Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2013, 15:07   #31
BHPian

Re: Sidewall cut in tubeless tyre - repair possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Eddy View Post
While the first one seems ok, the second repair job is not safe IMHO. In fact you shouldn't even have mounted it onto your rims. Looks like the front left tyre of a Linea. This is downright dangerous considering it's a sidewall repair combined with the kind of summer heat you have in Madras. Swap it asap, for the sake of both, your car and other road user's.
WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2013, 00:38   #32
BHPian

Thanks for all the inputs
I was already of the impression that sidewall repair should not be done. As I said this is my dad's car and he's not car-savvy, so like any average car owner he just took it to a decent tyre shop and they said repairing it was fine. I did not know he had repaired the sidewalls till he told me, so I was just cross-checking if there have been any new developments in sidewall repair or the old advice still holds.

Last edited by Crazy_Eddy : 22nd May 2013 at 00:42.
Old 26th July 2013, 14:58   #33
BHPian

Cut in tire tread - repair feasible?

My Apollo accelere tire lost air all of a sudden while driving today. After unmounting the tire it was found that there is a cut in the treadwall of approx 1.5inch (across the tread). The damage seems more like a crack rather than a cut.

The tire guy said he can repair it. But I'm a bit skeptical - is it possible to repair the tire?

Is such kind of damage covered under warranty?
Old 26th July 2013, 22:50   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
My Apollo accelere tire lost air all of a sudden while driving today. After unmounting the tire it was found that there is a cut in the treadwall of approx 1.5inch (across the tread). The damage seems more like a crack rather than a cut.

The tire guy said he can repair it. But I'm a bit skeptical - is it possible to repair the tire?

Is such kind of damage covered under warranty?

Don't repair the tyre. It has lost its structural integrity and is gone for good. If the side wall tear indeed originated from a crack and if your tyre is under warranty then you may try for a warranty replacement. But don't use the tyre.
Old 26th July 2013, 22:59   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Don't repair the tyre. It has lost its structural integrity and is gone for good. If the side wall tear indeed originated from a crack and if your tyre is under warranty then you may try for a warranty replacement. But don't use the tyre.
Thanks!
I'm going to replace the tyre tomorrow.
BTW the crack or damage is not on the sidewall it's on the treadwall.
Old 26th July 2013, 23:04   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Thanks!
I'm going to replace the tyre tomorrow.
BTW the crack or damage is not on the sidewall it's on the treadwall.
What is treadwall?

If you mean the main tread area which Will be in contact with the road surface then I strongly suggest you hold your ground and push for warranty replacement. Don't let the tyre company wriggle out of this. The case is tilted more in your favour now.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 23:09   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
What is treadwall?

If you mean the main tread area which Will be in contact with the road surface then I strongly suggest you hold your ground and push for warranty replacement. Don't let the tyre company wriggle out of this. The case is tilted more in your favour now.
Yes it is the tread area in contact with road.
Old 30th July 2013, 17:45   #38
BHPian

There is small side wall cut on my front left tyre. As you can see it in pic its about 2-3 Cms. It’s not deep and tyre is not losing any air. I am monitoring it for last 10 days since I observed this crack. There is no bulge either. Its Michelin XM2+, one year old and done around 27K. Looks like 20k kms life is still left.

I am not in a mood to buy single new Tyre unless absolutely necessary but planning Ladakh in 2 weeks’ time.

Is it possible to repair it? Or is it Safe to use it as is? Please advise.
Attached Thumbnails
Sidewall cut in tubeless tyre - repair possible?-tyre.jpg  

Old 30th July 2013, 21:59   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitvp View Post
There is small side wall cut on my front left tyre. As you can see it in pic its about 2-3 Cms. It’s not deep and tyre is not losing any air. I am monitoring it for last 10 days since I observed this crack. There is no bulge either. Its Michelin XM2+, one year old and done around 27K. Looks like 20k kms life is still left.

I am not in a mood to buy single new Tyre unless absolutely necessary but planning Ladakh in 2 weeks’ time.

It looks like only a surface damage. It doesnt look like the structure of the tyre is damaged.

It looks fine but I would suggest you buy a a new tyre because you are planning to go to Ladakh. You can use this tyre as a spare.

Even if you dont buy a new tyre, I think you should be good to go.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2013, 10:26   #40
LLL
BHPian

Michelin seems to be prone to sidewall damages. My XM2 suffered a cut yesterday and i dont remember hitting or touching anything. I was getting my car refueled when passerby pointed out deflated tyre. saw a sidewall cut :(
Old 7th September 2013, 11:07   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I second what Nikhil has said, this seems to be a superficial damage only.
Structure is intact.
By the tire thread status, it should do 40k kms easily.

Quote:
For Ladakh, its better to have this tire as a spare.

Quote:
Safest option is to run it as it is. (for normal routine drives, not Ladakh)
Repairing will only disrupt its structural strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
Michelin seems to be prone to sidewall damages. My XM2 suffered a cut yesterday and i dont remember hitting or touching anything. I was getting my car refueled when passerby pointed out deflated tyre. saw a sidewall cut :(
Fingers crossed !
2 weeks back, got a set of XM2s. I'm keeping a close eye on any damage, the roads after monsoon ain't helping the matter either.
Old 7th September 2013, 11:45   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Safest option is to run it as it is. (for normal routine drives, not Ladakh)
Repairing will only disrupt its structural strength.

Fingers crossed !
2 weeks back, got a set of XM2s. I'm keeping a close eye on any damage, the roads after monsoon ain't helping the matter either.
Came back from Ladakh Trip last week. Used the tyre as it was. Now the cut has widen, no bulge as yet. Not loosing the air either. Now they are 35kms old. Will use it for another 5k kms within city and replace all four tyres. Other 2 tyres are good, did not suffer any sidewall cut or even puncture. 1 tyre had 3 punctures.
Old 7th September 2013, 11:56   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Came back from Ladakh Trip last week. Used the tyre as it was. Now the cut has widen, no bulge as yet. Not loosing the air either. Now they are 35kms old. Will use it for another 5k kms within city and replace all four tyres. Other 2 tyres are good, did not suffer any sidewall cut or even puncture. 1 tyre had 3 punctures.
Glad to know it didn't cause any problem during the Ladakh trip.
Sorry I didn't notice your post date before replying.
Old 7th September 2013, 11:57   #44
Senior - BHPian

My son's Figo also had a sidewall cut on the left rear XM2 that had only 3600 clicks on the odo. As a result there was a slight bulge, which started growing in a couple of days.

When I took it to the Michellin dealer, he got the tyre dismounted and checked if the cut extended to the inner surface. If it did not, then there was a chance of warranty claim. In my case, it was cut inside too. This apart, there was a slight mark on the alloy wheel below the spot where the bulge was located. As there was no chance of warranty, I bought a new tyre.

By the way, it is not Michellins and Yokos alone that are prone to sidewall cuts. Even my WagonR's bridgestone had a sidewall cut. As it was superficial, I've put a tube in it and using it for the past year. The car is driven only in city and never above 80 kmph, so I did not encounter any issues on it so far, except a couple of simultaneous punctures a month ago. I got the tube replaced together with WA and WB/ WR.

Last edited by vnabhi : 7th September 2013 at 11:59.
Old 10th September 2013, 12:04   #45
LLL
BHPian

I am getting a tube put in my cut tyre. Only 2 months/800 kms old.

Most Viewed