Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2009, 16:55   #1
BHPian

Michelin Energy XM1+ - Replace or Keep it ?

Hey All,

I searched through 'Tyres & Alloys section' a lot to find solution for my problem but could not find answer so posting it here.

XM1+ on my Palio Stile 1.6 has run for about 20000 kms now. But out of 5 tyres 2 are not in really good condition.

What I mean is one of the tyre was punctured and could not be repaired as it was bigger cut so I have put Tube in that one.

The fifth(which is in boot now) which was punctured 15 days back was run for about 300 meters after punctured. Because of this it has got cracks inside the inner wall and tyre shop told me not to use this tyre extensively. so its just spare one.

Because of all this I am bit scared to do any high speeds on higways now. The tyre shop guy told me not to exceed 80kmph as one of the tyres has tube in it with crack on the tyre. Before this I used to do 120-130 normally on express ways and sometimes touching 150-160s too.

The tyre shop guy told me that Michelins are generally soft rubber and not really suitable for indian style roads.

So what should I do now?

[1] Should I replace all these and buy 5 new tyres? (Bridgestone or Yoko)
[2] Change only 2 tyres (or maybe just 1)? But it will mean that 2 will be brand new and 3 will be bit old ones

Please advise

Cheers
Old 29th September 2009, 17:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

I suggest you go in for two new tyres only. Since the front wheels are supposed to wear out relatively faster than the rear ones, you can fit the new tyres on the front wheels and then rotate them evenly to balance them out.

If you were to go in for 5 new tyres then you would be losing out on the other three good tyres that you already have. Or do you have some takers for them? If so, then you might as well go in for 5 new ones.
Old 29th September 2009, 17:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

Panjak, if your drive is more on the bad roads don't go for XM1+, as it's more of a comfort tyre. Go for something like Bridgestone Turanza or any other tyre with a hard compound which will be able to endure the bad roads better than XM1+.
Old 29th September 2009, 18:56   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

If you managed to destroy your XM1+, it's highly unlikely any other tyre(with the exception of MRF and Apollo Amazer) would have survived. The BS turanza has a slightly harder sidewall compared to the XM1+ but not much.

The XM1+ has actually performed admirably. Very very few complaints and damages compared to some other Michelins.

I would say you stick to XM1+ and get 2 new tyres.
Old 29th September 2009, 23:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Are the roads you travel on that bad? I've been pretty rough on my xm1's and they seem to be doing more than ok.

If its from nails I dont think any other brand is going to help
Old 30th September 2009, 14:45   #6
BHPian

Thanks Guys. Well I dont drive on bad roads regularly. But drive out of Pune on some rough roads when I go for picnics.

Example : Some of the patches near Mulshi/Tamhini were bad. Also some patches to Bhandardara were bad.

I think tyre damage was due to sharp stones.

Anybody has any idea how much money would i get for these old tyres?
Old 30th September 2009, 19:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PankajP View Post
Example : Some of the patches near Mulshi/Tamhini were bad. Also some patches to Bhandardara were bad.

I think tyre damage was due to sharp stones.
What speeds were you doing while going through these rough patches?

If you are replacing only two tyres, please ensure that new tyres are of same size as others & mount new tyres on rear axle and not on front axle.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...irs-tyres.html

Off Topic: If you stay in western part of pune (Kothrud), I would like to have a look at tyres.

Last edited by sukiwa : 30th September 2009 at 19:22. Reason: added URL

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks