Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2009, 12:41   #31
BHPian

Everybody's discussing only about the Price. How about the Technicals of the tyres. Are they so advanced for the hefty price? Or Toyota thinks it can fool Indians.

7-8 years back, I just checked out the Insurance Estimate of a Qualis which was involved in a Big Accident. The Estimate was around 14 lacs. (New Vehicle would've cost around 7-8 lacs). So, obviously, the Insurance Company paid the money for Total Loss, rather than paying for the repairs.

My Point here is that Toyota is known to overprice the spares.
Old 8th October 2009, 12:52   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Somebody at Toyota gonna get hurt

nikhil: how much would you pay for the Dunlop if a customer comes to you?
And I would take Sudev's opinion regarding the tyres. Maybe they are good for highway but not for 4x4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
That isn't the impression I got after reading Sudev's review - they were apparently spinning away in the mildest of slush!

Anyone wanting to switch needs to convince himself that he's getting 4 tyres for the cost of one Dunlop I guess
I would also take Sudev's opinion. I was just stating what I've heard. I've had ZERO experience with these tyres!

But I dont think they are complete crap and changing the tyres at a hefty cost is not practical and wont have any tangible benefits unless the user wants to go off road heavily, like Sudev.

@jk --- No idea! It's still very new. We would probably buy it back for something around 6k a tyre I guess. But that is also no guarantee. We cant fix an amount right now. We need to see how we'll be able to re-sell these tyres. In all probability to people who have damaged one tyre and need one tyre. I'm sure they would rather get a removed tyre for 6k than a brand new Yoko at 10k.
Old 8th October 2009, 16:18   #33
Team-BHP Support

Just confirmed from Ravindu Toyota Senior Sales guy.

The Fortuner does indeed come with imported Dunlop tyres. The cost of these tyres is unknown to the dealers as it has come in one large consignment from Thailand.

These tyres are available only as OE. They cannot be purchased later on from the dealer. Even if one tyre is burst or defective it will not be replaced with the Dunlop. The replacement tyre offered at the dealer is only Bridgestone costing Rs. 10,100. So if one Dunlop goes it will be replaced only with BS.

The second batch of Fortuners will come with Bridgestone's as OE.
Old 8th October 2009, 16:44   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post

These tyres are available only as OE. They cannot be purchased later on from the dealer. Even if one tyre is burst or defective it will not be replaced with the Dunlop. The replacement tyre offered at the dealer is only Bridgestone costing Rs. 10,100. So if one Dunlop goes it will be replaced only with BS.

That brings the Q - What if a person needs to replace only one tyre?
Will that effect the performance or anything to have 3 dunlops and one bridgestone?
Old 8th October 2009, 16:46   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This probably confirms my suspicion as I stated before.
Old 8th October 2009, 16:49   #36
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Yes this appears to be true or at least a half truth...

Last weekend on my coorg visit I heard that one of my friend's neighbours had bought a new Fortuner from Mangalore. Apparently he had mentioned to my friend that each tyre would cost Rs 19500/- to 20,000/- to replace in case of some havoc.

I assume if one adds the cost of the wheel to this it could be higher but I m not sure of this 40,000/- estimate.

Isnt this quite mad?

considering that in another 24 months from now, there are bound to be at least some Fortuners hanging around in the used car market!
Old 8th October 2009, 16:56   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

40,000 bucks for single tire is daylight robbery its VERY expensive even if its 20k as mentioned by shankar.balan , even the run flats are cheaper compared to these tires.

If i had a Fortuner, i would upgrade to Michelin/Yokohama A/T tires and keep the dunlops at my place to auction them off later.

Last edited by .anshuman : 8th October 2009 at 17:01.
Old 8th October 2009, 17:05   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
That brings the Q - What if a person needs to replace only one tyre?
If its one only, then you use the Bridgestone as the stepney......
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Last weekend on my coorg visit I heard that one of my friend's neighbours had bought a new Fortuner from Mangalore. Apparently he had mentioned to my friend that each tyre would cost Rs 19500/- to 20,000/- to replace in case of some havoc.

I assume if one adds the cost of the wheel to this it could be higher but I m not sure of this 40,000/- estimate.
Well, as I mentioned, the cost of one imported Dunlop tyre for the Camry (confirmed by NCR dealer Galaxy Toyota) as of today is Rs 30,340 (incl of all taxes). So the cost of the imported Dunlop tyre for the Fortuner could very well be touching Rs 40,000.

The good thing is that Toyota have probably realized the absurdity very early on - which is why the dealers are telling customers that they "do not have stock" of the imported Dunlops, "do not know the prices" & are now suggesting Bridgestones.

Rudra, Toyota definitely has a Global OE supply agreement with Dunlop which explains why the Camry & Toyota come shod with it in India, despite Dunlop having packed up here. Toyota themselves may not be paying anywhere near 40k but that doesn't stop them from ripping off. As Ricky_63 has mentioned elsewhere on this thread, the OE tyres on the Audi A6 are also Dunlop & cost 36k each - the Fortuner's tyre size is bigger than the A6.

Last edited by suman : 8th October 2009 at 17:08.
Old 8th October 2009, 17:06   #39
BHPian

Quote:

The Fortuner does indeed come with imported Dunlop tyres. The cost of these tyres is unknown to the dealers as it has come in one large consignment from Thailand.
Does that mean 40k/tyre is just a guesstimate??
Old 8th October 2009, 17:17   #40
Senior - BHPian

Lol thats the most expensive tyre price I have ever heard.

Btw what makes these tyres so special to be so expensive apart from import tag ?
Old 8th October 2009, 17:51   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Suman --- Big companies like Toyota generally have variosu agreements with different tyre companies. The Camry actually comes with Yoko A348 tyres in 215/60 R16. So, if they have a contract with Dunlop worldwide(or in Japan), it doesnt mean they HAVE to sell vehicles in India with Dunlop tyres.
Old 8th October 2009, 20:42   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Surprising, I paid 25k for a set of four brand new 275/16's Dunlop Grandtreks (made in japan)

Even a 911's tyre doesn't cost that much
Exactly mate. I am enjoying the way people are tripping based on hearsay. No one has gotten a quote from the Toyota parts dept. Somebody said the each tire costs 40K..... and the story goes on ..

Actually I forgot these are custom handmade tires supplied only to Toyota Fortuner and Rolls Royce..
Old 8th October 2009, 22:09   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Well, as I mentioned, the cost of one imported Dunlop tyre for the Camry (confirmed by NCR dealer Galaxy Toyota) as of today is Rs 30,340 (incl of all taxes). So the cost of the imported Dunlop tyre for the Fortuner could very well be touching Rs 40,000.

The good thing is that Toyota have probably realized the absurdity very early on - which is why the dealers are telling customers that they "do not have stock" of the imported Dunlops, "do not know the prices" & are now suggesting Bridgestones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Exactly mate. I am enjoying the way people are tripping based on hearsay. No one has gotten a quote from the Toyota parts dept. Somebody said the each tire costs 40K..... and the story goes on ..
When a imported tyre for Camry can be Rs 30340/- (as Sumanji confirms after checking with Toyota dealers), why is it so difficult to believe that a imported Fortuner tyre can be in the range of ~Rs 40000/-? If its because it sounds absurd, well Rs 30340/- for a tyre is absurd too!!

Now, there is no way we can find the price from a Toyota dealer cause they have started offering Bridgestones.
Old 8th October 2009, 22:31   #44
Senior - BHPian

There is no way not to believe that Fortuner tires cost 40K. It is always possible. Those who not aware of the things please find out price of Skoda Fabia wheel cover. A single wheel cover cost almost Rs. 2500 +. Now somebody please explain what is special there plastic wheel cover of Fabia? This data I am quoting after reading one of thread in forum itself.

Price of OE Parts manufacturer can be manyfold, they know that with OE parts most of the owners emotion attached. They always advertise "Use OE parts only" for your mental satisfaction. Whatever be the price. Many of members here experiment with the tires but there are many owners who just want to replace tires with same company, same size and spec whatever OE manufacturer provided. No room for experiment for them.

You and me sitting in Team-BHP can find this pricing absurd or so but many of the owners are just plain owners and to everybody's surprise most of those owners do not surprise with the price factor at all.
Old 8th October 2009, 22:41   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viddy
Just confirmed from Ravindu Toyota Senior Sales guy
The replacement tyre offered at the dealer is only Bridgestone costing Rs. 10,100. So if one Dunlop goes it will be replaced only with BS.
Therefore, a Fortuner tyre costs 10K, only!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks