Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2010, 21:41   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
I have done about 9k km on these tyres and they are extremely grippy on dry and wet conditions, sidewall flex is low due to the high tyre pressure recommended by Merc (36 and 42 psi). Only complaint is a slight drop of grip in dusty conditions.

The tyres are quiet on the road almost non existent road noise (Am yet to take it on the highway). PS: Hardly any signs of wear and tear.

Rough use: I wouldn't want to in this ride.

Sire !

I thought the recommended pressure was 32 psi. I am also contemplating these for my W124, E 250D, though I have not gone thru the manual but 36 & 42 sounds kind of high. With tempretures of over 40 degrees

Though knowing your expertise, I would think you have done your research..

Please educate

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2010, 02:32   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Thanks for the information. By the way, did Yoko guys followed up regarding the issue even though its resolved?
No, but it is me who has to call back, that is how we left it the last time.
Old 30th April 2010, 09:38   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Sire !

I thought the recommended pressure was 32 psi. I am also contemplating these for my W124, E 250D, though I have not gone thru the manual but 36 & 42 sounds kind of high. With tempretures of over 40 degrees

Though knowing your expertise, I would think you have done your research..

Please educate

Cheers
I ran the tyres at 32 PSI originally but the steering seemed sluggish, and the rear a bit too soft. Went back to the company manual and the tyre pressure indicators on the petrol lid all said 36 and 42. Based on this I decided to give it a try and was very satisfied with the results.

However on the Highway I run at typically 32 and 34 on the front and rear.
Old 7th May 2010, 02:38   #64
Senior - BHPian

I thought that the road noise was resolved but this Monday I went to drop off a friend at the airport and the road noise came back on the Airport toll road. Later in the week took the car for 1st service and during the road test found the noise again on faridabad delhi road at around 90~100kmph.

Called the tyre dealer and he put the Yoko Manager back in touch with me. He was travelling outside Delhi but was very apologetic regarding the issue and promised that he would call and set up a meeting as soon as he got back to Delhi but did not hear from him. I will wait for his call during the first half later today and if I still do not hear from him will call him myself and try to get this thing sorted out.
Old 7th May 2010, 09:53   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Got the wheel bearings checked?
Old 7th May 2010, 11:38   #66
Senior - BHPian

yes that was done previously as well as during the first service a couple of days ago.
Old 12th May 2010, 14:37   #67
Senior - BHPian

OK, so the better part of last Sunday's first half was spent with the guy from Yokohama driving the Blue Streak over different road surfaces. We met at the dealers shop and he checked the tires, verified that they were new/originals and not grey market, checked the pressure and set off. The observation is that these tires are absolutely noise less over certain stretches including two flyovers that have concrete instead of coal tar and are noisy over some other surfaces where the carpeting is still coaltar but of a different nature/material? The noise level or pitch differs over different stretches.

Drove over to the airport toll road and observed that when driving in the middle lanes the noise is almost not there but the moment one drives in the right most lane which has a parapet wall the noise comes on. So it is more a case of noise reverberating of the wall rather than coming from the tyres. I repeated this drive later that day in the Zen shod on XM1s(8K) and again yesterday in the Aveo shod on 28K old NCT5s and observed the phenomenon all over again. Little noise in the middle lanes and a whole lot in the lane next to the parapet wall.

With the above experience in conjunction with the drive to Haridwar in the Cedia with 4 on board where the AVS dBs were almost noiseless and very comfortable over all types of road surfaces including some broken tarmac and some absolutely not car territory( first kilometre of Muzaffarpur bypass ) I am beginning to like them.

Last edited by khoj : 12th May 2010 at 14:49.
Old 25th May 2010, 16:57   #68
Senior - BHPian

What would be the price of 205/60/15 AVS DB V550?
Old 25th May 2010, 17:25   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
What would be the price of 205/60/15 AVS DB V550?
Rs.5000 per tire with bill and warranty in Delhi. I have the same size tires on my Elantra, i have already done 40k and they still have some tread left.
Old 25th May 2010, 17:37   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Rs.5000 per tire with bill and warranty in Delhi. I have the same size tires on my Elantra, i have already done 40k and they still have some tread left.
Thanks. How's the tyre noise at 40K? Grip in dry, wet and under hard braking?

I'm wondering if it would be an 'upgrade' over the MXV8's.
Old 25th May 2010, 17:40   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ I am very happy with the performance of the tires, they provide ES-100 like grip with a lot less noise and more comfort.
Old 25th May 2010, 17:48   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Thanks. How's the tyre noise at 40K? Grip in dry, wet and under hard braking?

I'm wondering if it would be an 'upgrade' over the MXV8's.
No. I assume this is for your Civic which came with MXV8s. The MXV8s are pretty decent. I changed my opinion on the MXV8s after using them on the Civic.

They get better with age. After 6,000 kms, they were gripping very well. The only gripe I had with them was that they locked up very early in the dry. I could feel the ABS kicking in very often.
Old 25th May 2010, 17:59   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
No. I assume this is for your Civic which came with MXV8s. The MXV8s are pretty decent. I changed my opinion on the MXV8s after using them on the Civic.

They get better with age. After 6,000 kms, they were gripping very well. The only gripe I had with them was that they locked up very early in the dry. I could feel the ABS kicking in very often.
The reasons why I would consider a change over the MXV8's are:
- Grip (am among the rare happy users of F1s ! Have used GSD2s and GSD3s)
- Looks
- 205 instead of 195 (this would surely ensure a tad more grip?)
- Around 2K per tyre extra for the upgrade, if I do it right now while the tyres are new.
- Tyre life is not that important a criteria. I'd be happy with 30-35K kms

Given these, I'm inclined to think there's a case to switch to the 550s. Wotsay?

Last edited by shuvc : 25th May 2010 at 18:02.
Old 25th May 2010, 18:38   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Nope. Still not convinced.

My opinion of the MXV8s have gone up tremendously after using them. They are really silent and comfortable and they are surprisingly grippy.

Of course, at the end, it is your decision, but I am not convinced.

Also, keep one thing in mind. Going to 205/60 R15 will lower your ground clearance. I've changed to 205/65 R15 Conti CPC2.
Old 27th May 2010, 01:12   #75
Senior - BHPian

Finally decided on the V550. Updated in the initial ownership thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1907274

This thread was a great influencer along with reviews elsewhere on the web.

@Nikhil, thanks for your inputs. This post of yours played on my mind a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I would rate Psycho's advice highly.

So, now my advice would be COnti CPC2 = V550 > Primacy LC.

This is for performance.

For outright comfort and silence, then it would have to be V550 = Primacy LC > Conti CPC2.

CPC2 is a little noisy. Michelins and this model of Yokos are among the most silent tyres in the market as of now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks