attendant to topup to 35psi in my bike rear tyre. The machine showed the current pressure as 22 although i filled it a week ago. I even asked the atendant if the machine was ok. I went on my way and realized that the ride was hard and bumpy. Came home and checked with a guage and it showed 50psi. Went to shell and it showed 49.x psi. I went back and asked the manager to shut down the pump. A few people came and started arguing, the 17-18yr old attendant abused me in local lingo and tried pushing me and walking off.. I caught his arm and squeezed it very hard till he howled. Big mistake on my part. This was followed by threats of calling the cops. I told them to go ahead and call them and made myself comfy there after shutting down the pump. Needless to say everyone went their way. Before all this i had asked the manager for the Phone # of the regional inchage office which he refused to give.
2 yrs ago they had filled excess air in my new wagon r due to which a tyre burst at over 100 and the car toppeled over. It was a wrieoff and seatblets made sure my bro and parents came out without a scratch. I had given a complaint to the manager in regards to this and they never got back to me. I didnt followup either.
I had visited the bunk after 2yrs thinking they may have changed! I was mistaken!
The owners dont care bout this and support their men. I want these people to be taken to task. But What do i do? I can lodge a complaint with bpcl but i dont have the attendant or managers names.
Very good! Few months ago, I wrote to the concerned officer of BPCL about an improperly wrongly calibrated gauge at a COCO here. At first I spoke with her on phone. She asked me to send a email with all details, which I did. Other complaints were about he bunk not issuing bills from the dispensers, numbers of BPCL officers (for complaints) not displayed at the bunk. Nothing came out of the complaint. Have not heard a thing from them nor has anything changed at the bunk.

If you still want to contact BPCL, check out their website. The numbers of sales officer, etc., were are not displayed even at this pump (I guess its mandatory, but not followed). It was not available on the website either. So I had to call up the other numbers there and get the numbers from them. You can try the same.

It seems grossly mis calibarated air gauges are the norm and neither the oil companies nor most (by far) customers consider it a remotely serious issue.
Old 29th March 2010, 16:34   #23
BHPian

For swift with normal (OE) tyres the pressure should be 33 psi. I have upgraded my tyres to yoko es 100 195/55/r15, so guys what pressure should i maintain on this tyre front and rear.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks