Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2009, 23:09   #1
BHPian

do old tyres have value

do old tyres have any value?

the last time i changed my stock tires to turanzas i was new so i just left my old tires at the dealers place.

this time im changing over to bs g3 my turanzas have done 38000 so old tires are just junk without any value?

is that correct?

will the dealer retread them and sell to some transport fella?

some gyan required here from the xperts

regards

praveen
Old 1st October 2009, 01:45   #2
BHPian

One of my almost new tyre got damaged which the company refused to replace. The dealer refused to buy it for anything so I carried it home. I approached my known Kabadi (the ones who buy old stuff) but he also refused anything for it but took it saying he will get it checked from other dealers. He got back saying he can offer Rs. 50 for it. When my other two tyres also got damaged, I collected it back from the kabadi and got all three replaced under warranty.
Old 1st October 2009, 09:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

There is a puncture shop right outside my house, he paid me 1000 bucks for my ancient nylon tyres (5tyres on the jeep). I dont know how he could pay me 1000 bucks because they were bald more bald than f1 tyres.
I got paid 750 for my wagonr tyres that were 6 years old but had done only 30k kms
Old 1st October 2009, 10:23   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

cooldude ---- you got paid 750/- per tyre or 750 for all 4 tyres?

Generally old tyres have no value. Most tyre shops buy it from you(for around 50-75rs) and then sell it to the raddi fellow for about the same price. If the raddi fellow offers him more, on a set of 400 or so tyres, the tyre shop might make a ''profit'' of 100 or so rupees.

Only in unusual cases where the ttyre size is really big can you expect something more than 100/- per tyre. The raddi guys usually strip the tyre of all it's rubber and re use the rubber! Dont know for what.

I dont know about other tyre dealers, but we buy it back from the customer only because of the nuisance value. Earlier, we werent buying back the tyres. The customer would take the old tyres for about a 100 metres or so and then dump the tyres by the side of the road. This led to huge problems for us with the city corporation. They accused us of dirtying the place. Then we had to do the usual bribing, paying the cleaners, etc to clear it. Finally, we just started buying it back from the customers.

Retreading is finished nowadays. At least for car tyres. No one uses retreaded tyres anymore. At the most trucks might use retreaded tyres.

If your tyre has a lot of tread left(say 50% or so), then the tyre dealer might buy it at more than a 100/- and TRY to sell it to someone who damaged one tyre and needs a cheap single tyre.

This of course depends on the tyre size. For the common sizes, you have a better chance of getting some value. But if your tyre size is an upsize, it's highly unlikely you will get anything as no dealer wants to end up with dead stock.
Old 1st October 2009, 11:40   #5
BHPian

cooldude, 1000 bucks for 5 tyres would be around 200 per tyre.As i understand,jeep tyres are in demand especially in hyd and kerala side. the guy who picked it up from you will retread them and sell it off to jeep taxi or the estate guys.
Old 1st October 2009, 18:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

I think Big bazzar buys tyres for more than the usual price that dealers etc offer on old tyres.
Old 3rd October 2009, 21:49   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
cooldude ---- you got paid 750/- per tyre or 750 for all 4 tyres?

Generally old tyres have no value. Most tyre shops buy it from you(for around 50-75rs)
Nikhil, I think I was lucky because I sold my 5 tyres for Rs 1500. The tyre had done around 57000 kms and it still would have easily done another 30000 kms without any problems. The main problem why I changed the tyres were that one of the OEM tyre had wobbling problem. No matter how many times I do the wheel alignment and balancing, the steering had a wobbling even at very low speeds.
Old 5th October 2009, 11:28   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodivasanth View Post
Nikhil, I think I was lucky because I sold my 5 tyres for Rs 1500. The tyre had done around 57000 kms and it still would have easily done another 30000 kms without any problems. The main problem why I changed the tyres were that one of the OEM tyre had wobbling problem. No matter how many times I do the wheel alignment and balancing, the steering had a wobbling even at very low speeds.
Definitely lucky"! Which size and which tyre?
Old 5th October 2009, 11:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

The only use I can think of for the old tyres is to line them up in your garage as bump guards.
Old 5th October 2009, 11:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
The only use I can think of for the old tyres is to line them up in your garage as bump guards.

Life buoys on boats, swing for children.
I have a few tyres in my room stuffed with cushions that make for some good seats.

It all depends on the condition of the tyres. Somewhat good tyres end up being knifed to deepen the thread and makes it way top the old market.

Last edited by beejay : 5th October 2009 at 12:02.
Old 5th October 2009, 11:52   #11
BHPian

Quote:

The raddi guys usually strip the tyre of all it's rubber and re use the rubber! Dont know for what.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Maybe for making baskets too: do old tyres have value-tyre_basket.jpg

I've seen these baskets being made out of old truck tyres. Pretty hard labour I must say!

The dealer from whom I purchased my latest set of tyres said these old tyres are retreaded and sold to school vans!
Old 5th October 2009, 12:44   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Definitely lucky"! Which size and which tyre?
Tyre make : Apollo Amazer
Size : 165/65R13 Radial
Old 5th October 2009, 13:05   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

what i hear is - old tyres are mostly used for rubber compound and raw material by breaking them down to their constituent parts and re-cycling them in the tyre industry mainly in retreads etc.

also - if the old tyres are only slightly used and the reason for discarding them is because of tyre upgrade or whatever, these used tyres find their way into the replacement market for price sensitive consumers - theres a pretty good business happening in this in the lesser known quarters of the big cities and definitely in the tier 2 and 3 cities where people are less particular about brand and tyre type but are interested in decent quality at a favourable cost:benefit ratio.
Old 7th October 2009, 21:28   #14
BHPian

Selling the used tyres

Am from Bangalore.

What I've found is that the best resale for the used tyres is in JC Road. This is from the folks who surround you as soon as you land at a tyre shop to buy new ones.

Depending on the condition of the tyre (number of punctures, cracks in the sidewalls, tread depth etc..), you can bargain per tyre and you can get a decent amount.

Nowhere else, you will be able to get the kind of price that you get in JC Road.

Iridium.
Old 8th October 2009, 12:50   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iridium View Post
What I've found is that the best resale for the used tyres is in JC Road. This is from the folks who surround you as soon as you land at a tyre shop to buy new ones.

Depending on the condition of the tyre (number of punctures, cracks in the sidewalls, tread depth etc..), you can bargain per tyre and you can get a decent amount.

Nowhere else, you will be able to get the kind of price that you get in JC Road.
Where exactly is this? And what kind of tyres are you talking of?

Would they buy (close to) end-of-life tyres?

I recently replaced 4 of my 195/60R15 GT3s with Goodyear Assurance at General Tyres, but the dealer didn't buy back. In fact they helped me pack the tyres in the boot and they now line my parking space. :(

But I don't mind a trip there if I can get a decent amount

Last edited by Glifford : 8th October 2009 at 12:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks