Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2009, 11:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

40K for a Fortuner tyre!

Nice pics Sudev
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
O.E. Tyres were biggest let down as they spun helplessly at least of slushy conditions.
I was shocked to hear from someone last week (he's a tyre man & knows his stuff) that these Dunlop tyres cost a whopping INR 40k each. They are imported & this is what it would cost someone to buy them from the Company.

The relevant spec-ed Bridgestones are available for a reasonable (in comparison to the Dunlops) Rs 9,750 each. Man oh man, what can I say!!!
Old 7th October 2009, 11:47   #2
BHPian

40K for a single tyre?? C'mon Toyota. OK you gave us the vehicle we wanted. But 40K is definitely running out of the boundary.
Old 7th October 2009, 14:46   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Nice pics Sudev

I was shocked to hear from someone last week (he's a tyre man & knows his stuff) that these Dunlop tyres cost a whopping INR 40k each. They are imported & this is what it would cost someone to buy them from the Company.
40K tire! are you sure? or is for 4 tires
Old 7th October 2009, 15:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
40K tire! are you sure? or is for 4 tires
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
40k? should be for 4 tyres!
Guys, it's 40k per tyre - it is absolutely senseless; I cannot figure out what Toyota were thinking when they put these Dunlops as OE.

And here we are talking about how much VFM the Fortuner is! I don't know at what prices Dunlop are supplying them to Toyota but that's straight 2 lacs in Retail for 5 tyres. The Fortuner could have been priced at least 1.5 lacs lower if shod on Bridgestones or Yokos?
Old 7th October 2009, 15:43   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Guys, it's 40k per tyre - it is absolutely senseless; I cannot figure out what Toyota were thinking when they put these Dunlops as OE.
They must have put these on Fortuner by mistake. Maybe they were meant for Landcruiser V8
Old 7th October 2009, 19:41   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Guys, how the hell can each tire be 40K? Please turn on your brains before you proceed further with this assumption. Price this tire in any international online tire sales site. Even if you add 500% import duty, it will not be 40K a tire.

Please verify things before you post such absurdities. Suman, I am surprised it came from you of all people !! so much for you guy who knows his stuff about tires !!

Last edited by 4x4addict : 7th October 2009 at 19:43.
Old 7th October 2009, 20:53   #7
PCS
BHPian

Hi 4X4 addict !

Do not blame suman on this. He is indeed correct !!!

A Fortuner tyre costs upto 40K. this was confirmed by a salesman in the dealership.

Do check for yourself in any of the showrooms.

One of my otherfriend also works for a toyota dealership and he has also confirmed the same. You can ask any service centres of Toyota
Old 7th October 2009, 21:12   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Guys, how the hell can each tire be 40K? Please turn on your brains before you proceed further with this assumption. Price this tire in any international online tire sales site. Even if you add 500% import duty, it will not be 40K a tire.

Please verify things before you post such absurdities. Suman, I am surprised it came from you of all people !! so much for you guy who knows his stuff about tires !!
He may be correct. Toyota must be insisting wannabe Fortuner buyers to book these tyres too so that the delivery of the vehicle may be expedited
Old 7th October 2009, 21:32   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Sorry guys, but I will stake my reputation this. What ever the Toyota salesman says about the tire, you can get this size tyre from any good tire dealer/importer for 1/4 the price !!

ACS FYI, 40K means 40,000 rupees for a 265/65/17 tires is absolutely impossible. Guys, these are Dunlop GrandTrek AT20 tires. These cost US$117 per tire. How much import duty and profit would you guys like to add to this? Be my guest and knock yourself. It is easier to listen to so called expert salesmen in car dealerships. (Shaking my head in disbelief)

Dunlop Grandtrek AT20

Last edited by 4x4addict : 7th October 2009 at 21:38.
Old 7th October 2009, 22:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

@Suman - I tend to agree with 4x4addict.
40k for a tyre is indeed absurd and if this is indeed true can the logic behind this be checked with Toyota?
Old 8th October 2009, 10:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

The price on the tyre is probably correct. Each OE tyre (Dunlop) for Audi A6 is 35K, so maybe the 40K for the bigger Dunlop is correct.

It is another matter that you can get a Yokohama S drive for the Audi for around 12K.

Talk about ripping customers !!
Old 8th October 2009, 10:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry guys, but I will stake my reputation this. What ever the Toyota salesman says about the tire, you can get this size tyre from any good tire dealer/importer for 1/4 the price !!
ACS FYI, 40K means 40,000 rupees for a 265/65/17 tires is absolutely impossible. Guys, these are Dunlop GrandTrek AT20 tires. These cost US$117 per tire. How much import duty and profit would you guys like to add to this? Be my guest and knock yourself. It is easier to listen to so called expert salesmen in car dealerships. (Shaking my head in disbelief)
4x4addict, I think you missed the point completely. It doesn't matter what the Tirerack prices are - what is relevant is what you'd have to pay if you were to buy these from a dealer here. For this reason, dealers are now selling the Bridgestone equivalent at INR 9,750 (refer my first post on the subject). The point is - if someone needs a tyre or two, they will either end up paying the absurd price for the Dunlop or they will have a set of mixed tyres (as in Dunlop or Bridgestone). As of now, from what I understand, even the Dunlops are in short or zero supply.

IMHO, no tyre importer is going to import one or two tyres in for you (unless perhaps he's a good friend of yours) so its pointless talking about the same.

While on the subject, let me tell you that its not uncommon that imported tyres cost the earth. Allow me to give you a live example - the Camry uses Imported Dunlop tyres as OE. Do you know how much each tyre costs at the Dealer? Rs 30,340 inclusive of all taxes. Don't believe me? Call up your nearest dealer, ask to be connected to the Store & check (provided they have it in stock).

In the light of this, what is so unbelievable about the fact that a Fortuner tyre costs 40k????? LOL..........

Another live example (though 6 months old) - our company Nissan Teana needed one tyre replacement. These were (again) Imported ones - we checked with the dealer, they quoted an unbelievable Rs 15,000 for each tyre. I hunted around & was lucky to find a shop in Lajpat Nagar who had one left over - he gave us a price of Rs 8,900!!! The "Tirerack.com" price for the tyre in question? US$ 109. Does the 15,000 make any sense? No. Would we have had an option if we didn't get it in the Open market? No, we would have had to buy from the Dealer at 15k per tyre!

So, wake up & smell the coffee mate, we're talking about the situation as it exists & not mere theory.

Quote:
so much for you guy who knows his stuff about tires !!
Just FYI, the "guy who knows his stuff about tires" is the person that quite a few of us buy our tyres from. He is one of the biggest in Gurgaon & he is the supplier to one of the largest Toyota dealerships in the NCR. He would definitely know far more about tyres & their pricing than me & a lot of others (not sure about you though) so I find no reason to disbelieve him. In fact, while he finds the Dunlop pricing ridiculous, he's quite happy about it since he's ending up selling a whole lot more Bridgestones - customers can replace 4 for the price of one Dunlop, rather than having a set of mixed tyres on a premium SUV.

Quote:
Please verify things before you post such absurdities. Suman, I am surprised it came from you of all people !!
Perhaps you need to go out & check specifics at the dealerships - I did whatever homework I thought was necessary before posting
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
The price on the tyre is probably correct. Each OE tyre (Dunlop) for Audi A6 is 35K, so maybe the 40K for the bigger Dunlop is correct.

It is another matter that you can get a Yokohama S drive for the Audi for around 12K.

Talk about ripping customers !!
Ricky, thanks for reiterating. What most people don't realize is that Dunlop is no longer here in India, hence the so-called "imported" OE & the chance to rip off big time!

Last edited by suman : 8th October 2009 at 10:36.
Old 8th October 2009, 10:49   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry guys, but I will stake my reputation this. (Shaking my head in disbelief)

Dunlop Grandtrek AT20
What you are saying makes sense. Well, if the landed prices of imported tyres are far lower than dealer quoted prices, then this price gap implies a business opportunity.

Especially if Fortuner is expected to sell 10,000 units every year - 50,000 potential tyres assuming a tyre life of 50,000 km, and say every car does 20,000 km a year then 1.6 tyres per car per year.

What do you say?

Cheers,
Old 8th October 2009, 10:53   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

40K for a tyre? Even the BMW 5 series runflats cost 22,000 (if I remember Sahil's post correctly) from an authorised outlet!! If this information is true, seems like a terrible oversight on Toyotas part. Even though one can easily buy the same tyre / size in the after-market for 8000 - 9000, such absurb pricing is just not done. Hopefully, its corrected sooner rather than later.

Existing Fortuner owners would do well in upgrading to say a Michelin LTX series (example) at the time of delivery itself. Not only would they get better performance, but even if a tyre is damaged, replacement will be way more convenient.
Old 8th October 2009, 10:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Existing Fortuner owners would do well in upgrading to say a Michelin LTX series (example) at the time of delivery itself. Not only would they get better performance, but even if a tyre is damaged, replacement will be way more convenient.
You are absolutely correct, this makes so much more sense. It would be interesting to see how the dealers handle the exchange - logically they should be paying back money to the customer for the upgrade though I'm sure they'll try & cover it up

Most Viewed