Team-BHP - Slightly Bent Rim - trouble?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Tyre & Alloy wheel Section (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/)
-   -   Slightly Bent Rim - trouble? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/64471-slightly-bent-rim-trouble.html)

Was driving in the Bangalore city was driving about 40-50kmph and there comes this BIG pothole. Before i could react, the wheels went in, the shocks bottomed out and a big crank sound.
Did a check on the wheel when i got back and I saw a small bend on the rim. When i say bend - the external edge was slightly bent. Does not look very bad, but it is noticeable.
The air pressure seems to be stable and no noticeable loss in pressure.

Could there be a problem? Any other issues that may have popped up? Am planning a long drive in two days. Should i replace the tyre with the spare?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vista_qjd (Post 1457219)
Was driving in the Bangalore city was driving about 40-50kmph and there comes this BIG pothole. Before i could react, the wheels went in, the shocks bottomed out and a big crank sound.
Did a check on the wheel when i got back and I saw a small bend on the rim. When i say bend - the external edge was slightly bent. Does not look very bad, but it is noticeable.
The air pressure seems to be stable and no noticeable loss in pressure.

Could there be a problem? Any other issues that may have popped up? Am planning a long drive in two days. Should i replace the tyre with the spare?

if the airpressure is remaining constant, then u need not get the bend repaired. but you should consider getting the wheel balanced. due to the bend a lot of weights might be required.

btw, a bend on a steel rim (if not major) can be repaired in delhi for Rs.100 and for a alloy in Rs.200. I had a similar situation (bend rim) but in my case the air pressure (i am on tubeless) was decreasing by 10psi a week, after the treatment all the wobbles are gone and so has the air pressure problem.

1). Which car? Steel rims or alloys?

2). Tubeless or tubetype.

If it is tubeless, make sure there is no air leaking. If it is bent very slightly, then just get your wheels balanced and put the bent wheel at the back. If it is bent badly, make that rim your permanent spare rim.

If it is steel rim and the bend is very minimal, then you can just get it banged into shape with a hammer. You can also get the bend removed by taking it to a place which offers the rim bend removal service.

If by chance it's an alloy wheel, I will NOT recommend bend removal. It will weaken the alloy. Just change the bent rim with your spare rim. If you have only 4 alloys, then bad luck! You will need to buy a new rim or live with the bent rim at the back of the car.

Thanks for your replies... The rim is only slightly bent. It is a steel rim with tubeless tyres. Based on your replies, i will get it balanced on my next visit to the tyre wallah. In the meanwhile will switch it with the brand new spare.

Hi vista_qjd,

I also had this problem on my M800 and got it fixed during wheel balancing. Get it done as soon as you can.

Hi Guys,

Am running my i10 Asta on stock Rims and tyres (8500K old). TLs on Steel rims.

Last weekend had taken it out for a long drive, hence set 35 Psi as I will runnign full heavy. After I had covered about 450+ Kms, Hit a pothole that appeared out of nowhere, and the next 5 seconds realized that I was running flat on the left front, changed into the spare, and found that the rim had dent in one place, and without inflating, my tyre looks a little out of shape (a small bulge near the bent point).

My Qns:

1. Should I get tyre checked as well (MRF).
2. Will all MRF dealers do a rim straightening (especially here in Chennai), or should I replace the rim?
3. Should I get the alignement checked as well (am due for an alignment check in my third service in March '10)

Hi,

During the long weekend went over a HUGE pothole @80+ kmph and got front LH & rear LH rim bent :Frustrati on Chennai-Banglore highway. Front was too bad & replaced with spare wheel. Rear was small dent managed to take the wobbling car to nearby tyre shop (200 metres) and got it hammered.

I am planning to change both these rims as they have been abused twice & were straightened by hammering similarly. Any idea as to how much would a R14 RIM cost. A nearby spare parts shop in Velachery, Chennai has quoted 1050 for one RIM (make : Wheels India)

Currently vehicle has crossed 40K on stock rims & goodyear tyres.

Quote:

Originally Posted by faridsahmed (Post 3213484)
Hi,

During the long weekend went over a HUGE pothole @80+ kmph and got front LH & rear LH rim bent :Frustrati on Chennai-Banglore highway. Front was too bad & replaced with spare wheel. Rear was small dent managed to take the wobbling car to nearby tyre shop (200 metres) and got it hammered.

Currently vehicle has crossed 40K on stock rims & goodyear tyres.

Since you have got that again & again, why not plan for alloys?:D Will be helpful in case of tubeless tyres too.
Now since, the geometry of the rim will not be perfect, you can expect the car to vibrate and give a not-so-smooth ride.

Once about 3 years ago, I changed 12 inchers on my car for about Rs. 500/- IIRC. Not sure of the current prices though. Shifted to alloys soon after.

Quote:

Originally Posted by faridsahmed (Post 3213484)
went over a HUGE pothole @80+ kmph and got front LH & rear LH rim bent. Rear was small dent managed to take the wobbling car to nearby tyre shop (200 metres) and got it hammered.

If the rim was completely fixed by hammering, no deformations are apparent, and your tubeless tires aren't losing air, you should be able to make do with your current rims. BTW, are you referring to dents like these:
http://www.mindspring.com/~wheelbend...msample02a.jpg

You should, however, consider switching to tube tires on your next tire change, just in case. You can get alloys as they don't get deformed as easily but if they do get bent, it may not be possible to hammer the alloys back into shape. There's not much one can do other than to slow down in areas with poor roads and carefully watch for potholes.

Hi all,

I got 2 new R14 rims for 900 each from VAS motors, GP road, Chennai. I got all my rims inspected and shuffled the tyres on rims too with new rims doing duty on front.

Attached is the image of badly bent rim.

Quote:

Originally Posted by faridsahmed (Post 3218858)
Hi all,

I got 2 new R14 rims for 900 each from VAS motors, GP road, Chennai. I got all my rims inspected and shuffled the tyres on rims too with new rims doing duty on front.

Attached is the image of badly bent rim.

Gosh! That is worse than I expected when you posted first. Feel lucky, since you created that with 80+ kmph speed. 900/- looks reasonable for 14 inchers though.

Drive safe mate!

Guys, Something struck me Monday night, and after shooting my resignation email to my boss at 3 in the morning, i started for Goa from Bandra at 3:30 AM on my 2+ years old VW Vento. Took the NH4 highway to Goa but somewhere along the way, the car hit a pothole and after reaching Goa, i realized that i have a dented wheel (Attached pics). Fortunately, air pressure seems fine till this point, and its been almost 20 hours since i hit goa. I plan to leave for Mumbai on Friday/Saturday.

Now my knowledge about cars is very limited and so my first question is how serious it is? Secondly, do i need to get it fixed before starting for Mumbai again or it could wait till i reach Mumbai and i get it fixed there? Finally, if it has to be done in Goa, then any suggestions which workshop to go for in Goa?

Why don't you just use the spare wheel and keep the damaged one as spare. The picture upload seems to have not worked, so can't comment about the damage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 3234354)
Why don't you just use the spare wheel and keep the damaged one as spare. The picture upload seems to have not worked, so can't comment about the damage.

dude, here are the pics. had some problem uploading pics, so actually created another post..pls check this link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...eel-rim-3.html