Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2012, 12:18   #91
BHPian

Re: Wheel Alignment & Balancing

My car have slight steering wobble above 90-100kmph , infact I can see the steering wobble . What could be the problem? Is it because balancing has gone wrong?
Old 19th September 2012, 13:40   #92
Senior - BHPian

The computerised wheel alignment pic you have put up is a generation or two old. Many alignment centres are now moving to 3D Wheel alignment or Camera based wheel alignment.[/quote]

Hey Nikhil,
Which is the better one among the two you have quoted? Camera based or 3-D?
And can you give some reasons behind it?
I had been to Bosch Car service yesterday and they had 6-CCD based alignment system which they say is the best. Hence this question to you.
Old 19th September 2012, 15:33   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
If i understand alignment correctly, then it does not matter whether it is done before changing tyres or after. The reason is that alignment settings are not done for the tyres at all - its more for the suspension, and how the tyres touch the road. So, technically, it should not matter.

In fact, one could argue if alignment needs to be done at all, if you are changing tyres. I guess its just a common practice to do alignment when changing tyres, because it ensures uniform wear and tear, and hence increases the life of the tyres - more importantly when you are investing a high amount in new tyres.

Would wait for the other experts also to pitch in.
Thanks a mill Deep, takes away some doubts from my mind. The Tech was right I believe as measuring the alignment with the old tyres would give an indication of off alignment looking at the tyre wear
Old 19th September 2012, 20:28   #94
BHPian

I have clocked 5k Kms on my new swift and wanted to go in for tyre rotation. Is wheel balancing and alignment necessary to go along with it?
Old 15th October 2012, 12:04   #95
BHPian

Bhpians from Chennai, can anyone suggest a good center for doing alignment/balancing ? Would prefer somewhere in OMR if available or else anywhere in City
Old 15th October 2012, 13:02   #96
Senior - BHPian

From what I understand, wheel balancing is required only when the tyre is removed and refitted from the rim for any reason. But my MASS guys do it religiously during every wheel rotation and alignment. They say it is necessary. Fine! But what is the need to balance the stepney once again, which was balanced and kept inside during the previous rotation, and is coming out only now?
Old 15th October 2012, 13:43   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
My car have slight steering wobble above 90-100kmph , infact I can see the steering wobble . What could be the problem? Is it because balancing has gone wrong?
Definitely and can be attributable to uneven tyre wear/tyre damages or could be due to disc damages.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 13:46   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian
Bhpians from Chennai, can anyone suggest a good center for doing alignment/balancing ? Would prefer somewhere in OMR if available or else anywhere in City
The best place for wheel alignment and balancing is Lal brothers on whites road and roypettah. They are one of the pioneers in this field.
zwift1819 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 17:18   #99
BHPian

Note from Mod: There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the board experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 8th November 2012 at 17:32.
bullboy is offline   Received Infraction
Old 16th December 2012, 19:40   #100
Senior - BHPian

Guys posting my alloy wheels query in this thread.I am actually in a funny dilemma.I am in the process of hiring a car washer from next month to do cleaning services for my car.Now this dude,who also cleans one the building members cars, is kind of short and climbs on the alloy wheels of the owners car (Fluence) to reach the top.

My query is whether such a habit cause issues with the alloys with respecting to balancing etc.

thanks all
Old 16th December 2012, 20:34   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Guys posting my alloy wheels query in this thread.I am actually in a funny dilemma.I am in the process of hiring a car washer from next month to do cleaning services for my car.Now this dude,who also cleans one the building members cars, is kind of short and climbs on the alloy wheels of the owners car (Fluence) to reach the top.

My query is whether such a habit cause issues with the alloys with respecting to balancing etc.

thanks all

No, climbing on the wheels wont cause any harm to alignment or balancing.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2012, 14:33   #102
BHPian

My front shock is due for replacement in 2 weeks but I am pretty sure my balancing or alignment is due as the car wobbles at speeds above 80. If I go for alignment/balancing now, do I need to do it again once the shocks are replaced?
Old 3rd April 2013, 00:30   #103
BHPian

i have tried a dozen shops around JC road indira nagar banglore and none are able to do balancing for my bike alloys. does anyone know of a guy providing this service in bangalore.
Old 14th September 2013, 00:36   #104
BHPian

Looking forward to get my X1 and 525d aligned. Not too familiar with places in Mumbai. Would be great if anyone can suggest a place in the Juhu/Lokhandwala/Malad region.
Old 14th September 2013, 00:54   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
Looking forward to get my X1 and 525d aligned. Not too familiar with places in Mumbai. Would be great if anyone can suggest a place in the Juhu/Lokhandwala/Malad region.
2 places near Juhu that I frequent, both are in santacruz:

1. Saifee tyre shop. Does the balancing on machine, but alignment by HAND. Don't know why, but it works very well.. Premium cars are often seen there for their alignment purposes. I get my premium car done there as well. No issues till now in my alignment. Issue: pricey in my opinion, especially when you consider the other guy.

2. Straight line: The shop is in a sort of shabby area and first impressions are not going to be good, but the job done is very good. Most of my cars get the alignment done here due to the reasonable rates and a good job. Issue: the grease-monkeys will spoil your interiors somehow. You need to be stern with the guys there and tell very clearly that you will not like anyone entering just for their entertainment. Otherwise, they do an excellent job and will persist till you are satisfied.

Don't know any good shop in the lokhandwala or malad region. You can find both of these shops in the directory section.

Thanks,
Simple_car

Most Viewed