Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2010, 19:05   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

I think that has to do with the correct specifications. The readings printed by the alignment machine have to be this.

Also, the Baleno, as far as I know has rear wheel adjustments also. I think the toe can be adjusted for rear. Or is it camber? I'm not too sure... but it has rear adjustments for sure.
Old 1st March 2011, 23:07   #62
BANNED

Re: Wheel Alignment & Balancing

Is there any need for Wheel balancing on new rims (not alloys) ? I meant for the new replacement rims and not for the rims on the brand new cars just out from the showroom.
Old 3rd March 2011, 18:09   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Mithun, yes. Rims, like new tyres will need balancing.
Old 19th March 2011, 18:20   #64
Senior - BHPian

I have a newbie question, couldn't find the answer by searching for it.

To what extent should the car pull left, because of the slight incline of the road surface? How to judge that? I don't think there are many "level surfaces" to test if the car goes in a straight line, and when it pulls slightly to the left, I am not able to judge whether that is an alignment problem or because it is the slight leftward slope of the road itself.

I guess one can test it by driving on the wrong side of the road and see if the right pull is equally strong. But want to avoid this method, for obvious reasons
Old 19th March 2011, 19:23   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post

To what extent should the car pull left, because of the slight incline of the road surface? How to judge that? I don't think there are many "level surfaces" to test if the car goes in a straight line, and when it pulls slightly to the left, I am not able to judge whether that is an alignment problem or because it is the slight leftward slope of the road itself.

I guess one can test it by driving on the wrong side of the road and see if the right pull is equally strong. But want to avoid this method, for obvious reasons
The car should not pull at all on a good road. The slight incline on the road is supposed to be so "slight" that it should not affect the driving in any way. To perfectly test your alignment it is always recommended that you take your vehicle to a good alignment centre. All other tests are purely judgmental.
Old 25th March 2011, 01:37   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Also, most roads have a slight camber in them. If you know a perfectly straight road, go there and check it.
Old 25th March 2011, 11:17   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To what extent should the car pull left, because of the slight incline of the road surface? How to judge that?
It should not pull to the left at all.
When I first got my dzire vdi in July 2010 I had a similar problem and the MASS stated the same explanation i.e. the camber of the road surface is to the left so the car pulls that way. I have been driving for long and never faced the issue with my previous cars on the same road. So I asked them to do alignment but that still didnt help. The problem dissapeared after trye rotation at 5000 km.

Then I forgot about it till my 20 k servicing when tyres were rotated and the problem again cropped up.

Solution: switch left and right front tyresand solved
Old 25th March 2011, 21:50   #68
BHPian

Simple Question from me.
For the alloy wheels, there are 2 type of balance weights.
The usual clip type and the other is sticker type.
Which is better and why?
In case of clip type, will there be galvanic corrosion due to dissimilar metals?
Thanks in advance
Old 25th March 2011, 22:55   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

@Jidousha --- there is no such better thing. For normal steel wheels, clip on weights are better. For alloys, sticker weights are better. The clips dont react with the steel wheel to cause corrosion.
Old 26th March 2011, 14:12   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
The clips dont react with the steel wheel to cause corrosion.
Nikhilb2008, Thanks for the response. I was referring to the possibility of galvanic corrosion between the alloy rim and the balance weight.
I have seen several alloy wheels with clip type balance weights and was wondering whether this could lead to galvanic corrosion.
Thanks again

Jidousha
Old 26th March 2011, 23:33   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

No. The clip on weight used on alloys is different from the clip on weights used for steel rims. So, they will surely not react.

Sometime though if there has been a huge time lag between balancings, then some corrosion can be seen on the surface of the wheel due to a mixture of dirt, water and air. And this is not mainly caused by the weight but by the collection of corrosion causing factors for an extended period of time. Other parts of the steel wheel will have the dirt, water, etc washed away or removed during the course of running but the part which is covered by the clamp acts as an accumulation point for this.
Old 3rd April 2011, 22:39   #72
BHPian

Finally went to carnation chandigarh a few days ago for availing the wheel alignment and balancing (Rs 199 snapdeal coupon) for my Alto (After facing lots of hassels in getting appointment, had to write mails to carnation, details in another thread ). The guy removed the old weights by hitting them with a hammer. I had not paid attention to balancing before, so i thought this was normal. But when i went to Care Taker (MASS) for service, i saw them using a plier kind of thing to simply get hold of and pull out the old weights from the rim. This seemed much better and probably conserves the rim. Did my rim suffer because of the hammering at Carnation? Should i take my NHC to them for availing the same service or should i give up the coupon?

Another question: The mechanic and service advisor first only did the two front wheel balancing and left the rear as it is. When i asked them to balance the rear, they said only the front wheels need to be balanced. When i raised my voice only then they agreed to balance all 4 tyres. Was there any truth in what they said or were they just trying to make a fool of me because they were not going to get anything extra.
Old 4th April 2011, 01:09   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

1). A plier kind of tool is much better. No question about it. Of course, it also depends on the weights used. Sticker weights are usually removed by using a chisel kind of tool which is hit with a hammer or a heavier tool.

2). Since the steering is connected only to the front, most places suggest only front wheel balancing as rear wheel vibration and wobbling will not be felt by you. However, if it is badly out of balance, it will result in suspension wear and tear and in extreme cases damage to the suspension also. It could also result in a bumpy ride.
Old 5th April 2011, 09:51   #74
BHPian

Thanks for the quick reply nikhil. I have stock steel rims on both Alto and NHC.

So, will my NHC steel rims get damaged by the same procedure of removing weights with a hammer. Or are they strong enough and it wont be a problem if the same treatment is given to them.
Old 5th April 2011, 10:22   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I presume you mean when you check by taking your hands off the wheel? I feel if the pulling is due to road camber/undulations, it will gradually go left sometimes and also equally to the right. That is what happens when I check my Alto occasionally. Even at perfectly level stretches, it will go straight for quite some distance only at a particular speed. If you start to accelerate, it may begin to deviate - especially in FWD cars.

If it pulls consistently only to the left, or pulls even when you hold the wheel, there is a problem. If not, forget it. It will be better to get this checked by an experienced driver.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks