Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2005, 21:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

tyre calculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan
Thanx alot Aseem. Your post was really very helpful. Now i am upgrading to 205 in 15inchers. Wether its 55 profile or even 50 i dont care much about that since 5 lesser profile wont do much to comfort. If i keep profile 55 then my GC will increase by 5.5mm and if i decrease it to 50 it will decrease to 4.8mm and that means the car will stand at 168.5 mm from ground which i think is a bit less. Since with 173mm GC the car has still touched breakers. Tomorow the tyre dealer will tell me the final tyres which are available after speaking to Bridgestone company. Also 195/55/15s are not available in Bridgetstone. ***.

Also it would be nice if you could list the formula for calculating Ground clearance and Speedo Error. Thanks a million once again.
No Problem pleasure is all mine. Actually I am an active reader of this forum too, and I too feel that even though the information we get is really great, but I think at times its too wordy and so technical that we dont know what to do with that information and how to imply it. Rarely do people mention prices, pros and cons, but we get a good general idea. So when I try answering questions I always want to "Keep it simple, keep it real".

So here we go with the tyre calculator link:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html

This is pretty simple, you enter the values and you see the difference in specs. Make sure you select the proper metric as we generally measure things in milli meters. Now easy way to calculate the difference in ground clearance is to subtract the radius of the two tyres. The difference in radius is the ground clearnce. Hope this helps
Old 15th July 2005, 21:40   #17
BANNED

Hey Thanx alot Aseem.

Here is some info..

Current Tyres - 195/55/15 Kumhos Powermax 769

Pros - None

Cons - Road noise, poor ride and they smell like burnt rubber even after slow speed driving.

Need for change for better rubber like bridgestone. Better grip at high speed driving. Bettering handling. Ride if possible as well.

Current tyres being taken for around 1500Rs. depending on the condition. New tyres will cost upwards of Rs. 3500.
Old 15th July 2005, 21:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan
Hey Thanx alot Aseem.

Here is some info..

Current Tyres - 195/55/15 Kumhos Powermax 769

Pros - None

Cons - Road noise, poor ride and they smell like burnt rubber even after slow speed driving.

Need for change for better rubber like bridgestone. Better grip at high speed driving. Bettering handling. Ride if possible as well.

Current tyres being taken for around 1500Rs. depending on the condition. New tyres will cost upwards of Rs. 3500.
Juan 1500 for used tyres is a great price. Peace of caution though, please dont buy from a non official dealer without bill, as they are really not worth it. With a dealer you get tyres that are slightly higher in cost, but you get 3 years warranty and peace of mind. Bridgestones as far as my research tells me dont offer 195/60/15 or 195/55/15 in Bridgestone Potenza GIII. They have a tube option available in this size, but it doesnt look "foreign" and has a desi tread pattern.
Now better grip and high speed driving and no burning smell can be easily achieved by Goodyear Ventura, NCT 5 and GSD 1 2 3, however these tyres are famous to wear at 20k as they have a softer compoud (better handling and performance). They also have more noise compared to bridgestone, but I have seen many users are happy with their Goodyears and dont complain about noise. So its a dicy situation there. However the size you are looking for would be easily available in Goodyears. They will be cheaper than Potenza GIII and also more foreign looking.
If you take my advise, just go for them. Rest I leave on to you, I have treid to lay out an honest picture.
Hope this helps....!!!
Old 15th July 2005, 22:25   #19
BANNED

Hey Thanx Aseem,

Well the dealer i am talking about is a official dealer. Have taken tyres from him before and they werenot a problem. I have no problems with Goodyear as well as long as i get the size. GIIIs are available abroad in 205/55/15 dont know whether i will get them here. Since tyres have not run too much i am getting the price of 1500Rs. On the site which you gave where do i get the GC??
Old 15th July 2005, 22:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

The ground clearance is dependent on the car. So if your car has 170 mm GC with your current tyres. And changing the tyre would result in a decrease in Radius of the new tyre by 5mm, than that is the change in your GC, thats how its calculated.

Old Tyre Radius - New Tyre Radius = Change in Ground Clearance

Actual Ground Clearance with old tyres +/- Change in Ground Clearance = New GC
Old 17th January 2006, 16:32   #21
BANNED

[SIZE=2]If I go in for 15/55/195 or 15/55/205 on my Optra, will it void my warranty? [/SIZE]

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks