Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2017, 11:29   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Sidewall cut in tubeless tyre - repair possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM_360 View Post
Upon close inspection, cut is about 3 cms long and 2-3 mm deep but at an angle of about 30-45' about sidewall face.
The cut looks big enough and it may expand at it looks deep too. Best option (obviously next to replacing with new one) is to put a tube inside it and use it as a spare tire. Putting it on front axle is a definite no-no.

Regards,
Saket.
Old 30th June 2017, 11:41   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM_360 View Post
Hello everyone, I got a sidewall cut on one of the Michelin XM2 tyres, used on Ritz VDi. It happened about more than a year back. This set of tyres have covered about 50000 kms and still have about 40% life left.
The sidewall is the most important part of a tyre. It is the one that takes all the forces while cornering, driving over potholes, speed breakers and whatever else. If you are syaing you have 40% of the tyre life left, I presume you are talking about the tread. Tread depth only one of the measurements for tyre wear. A cut like what you have on your tyre makes it unsafe to drive on the roads. Though you may not have any air pressure loss or bulging etc., the tyre could give way at any time thereby risking not just you, but others on the road as well. Yes, it is a tough, but I would suggest that the tyre is destroyed so that it is not "fixed" and sold to someone else, thereby retaining the risks.
Old 27th December 2017, 17:36   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Tyre Guru Nikhil - Saw this rupture in the front right tyre sidewall. How big can it get or how dangerous can it get ? Advise please !!
I am having a similar issue with my tyres -

Sidewall cut in tubeless tyre - repair possible?-earth1-1.jpg

Sidewall cut in tubeless tyre - repair possible?-earth1-2.jpg

Bought it about ten months back and used for about 3000 odd kms.

No idea how the damage occurred. There is no damage to the alloy (wheel).

Took it to the local Yokohama dealer, who said it was only a surface cut and can be used. There is no pressure / air leakage. However, I am not too sure about driving around with the tyre in this condition... will get it replaced.
vrprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2017, 19:34   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
However, I am not too sure about driving around with the tyre in this condition.
Our resident tyre guru Nikhil and most Bhpians would agree that this tyre has no place in a car, more so in a Bhpian's. Using it would be an open invitation to danger. Please change it forthwith.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2017, 21:01   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
....the local Yokohama dealer, who said it was only a surface cut and can be used. There is no pressure / air leakage.....
Opinions on the extent of damage may vary, but it's indisputable that the integrity of the sidewall is now compromised.

That patch with flex unnaturally - compared to an intact sidewall - with every rotation of the tire, and there's no telling when the sidewall fails.

It may last years, or it may blow tomorrow. Would you want to drive around with that question on your mind?
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2017, 13:27   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
...... that this tyre has no place in a car, more so in a Bhpian's. Using it would be an open invitation to danger. Please change it forthwith.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
....... that the integrity of the sidewall is now compromised.

........ Would you want to drive around with that question on your mind?
Agree with both of you - but, perhaps my post wasn't clear?

Quote:
However, I am not too sure about driving around with the tyre in this condition... will get it replaced.
I have got it replaced

The details are here -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post4329585

- BTW, apart from the damaged tyre, I got the rear two C.drives also replaced. Not a penny was paid for the old tyres - both were in good conditions, used for about 20,000 kms and were about five years old. Reason for no value for old tyres - Municipal Corporation has started levying penalty on various dealers for storing junk / scrap, as these are found to be breeding places for mosquitoes, leading to dengue etc.
vrprabhu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2018, 15:28   #97
BHPian

I have sold my Ritz along with the older set of michelins with the cut. They were running just fine. Though I have warned the buyer about the cut and wished him good luck with his new acquisition.
PSM_360 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 17:07   #98
BHPian

A colleague of mine had the misfortune of getting a side wall damage on his brand new Ford FreeStyle. Here are the pics
Sidewall cut in tubeless tyre - repair possible?-img20180820wa0004.jpg

Sidewall cut in tubeless tyre - repair possible?-img20180820wa0003.jpg

Sidewall cut in tubeless tyre - repair possible?-img20180820wa0002.jpg

He's thinking of moving this tyre to the stepney and running on the spare tyre for immediate purposes.
What options exist in terms of repairing this tyre? I've asked him not to continue running on this tyre even though a Ceat Shop mechanic has told that it's fine to keep using it !

Will he get any buy back value for this tyre given that it is practically brand new (less than 200kms)?
Old 20th August 2018, 17:29   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangre View Post
He's thinking of moving this tyre to the stepney and running on the spare tyre for immediate purposes.
Damaged tyres need to be replaced. Period. Using this one as a spare tyre will once again expose your friend (and the car's passengers if any) to a risk of a tyre blow out whenever it is fitted.

Quote:
What options exist in terms of repairing this tyre? I've asked him not to continue running on this tyre even though a Ceat Shop mechanic has told that it's fine to keep using it !
Some tyrewalas may advise fitting a tube and continue using it. Wrong advice again. Tubeless (I assume it's a tubeless tyre as a large majority are) tyres are not supposed to be run with tubes. It can have unintended & unpleasant consequences.

Ask him not to take risks with his life and that of others. 4-5K spent on a new tyre is well worth it in the long run for the sake of safety. Why risk your life/lives for this sum of money?

Also ask your colleague to Google for fatal accidents due to tyre failures on the Mumbai - Pune Expressway if he needs more convincing.

Quote:
Will he get any buy back value for this tyre given that it is practically brand new (less than 200kms)?
He can always ask the tyre dealer. Some may and some may not offer a buy back.

Last edited by R2D2 : 20th August 2018 at 17:31.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 17:45   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangre View Post
A colleague of mine had the misfortune of getting a side wall damage on his brand new Ford FreeStyle.

The tyre shops at JC road can vulcanize it restore it, but no one can guarantee the quality of work. It will always be a risky chance. Since the tyre is damaged, you will not get a very great deal on this, you will have to scrap it for what ever value you get.
girimajiananth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 19:30   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Damaged tyres need to be replaced. Period. Using this one as a spare tyre will once again expose your friend (and the car's passengers if any) to a risk of a tyre blow out whenever it is fitted.

Yes, I agree. It's just that since it is such a new car, it is a bit of a pinch to already replace a tyre. But, there is no argument to continue using it. Period.

Quote:
He can always ask the tyre dealer. Some may and some may not offer a buy back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
The tyre shops at JC road can vulcanize it restore it, but no one can guarantee the quality of work. It will always be a risky chance. Since the tyre is damaged, you will not get a very great deal on this, you will have to scrap it for what ever value you get.

I understand. The tyre is definitely on its way out.
Old 6th November 2018, 17:23   #102
BHPian

I discovered a small and shallow cut in the side wall of my Michelin Primacy 3ST today. The cut is not perpendicular to the surface(it is at an angle to the side wall of the tyre) and is not very deep (approximately 1-1.5millimetre or so at its deepest).

Since it was one of the driven tyres (front right), I replaced it with the spare from the boot. The tyre is approximately 1 year old and and has hardly lost any tread.

Sidewall cut in tubeless tyre - repair possible?-img_20181106_110651471.jpg

What can be done with it? Vulcanization?
Puncture patch ?

Suggestions are welcome !

Cheers !

Last edited by Ironhide : 6th November 2018 at 17:26.
Old 6th November 2018, 17:37   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
I discovered a small and shallow cut in the side wall of my Michelin Primacy 3ST today. The cut is not perpendicular to the surface(it is at an angle to the side wall of the tyre) and is not very deep (approximately 1-1.5millimetre or so at its deepest).

Since it was one of the driven tyres (front right), I replaced it with the spare from the boot. The tyre is approximately 1 year old and and has hardly lost any tread.

What can be done with it? Vulcanization?
Puncture patch ?

Suggestions are welcome !

Cheers !
Any damage to the sidewall is definitely not safe to be continued to drive with. Do not try to mend this or line it with anything. See if you can have this replaced under warranty.
swissknife is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 18:16   #104
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Any damage to the sidewall is definitely not safe to be continued to drive with. Do not try to mend this or line it with anything. See if you can have this replaced under warranty.
Absolutely.
Change the tyre immediately. There is no question of repairing a sidewall cut.
Mighty dangerous.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 14:22   #105
BHPian

I had an incident yesterday. While taking a left turn around a street corner (a compound wall is present here), I presumably went too close to the wall. Result is a reasonable scratch kind of thing (not sure what else to call it) to the rear left tyre sidewall. Damage doesn't seem to be deep at all. It is like a few layers of the rubber is gone (in the area). Looks good to drive around, without changing. Any suggestions?

PFA the pics of the street corner and the tyre damage.

This street corner is within 100 metres of my house, and, I've been driving/riding around this corner almost every day for the past 3.5 years, but, I've never noticed this protruding from the wall at the bottom. I have always taken the wall into consideration while turning. But, I agree that this time, I went too close to the wall.

PS: The incident happened in the night. So, pardon for the image of the street corner. And, I've taken the photo of the tyre in the morning. No loss of air pressure.
Attached Thumbnails
Sidewall cut in tubeless tyre - repair possible?-img20190217221437.jpg  

Sidewall cut in tubeless tyre - repair possible?-img20190218090806.jpg  

Sidewall cut in tubeless tyre - repair possible?-img20190218090714.jpg  

Most Viewed