Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2009, 22:41   #1
BHPian

Sidewall cut in tubeless tyre - repair possible?

A cycle rickshaw hit one of my one month old Michelin XM+1 tyre today and the tyre sidewall got cut in a result .

As the tyre is new I want to know if it is possible to repair the tyre and use it after putting a tube inside it or I have to spend 2.4K again within one month?

Tyre gurus please advise.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2009, 23:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Possible or not- it is not safe and hence not advisable. I had to change a 1 month old Yoko S.drives coz of something similar
Old 23rd August 2009, 23:09   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Repair isn't an option or possibility, but if you can post a picture of the cut, one could judge if it is serious or not. You might choose the option of using it as your spare tyre.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2009, 00:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
A cycle rickshaw hit one of my one month old Michelin XM+1 tyre today and the tyre sidewall got cut in a result .
How did the cycle rickshaw take out your tyre?? Which the pointed middle thingy of their rims??
Old 24th August 2009, 06:41   #5
BHPian

Another similar query here -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ewall-cut.html
Old 24th August 2009, 09:04   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Repair isn't an option or possibility, but if you can post a picture of the cut, one could judge if it is serious or not. You might choose the option of using it as your spare tyre.
The cut is about 1 ch in diameter and is deep - actually all the layers got cut and the tyre got totally deflated as a result of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
How did the cycle rickshaw take out your tyre?? Which the pointed middle thingy of their rims??
I was waiting in a signal near my house. The wheels were pointed slightly outward. A cycle rickshaw tried to squeeze through the narrow space. It's rear wheel had some sharp screw type thing protruding in the middle. It got stuck in my tyre - he instead of stopping tried to pull the rickshaw out of it and my tyre got cut - so deep that it caused the total deflation of the tyre.
Old 24th August 2009, 09:06   #7
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

not worth the effort. too dangerous. just chuck the old one and replace the same!
Old 24th August 2009, 09:09   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Definitely not. Sidewall damage esp in a radial has only one remedy - replace the tyre. This goes for both tubeless and tubed.
Old 24th August 2009, 09:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Have got sidewall cuts patched on Eagle f1s , AD-07s , S-drives.So its definitely possible.
Dont risk it at higher speeds.Use it as a spare for emergency only.
binz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2009, 09:17   #10
BHPian

A month old Michelin XM+1 cut off by a rickshaw puller.

archat68!! Go to the dealer and show him the cut. Don't tell him about the incident. Let's see what he has to say about it. You might be the lukcy one to get a replacement free of cost.

These tyres are strong enough for a small pointed pin. And moreover yours are brand new.

I think you should get a replacement free of cost. Else tell the dealer that you would be writing to the headoffce about the incident.

I am pretty sure the Michelin would give you replacement free of cost, if not the dealer.
funkydude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2009, 09:20   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
The cut is about 1 ch in diameter and is deep - actually all the layers got cut and the tyre got totally deflated as a result of this.
You could consider using this with a gaiter patch repair (1 inch is just about manageable) and a tube in place, as your spare tyre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
not worth the effort. too dangerous. just chuck the old one and replace the same!
Of course, this would be the best option, if the most expensive.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2009, 09:39   #12
gpa
Senior - BHPian

My views echo that of many others. Please get the tyre replaced. Its not safe to have it patched up. Rs. 2.4k is a meagre amount but will go a long way in terms of safety of people.
Old 24th August 2009, 10:22   #13
BHPian

You have to buy a new tyre. You should thank your luck that this didn't happen at 20k Kms. You would have had to buy at least a pair then.
Buy a new tyre, and repair the old one. Use the old one as an emergency at speeds strictly below 45 kmph.
Old 24th August 2009, 10:28   #14
SCH
BHPian

No choice but to replace the tyre. There is no way this can be fixed properly; My advice to not compromise on your safety and get it replaced immediately.
Old 24th August 2009, 10:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydude View Post
A month old Michelin XM+1 cut off by a rickshaw puller.

archat68!! Go to the dealer and show him the cut. Don't tell him about the incident. Let's see what he has to say about it. You might be the lukcy one to get a replacement free of cost.

These tyres are strong enough for a small pointed pin. And moreover yours are brand new.

I think you should get a replacement free of cost. Else tell the dealer that you would be writing to the headoffce about the incident.

I am pretty sure the Michelin would give you replacement free of cost, if not the dealer.

No way Michelin will even entertain side wall cuts. They are very conservative on warranty replacements. Threatening dealer on such cases will not yield any result.
DieselFan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed