Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2009, 10:36   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
You have to buy a new tyre. You should thank your luck that this didn't happen at 20k Kms. You would have had to buy at least a pair then.
Why would one have to by a pair of tyres when one has failed. Michelin do sell tyre in single pieces.
Old 24th August 2009, 11:04   #17
BHPian

I had a similar problem and was advised to immediately change the tyre. I did so back then but also kept the damaged tyre. about 6 months ago one of my tyre got lost tread due to lower arm issue. I knew i had to buy at least 2 tyres even though the other 3 were good. got a weird idea the had a look at the old damaged tyre to my surprise the cut was very small hence got a puncture job done in my supervision. The tyre has done almost 8000 kms since then and no issues.

Hence my advise, check the tyre from inside to check how big is the cut if its small do a regular tubeless puncture.
Old 24th August 2009, 11:14   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Why would one have to by a pair of tyres when one has failed. Michelin do sell tyre in single pieces.
Because old tyres would have significantly more tread worn off. You don't want one new tyre and one tyre that is 20000 km old, at least in front. You would run into all sorts of balancing/ride/handling issues.
Old 24th August 2009, 11:26   #19
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Actually you can change one tyre as long as the size and type are the same. However, as pointed out changing in pairs has its advantages.
Old 24th August 2009, 12:31   #20
BHPian

Well I think I'll buy a new tyre then. I already have a spare tyre which is in good condition- but is not tubeless and is on stock rim. So, I think it is not worth to spend money on the damaged tyre. I will just keep it in my garage just in any case in future I need it.

Thanks everybody for the help.

Last edited by archat68 : 24th August 2009 at 12:36.
Old 24th August 2009, 12:33   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydude View Post
A month old Michelin XM+1 cut off by a rickshaw puller.

archat68!! Go to the dealer and show him the cut. Don't tell him about the incident. Let's see what he has to say about it. You might be the lukcy one to get a replacement free of cost.

These tyres are strong enough for a small pointed pin. And moreover yours are brand new.

I think you should get a replacement free of cost. Else tell the dealer that you would be writing to the headoffce about the incident.

I am pretty sure the Michelin would give you replacement free of cost, if not the dealer.
Earth to funkydude!

What you are suggesting is fraud. Why make the company pay for your bad luck? If you meet with an accident and someone rams the back of oyur car when you are at a traffic signal, will you take your car to the service centre and ask them to give you a rear bumper free of cost because it is new?

What rubbish!

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th August 2009 at 18:26. Reason: Toning down the unnecessary parts of your post a bit.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2009, 15:06   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Earth to funkydude! Earth to funky dude! This is a call for you to return from whichever planet you are on and return to Planet Earth.

What you are suggesting is fraud. Why make the company pay for your bad luck? If you meet with an accident and someone rams the back of oyur car when you are at a traffic signal, will you take your car to the service centre and ask them to give you a rear bumper free of cost because it is new?

What rubbish!
Nikhilb2008!! No hard feelings please.

But this ain't fraud. Will not take your comments personally.

Buddy!! We Bhp'ian's are here to help if need arises. I did not suggest anything illegal. Sorry!! if my comment hurts you in anyways.

Mod's....if you find my comments not appropriate then please remove my previous reply to this thread.
Old 24th August 2009, 17:07   #23
BHPian

Found this site on tyre damage repair:

Tyre Damage - Tyre Repairs
Old 24th August 2009, 17:16   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydude View Post
Go to the dealer and show him the cut. Don't tell him about the incident. Let's see what he has to say about it. You might be the lukcy one to get a replacement free of cost.

These tyres are strong enough for a small pointed pin. And moreover yours are brand new.

I think you should get a replacement free of cost. Else tell the dealer that you would be writing to the headoffce about the incident.

I am pretty sure the Michelin would give you replacement free of cost, if not the dealer.
Funkydude, I guess you are of the firm belief that tyre dealers and tyre company reps are kindergarten kids who would follow whatever you say. Get real dude,if not all,most tyre dealers can tell you of an injury on the inside of your tyre without even taking it off the rim if you go to him showing a bulge on your tyre's sidewall.Forget knowing what an external cut is. Besides all replacements are made by the company,not the dealer. Unless of course you buy tyre's from him on credit and he fleeces you on every sale,then he would not flinch.

While I appreciate your 'intent to help a fellow BHPian' what you're doing is misleading the guy and giving him false hope instead of giving the right advise.

Last edited by WasavaTyres : 24th August 2009 at 17:20.
Old 17th September 2009, 17:16   #25
BHPian

Take it to a good tyre repair shop and have it inspected by an expert. Radial, tube type and tubeless are repaired for injuries world over. But there are certain limitations which a good tyre repairman knows and would reject such tyres which are beyond salvage.
Old 17th September 2009, 18:21   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn48001 View Post
Take it to a good tyre repair shop and have it inspected by an expert. Radial, tube type and tubeless are repaired for injuries world over. But there are certain limitations which a good tyre repairman knows and would reject such tyres which are beyond salvage.
Do not ever do such a thing, even if the so called experts suggest that it can be fixed.You will be risking your safety, the safety of the occupants, the safety of other motorists and pedestrians on the road, all for just 3K.
Old 17th September 2009, 19:30   #27
BHPian

No worry! Already replaced the tyre.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2013, 10:43   #28
BHPian

Re: Sidewall cut in tubeless tyre - repair possible?

My dad tore the sidewall on his car's tyres - hit a diesel generator platform while turning. He said he visited a tyre dealer on White's Road in Chennai (I'm guessing Lal's?) who patched it using some vulcanising process. Is this safe?

Attaching some pics of the tyres. First one is a tyre that was done earlier. Second one was done recently.
Sidewall cut in tubeless tyre - repair possible?-clipboard01.jpg

Sidewall cut in tubeless tyre - repair possible?-clipboard02.jpg
Old 21st May 2013, 12:12   #29
Senior - BHPian

if done well and used with a tube inside its ok for a replacement but not as a regular tyre. I am using one with a slightly smaller patch as a spare for close to 4 years now and it is holding up real good.
Old 21st May 2013, 14:07   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Eddy View Post
My dad tore the sidewall on his car's tyres - hit a diesel generator platform while turning. He said he visited a tyre dealer on White's Road in Chennai (I'm guessing Lal's?) who patched it using some vulcanising process. Is this safe?

Attaching some pics of the tyres. First one is a tyre that was done earlier. Second one was done recently.
Attachment 1086041

Attachment 1086042
Sidewall is that part of the tyre which constantly flexes as the wheels rotates. THe faster you go the higher the rate of flex per minute. With normal and non damaged tyres itself there is a risk of tyre burst if tyres are not inflated to correct pressures.

The car looks like a Linea, which is capable of good speeds. Why take such a risk? A tyre burst at even half decent speeds can be catastrophic. You are not only putting yourself but other road users at risk too. Please scrap those tyres immediately and get new ones.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed